• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Down Packable Coat in April?

barbfox5759

Time of past OR future Camino
June 2013
Hi Everyone,
This is kind of embarassing! I am leaving in 2 days, for my 3rd Camino and will primarily be walking the Camino Frances in April. My previous Caminos have been in June and June/July, where I actually left my sleeping bag behind at SJPDP before heading out This worked out very well for me. I am really trying to keep my pack very light, and have packed and repacked quite a few times.

I know that one can never know what the weather will be, I am expecting plenty of rain in April and it looks like it might be chilly in the mornings, I get cold easily. Because I am carrying a sleeping bag this time, it definitely seems to take up my down jacket space, eventhough it is light. I have a rain coat, a down vest, a merino wool shirt and a fleece, which I am assuming would be just fine, but I thought I would get some advice from someone who has been there in April. I was just planning on bringing it, but the sleeping bag, which I feel is necessary this time of year has really consumed my space.

I am so excited to start my Camino, I just need to sort this last piece out. What do you think?
Thanks so much,
Barb

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I have a rain coat, a down vest, a merino wool shirt and a fleece
As well as a sleeping bag, right?

Now are you asking about an additional down jacket, or is it the same as the "down vest"?

I wouldn't take both down jacket and down vest.

(I liked my down vest, as it was not so bulky or hot for wearing in my sleeping bag or under my rain jacket.)

Last edited:
Take the sleeping bag, fleece and down vest, although all three are a tad overkill in April, so prepare to ditch one if it's too hot. If the down jacket is just to keep warm in the evening, then rather wrap your down sleeping bag round your shoulders . . .

Down might get wet in the spring. I have a light packable synthetic puffer. Probably too late for that now, though.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Ok, yes, I wore my synthetic puffer in Galicia this winter to hike in and it rained almost every day. I wore it under my Altus rain poncho.

Evenings in the spring /summers and also early mornings for walking, I wore layers of wool t-shirt, light wool hoodie, and my long sleeved sunshirt. I had a buff, scarf and light gloves as an extra layer. The scarf, I also wore some evenings for warmth and fashion.

You don't know how warm or cold it will be and on my first Camino, I mailed all my warmer stuff to Ivar from Santo Domingo in early June and a week later it was really cold again.

I have learned that you can always add something from the donation box in most albergues for warmth or go to an Asian Bazaar and get something for the short term. Another option, take an old sweatshirt or hoodie that you can leave in a donation box as it gets warmer.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
As well as a sleeping bag, right?

Now are you asking about an additional down jacket, or is it the same as the "down vest"?

I wouldn't take both down jacket and down vest.

(I liked my down vest, as it was not so bulky or hot for wearing in my sleeping bag or under my rain jacket.)
Thanks for your response. Yes, I was asking about both jacket and vest. Taking the vest is kind of the way I am leaning. I appreciate you thoughts.
Barb

Ok, yes, I wore my synthetic puffer in Galicia this winter to hike in and it rained almost every day. I wore it under my Altus rain poncho.

Evenings in the spring /summers and also early mornings for walking, I wore layers of wool t-shirt, light wool hoodie, and my long sleeved sunshirt. I had a buff, scarf and light gloves as an extra layer. The scarf, I also wore some evenings for warmth and fashion.

You don't know how warm or cold it will be and on my first Camino, I mailed all my warmer stuff to Ivar from Santo Domingo in early June and a week later it was really cold again.

I have learned that you can always add something from the donation box in most albergues for warmth or go to an Asian Bazaar and get something for the short term. Another option, take an old sweatshirt or hoodie that you can leave in a donation box as it gets warmer.
You have a lot of Caminos under your belt! That sounds like good advice, all of it. Did you hike the Camino Frances in the last few months? Where are you headed for your 2025 Camino?

Thanks for everthing.
Barb

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
You have a lot of Caminos under your belt! That sounds like good advice, all of it. Did you hike the Camino Frances in the last few months? Where are you headed for your 2025 Camino?

Thanks for everthing.
Barb
I worked at two different albergues over on the Aragones the past two summers and walked part of the CF and Aragones those years. I did the Sarria to Santiago stretch with my husband in June 2023 to prep for a winter Camino with students in December and January this semester. We enjoyed a quiet winter pilgrimage. I hope to volunteer next winter again at one or more albergues and also walk the VdlP Feb to April 2025 timeframe.

I love the different seasons on the Camino and enjoy working and walking in different time periods. My advice is just to try to remain flexible. If you need help or see others who need it, then communicate that with other pilgrims and your hospitalera. Amazing what people can do together that they cannot do alone.

A selection of Camino Jewellery

Most read last week in this forum

Hi, can I get second hand poles from Casa Ivar? Happy to make donation. Walking from Santiago to Muxia, then the Primitivo. Will return them when done.....thanks
New user here. Hello to you all. New to the forum but not to the Camino. I was told about this Forum whilst I walking the lovely scenic 'Camino Norte'. I'm planning walking another in June.
Hi, A couple years ago I flew into Geneva and took a train to Laussane to begin my Francigena. Next year I would like to fly into Geneva and walk the south side - France into Aigle, Switzerland...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back