• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

EU Ruling On Bookings.Com

Time of past OR future Camino
September-October 2021
I did not use Bookings.com during my Camino, but most pilgrims I met did. And from this site it is evident that most people use Bookings at least some of the time.
This article is for those of you who use Bookings.

(Sorry, I do not know how to share the article directly to the Forum in my Android. This is from DW News).

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
A selection of Camino Jewellery
Seems early to tell the specifics about what this will mean, but I hope the result is that the fees they charge lodgings will be lowered. That would make it more workable for the smaller places on the Camino that can't really afford to give a percentage off the top to Booking.

I hope the result is that the fees they charge lodgings will be lowered.
I don’t know what that article means in practical terms and how it is relevant for consumers.

So there is now a Digital Markets Act, and Alphabet (Google), Amazon, Apple, ByteDance (TikTok), Meta (Facebook), Microsoft, and Booking.com have been designated as gatekeepers under this EU law. It is about competition law. It became applicable on 2 May 2023. It aims at ensuring a higher degree of competition in European digital markets by preventing large companies from abusing their market power and by allowing new players to enter the market.

I get the impression that it does not change much if anything for people who use Booking.com during the next six months and little if anything afterwards.

If anyone wants to dive into this:

Not prime Camino Forum discussion material, imho. :cool:

Last edited:
Seems early to tell the specifics about what this will mean, but I hope the result is that the fees they charge lodgings will be lowered. That would make it more workable for the smaller places on the Camino that can't really afford to give a percentage off the top to Booking.
Nothing stops those establishments from having multiple rates, like most hotels.

I use booking.com to find lodgings, but will book directly: you often get better prices, or at a minimum the same price when you say you found this rate on booking.com.

When I did use booking.com, a few time the hotelier bribed me with drinks to cancel and book directly, and a few times the booking was cancelled outright by the hotelier and was then asked to pay directly...

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
IMHO, all the intermediate (between pilgrims and hospitaleros) on the Camino should be avoided when possible, because they do business with the Camino.

I don’t know what that article means in practical terms and how it is relevant for consumers.

So there is now a Digital Markets Act, and Alphabet (Google), Amazon, Apple, ByteDance (TikTok), Meta (Facebook), Microsoft, and Booking.com have been designated as gatekeepers under this EU law. It is about competition law. It became applicable on 2 May 2023. It aims at ensuring a higher degree of competition in European digital markets by preventing large companies from abusing their market power and by allowing new players to enter the market.

I get the impression that it does not change much if anything for people who use Booking.com during the next six months and little if anything afterwards.

If anyone wants to dive into this:

Not prime Camino Forum discussion material, imho. :cool:
I originally posted this, not because it was of interest to me, but because I felt it might be of interest to those who use Bookings.com.
(I did not use Bookings.com).

I had no idea there was such a thing as "prime Camino Forum discussion material".

In the future, and to alleviate any suffering of the enlightened and educated class of Forum members, I'll strive to uphold the discussion material standards of the Camino Forum--whatever that is.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Seems early to tell the specifics about what this will mean, but I hope the result is that the fees they charge lodgings will be lowered
I tried to read up a bit about this topic, especially as it concerns the hostelry sector in Spain. I don't see that the DMA addresses this issue. Here are two relevant articles by HostelTur. HostelTur is a platform for the Spanish tourism sector. The articles can be easily read in a browser's automatic translation mode:

I originally posted this, not because it was of interest to me, but because I felt it might be of interest to those who use Bookings.com.
standards of the Camino Forum
We like to keep the forum threads generally on topic about the Camino. If someone is posting a link to another internet site, it is helpful if they make a comment about why it might be relevant to the Camino and pilgrims. Then, if others have trouble accessing the link, or they prefer not to go to websites they are not confident of, they still have an idea of what the article was about.

If you didn't read the article, you wouldn't realize that it was only about a technicality in classifying different internet platforms - specifically Booking and Twitter/X. Nothing about how Booking operates or is used.

Last edited:
I did not use Bookings.com during my Camino, but most pilgrims I met did. And from this site it is evident that most people use Bookings at least some of the time.

(Sorry, I do not know how to share the article directly to the Forum in my Android. This is from DW News).
You don't have to like Booking.com or advance bookings at all.
To avoid the bed race at the age of 77, I made most of my 2024 Camino bookings 4-5 months ago via Booking. I can see the advantages:
1) I can always cancel all my bookings free of charge up to 2-3 days before the overnight stay.
2) I don't have to pay anything in advance for 80% of my bookings
3) even if I pay in advance, the cancellation option is not restricted and refunds are not a problem
4) I have a reasonable written agreement with the accommodation provider, which seems a bit safer to me than a WhatsApp or verbal agreement over the phone.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

I could not find this on DW, but try Reuters
https://www.reuters.com/technology/...-strict-tech-rules-investigates-x-2024-05-13/

Most read last week in this forum

I have noticed a few threads about cards and with drawing money. For me as a UK citizen with the top 3 overseas cards, Chase, Clarirty and Barclay card, the main issue is where to find low fee ATM...
I found this interesting, and thought others might too...
Hi I am curious to know what snake this is, just after Astorga before Murias de Rechivaldo ... lovely little thing!
Got a notification from my Phone that we started our first Camino 8 years ago today... We accidently left our phone charger and Kindle charger at Orrison along with our euro plug adapter and...
After walking in rainy and chilly Galicia for about a week I ended up in a warm hotel room, feverish and with a cold. And I asked myself: why am I doing this? It felt like truancy, but I decided...
We are leaving Sahagún and can’t find any coffee for breakfast. Any advice or has someone seen any on the way. Saludos Nando

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back