Electrical Adaptors for Spain and Portugal

Curlygirl

Feb 16, 2014
Halifax, NS, Canada
Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances - August - September 2015
I am doing some last minute packing and I have a question about electrical adaptors. I bought a Plug adaptor kit for Europe. I believe Spain uses a type C adaptor, however my kit contains two kinds of Type C adaptors, one is 4.0mm and the other is 4.8mm. Which one is for use in Spain and Portugal? The only thing we will be plugging in is a cell phone.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

MichaelSG

Retired member
Jun 3, 2014
Singapore
Not enough
"European electrical outlets come in different sizes and shapes. On the Continent, outlets normally require a plug with two round prongs about 0.19 inch (4.8 mm) in diameter and 0.72 inch (19 mm) apart. This is known as the the Schuko plug. Outlets in Italy and Switzerland and some older hotels in other countries accept a plug with slightly smaller prongs, 0.15" (4 mm) in diameter. This is known as the Europlug. The Schuko plug looks like a Euro plug at first glance but it does not fit in these outlets. Neither plug works in Britain and Ireland."

source: http://www.enjoy-europe.com/hte/chap11/electric.htm

In summary, I think it is the 4.8mm one that you want. Buen Camino!

Reactions: movinmaggie
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

movinmaggie

Veteran Member
Jan 6, 2015
Victoria, BC Canada

Most read last week in this forum

Hello, I want to make El Camino from SJPDP (Plus a few days in Portugal and Finisterre) with only one backpack. I am thinking of purchasing the Osprey Aether Plus 60, is it a good option? Or what...
In a quandry about whether to wear my hiking sandals or leather hiking boots on the Camino.
Hi everyone I'm really having problems with planning what to pack for my walk from SJPP during mid March. From what I understand the Napolean route will still be closed? And the big headache is...
My daughter is coming with me and wondering if a 2-piece swimsuit is appropriate, or if she needs a 1-piece. Suggestions?
Best app to keep family and friends updated on your Camino whereabouts?
I'm currently refining my packing list for the Camino Frances, starting in SJPDP on September 24, and walking through to the end of October/beginning of November. While I understand that the...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.