Ebro and Soriano

Jakke

Jul 10, 2016
Finland
Time of past OR future Camino
Several in Poland, Finland, Portugal and Spain
Did the Via Verda steal the Camino's thunder?

This old peregrino has been walking along the Rio Ebro to Soria and the Parque del Rio Lobos.

As you can guess, it was a trip full of surprises, a burnt neck, Camino angels, looong stages, difficulties and blessings.

I began in Tortosa, from which I followed the Ebro Westward. In the bus to Tortosa I met a gentlemen, who was otherwise well informed about the Camino, but did not know a camino went right through his hometown - Tortosa.

Fletchas and conchas are few and far between. Instead, the Via Verda GR and other caminos are well publicised. Pity. Since I did not meet other peregrinos, it felt like I was not on a real camino.

The nuns at the Albergue Enric d'Osso were super friendly and helpful. The oranges from their orchard were great.

It was often very hard to get stamps. For example in Benifallet you are given a code to a little box where you'll find a key to your room. You meet nobody. In Zaragoza there is one central place to get a stamp and even shop owners know about that and refer you to it.

In Zaragoza I fell down a flight of stairs and broke a rib. One of my sons walked with me from Soria to the marvelous Parque Cañon del Rio Lobos.

The lack of any kind of transportation during the weekend from Ucero until late Sunday afternoon, combined with no free beds anywhere North of the Parque meant we had to stay three nights in Ucero. That turned out to be a blessing in disguise. There was plenty to see.

Special was also the staff of Hotel El Balcón del Cañon, who noticed my painful back. They went well above and beyond to be helpful. Great place.

April was this year a good month for a camino. I recommend the Via Verda (old railroad turned into a good path) and the Soriano. Just remember that "the more you put into it, the more you'll get out of it" as a camino. Prepare well.

Buen camino!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Apr 4, 2007
Time of past OR future Camino
Francese 2002, Cami San Jaume 2018, Norte 2023
I followed the Camino up the Ebro and then to Soria about 8 years ago. It's extraordinary. I love the backroads Caminos and they are an extraordinary introduction to the old Spain, far away from tourists. You are correct that many don't even know that there is a Camino there.

For those of us who are sellomaniacs, I suggest in descending order--1) the parish church-- either after the mass, or by asking around for the keyholder, who may have the sello, 2) the ayuntamiento, 3) the police stations, 4) the Centro de Salud, 5) the Correos, 6) any bar or hostal, 7) the farmacia or any business. Spain is a sello-society.

I hope that you feel better and can continue with this wonderful part of Spain.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Most read last week in this forum

As I walked to Calzadilla de la Cueza today (long straight road), probably prompted by noisy torch-bearing pilgrims who got up at 4:20am (5 o’clock is bad enough, but seriously? We couldn’t leave...
Hi all, just a quickie, Has anyone else noticed that the older you get, the larger the ratio of medication: kit you carry in your rucksack? This time round it appears to be around 60% walking...
Hi Guys. I plan to walk the Camino (811km) next spring. I need suggestions from pilgrims who have walked and are still walking the Camino this April. How was the weather? Did you have too many...
I'm at the airport, suddenly being nostalgic. If you had to choose one sello as your most valuable, why would it be that one? Could be a religious or spiritual experience, the people you met...
Can someone put together a calendar of holidays in Spain for pilgrims to use as part of their planning? I’ve never gotten stuck, but it seems that, once or twice, posters are caught trying to...
Just after 9am this morning I turned the last corner of the Camino Frances and stood in front of the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela!! It's been 33 days since I left Saint Jean Pied de Port...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.