Etapes from Salamanca

Brigidam

Sep 15, 2013
I plan to walk from Salamanca to Santiago via Sanabrés. Some of the etapes seem to be very long, up to 40 km. I can walk no more than 25 km a day. Does anyone know if there are albergues and/or pensions between these long etapes, so that I can be sure to avoid having to walk 30-40 km?

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

jirit

Veteran Member
Dec 31, 2010
Canada
www.verderamedia.com
Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances 2007,
Via Francigena Italy, 2008,
Jakobsweg Austria 2010,
Camino Frances 2011,
Le Puy to Lourdes 2012,
Via de la Plata 2013,
Future:
Ökumenischer (Via Regia), Germany,
Lycian Way, Turkey
Reactions: grayland and mspath
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Brigidam

Sep 15, 2013
Thanks a lot! It is my first time on via de la Plata. I can see that on many albergues there are not many beds. Have any of you experienced that the albergue is full when you get there? And if it is, and you are too tired to walk any further, what do you do? To take a taxi would be the last thing I would do. Is there a bus line on the route?

grayland

Veteran Member
Dec 29, 2008
Tucson, Arizona
Yes
The numbers of Pilgrims on the VdlP are much less than other routes...except from Orense which is the 100 km mark on the Sanabres. It gets a bit crowded then.

I actually did the VdlP in mid August and had no problems with full albergues. I was the only one in the albergues..night after night. I had a full choice of beds.

I started to see others about Salamanca...and then the rest of the way.

Have you done other routes?
If you d0 run into a full albergues...there should be alternative choices such as pensions. I really do not think that full albergues are something you will need to have concern over....it is not the CF.

Reactions: Martyduc
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Brigidam

Sep 15, 2013
Thanks for your answer!

I did CF three times. Last time in 2013.

I just saw on Google Earth that the way from Salamanca to El Cubo de tierra del Vino is along a very big highway all the way. Looks like a tiring etape to start. So I think maybe I will start in Zamora.

SYates

Camino Fossil AD 1999, now living in Santiago de C
Oct 15, 2012
Santiago de Compostela
egeria.house
First: Camino Francés 1999
Last: Santiago - Muxia 2019

Now: http://egeria.house/
... I actually did the VdlP in mid August and had no problems with full albergues. I was the only one in the albergues..night after night. ...

No surprise! Everybody else had died of dehydration, exhaustion and sun stroke me thinks ...

Glad you lived to tell the tale! SY

Reactions: KinkyOne

Rajy62

Sep 13, 2013
Montreal
Frances 2013, Norte/primitivo 2014, vdlp (2015)
I plan to walk from Salamanca to Santiago via Sanabrés. Some of the etapes seem to be very long, up to 40 km. I can walk no more than 25 km a day. Does anyone know if there are albergues and/or pensions between these long etapes, so that I can be sure to avoid having to walk 30-40 km?
I am also planning 20-25km stage. Taking the stage schedule @jirit produced.
If you like maps/elevation profile, you can download that pdf from the resources section as well.
Gerald kelly's vdlp guide lists all the accommodations along the route as well, i attach that here.

Attachments

• ViadelaPlataGuide.pdf
    87.6 KB · Views: 34
Reactions: jirit
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

LauraK

Feb 13, 2006
Dallas, Texas, USA
Leon-Santiago (2004) Roncesvalles-Leon (2006) Camino Frances (2012) Kumano Kodo-Japan (2014) Camino Sanabres/Salamanca-Santiago (March 2015) Camino Del Salvador and Camino Primativo (Oct 2015)
I recently returned from walking Salamanca to Santiago. Most of my etapes were no more than 25 km. and several were less. I only walked 32 km on three days and two of those days could have been shorter since there were albergues open in villages I passed through. Even the 30 km days were doable for an out of shape 61 year old that didn't train before leaving for the Camino. I completed my Camino in 20 days. I stayed in two casa rurals due to railway workers taking up rooms. I used the Via de la Plata guide by Gerald Kelly and an app I downloaded to my phone on the VdlP by Melanie Radziki McManus. She walked in March 2014 and has some good tips especially regarding the detours due to the railroad construction. I think Gronze.com was the most helpful source for planning my etapes. You can creat a personalized chart that shows all of the towns with albergues/pensions, altitude and distance. Hope this helps.

Reactions: eden8 and Rajy62

LTfit

Veteran Member
Mar 6, 2010
The Netherlands
On all my Plata trips (via the Sanabrés) I used the Spanish site www.godesalco.com. Click on Vía de la Plata then Planificador. It allows you to click on the distance you want to walk and you can make up your own stages. It says whether there are albergues, hostales etc. You can also download profiles of each stages.

As others have mentioned Jirits lists are very helpful.

The Sanabrés in general has the posibility to split up stages, which is not always possible from Sevilla.

I walked from Zamora July 2013 and from Salamanca this past October. Neither times were the albergues full.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rajy62 and jirit

Jenyat53

Apr 13, 2012
Canberra, Australia
2013, 2014, 2016, 2018, 2019
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Most read last week in this forum

Hi Friends! I'm new to the group (from Australia) after walking nine previous Camino's, and currently planning the VDLP with friends for March/April 2026. I've been quietly lurking while putting...
Does Salamanca to Cuba del Vino (stage 20) involve 20km on tarmac, on the N-630? Or does the Camino run as a separate track, alongside (not on!) the asphalted road, and this more comfortable for...
Hi All, Greetings from the VdlP. We are a small bunch about 12 to 15 peregrine and some people biking. We're a friendly lot getting to know each other well. Most people here have walked...
Hi, it's not on Gronze, but it is on the Salamanca Tourist Office website. Tried ringing the number given, but no answer. Sent a message to the tourist office, but no reply...is the albuerge...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides