Euros or Francs?

kmccue

Feb 4, 2015
Time of past OR future Camino
We are starting our VF trip in Aigle, heading to Lucca in September. Will we need francs in the Suisse section (5 days) of the walk...or will most everyone take euros?

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

pepi

Feb 1, 2020
Switzerland
Last: Sept 2022
next 🤷
Thanks. I was thinking for food in bars, and accomodations. So yes, I will bring some francs.
In pre-Covid, small businesses like kiosks, bars etc used to refuse cards or put a minimum spending amount. But now, all is changed. I mentioned contactless and fast Apple Pay, which simplifies payment procedures.

Reactions: Marbe2 and pitztop

pitztop

Solvitur ambulando
Apr 1, 2014
Birmensdorf, Switzerland
2022 - Camino de Levante
I agree with @pepi. I live in Switzerland. Paying with euros at grocery stores, restaurants, kiosks, etc. is complicated and disadvantageous at best. Apple Pay, Twint, and/or credit cards are accepted in most businesses, but it is also a good idea to have a little cash on hand - just in case.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!

pepi

Feb 1, 2020
Switzerland
next 🤷
To set up Apple Pay, you need to have an iPhone, if instead, you use an android device, it's Google Pay, Trecile is right of course.
To install either it is easy peasy, takes 2 minutes. Look up this site.

As for cash, if you take out 50 CHF p.person from an ATM, and in combination with one of the said apps, it will last "forever", in my case I often need 2 weeks to spend it.

Reactions: Bob from L.A. !

Marbe2

Dec 5, 2015
2015-2023 walked all or part of CF 11 times
In Covid times you will keep everyone safer by paying by card or phone. Your thoughtfulness is appreciated in trying to save them, at most, maybe 50 cents for a small purchase. However, in Covid times by making them less susceptible to germs, IMO, you are doing a greater kindness…keeping them and yourself safer!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Corned Beef

Veteran Member
May 25, 2019
Near Canterbury
umap.openstreetmap.fr
2024 Portuguese/ VF (South) / VF Grand St Bernard
As for cash, if you take out 50 CHF p.person from an ATM, and in combination with one of the said apps, it will last "forever", in my case I often need 2 weeks to spend it.

Passing though Montreux, I stopped at an ATM to get some cash for food/buses. Decided to go for CHF200 and the ATM dutifully issued the CHF200 - as 1 note.

Didn't want to get on a bus with only a single note so walked into town.

• Haha
Reactions: Richard Smith

pepi

Feb 1, 2020
Switzerland
next 🤷
Passing though Montreux, I stopped at an ATM to get some cash for food/buses. Decided to go for CHF200 and the ATM dutifully issued the CHF200 - as 1 note.

Didn't want to get on a bus with only a single note so walked into town.
ATM's in Switzerland let you choose "large bills" or "small bills", maybe you overlooked? 🙂

Steve Taylor

Aug 3, 2019
Shrewsbury, England
stevetaylorscamino.home.blog
June 2019 Sarria to Santiago Sept 2019 Logrono to Burgos Aug 2020 St Jean Pied De Port to Logrono
We are starting our VF trip in Aigle, heading to Lucca in September. Will we need francs in the Suisse section (5 days) of the walk...or will most everyone take euros?
I used my Starling Bank card in Spain last year. It's a kind of credit card, but you pre-load it with funds transferred from your bank account. There are other similar cards (I think Monza is one) and one advantage is that if you lose it, you can cancel the card, but even if it does get used fraudulently, you'll only lose the amount that was loaded on to the card.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Marcus-UK

Old Git
May 13, 2015
Birmingham
Camino Ingles 2016 Camino Portuguese 2017
To set up Apple Pay, you need to have an iPhone, if instead, you use an android device, it's Google Pay, Trecile is right of course.

I still have French francs left over from business trips many years ago. Nearly everyone accepts cards,Googlepay, Revolut etc.

gloria lowe

Arizona is my home
Apr 30, 2016
Tempe Arizona US
2014, 17, 18, 19, 21

Being technically challenged I have a question about Apple Pay or any card on your phone. When you use your phone to pay must it be connected to WiFi or some phone service to use? When I’m walking I keep my data off and connect to WiFi only at end of the day. How does it work?

F

Former member 62607

In 2019 we had to use swiss francs, i had a travelmoney card and it allows you to switch funds between virtual wallets. You can get actual money out at a cashpoint from your virtual wallet. Any cash left over got donated before we left switzerland at the pass.

A selection of Camino Jewellery

Richard Smith

Aug 15, 2016
Sydney, Australia
Frances 2016
Kumano Kodo 2014
Being technically challenged I have a question about Apple Pay or any card on your phone. When you use your phone to pay must it be connected to WiFi or some phone service to use? When I’m walking I keep my data off and connect to WiFi only at end of the day. How does it work?
Apple Pay works the same as Pay Wave where you wave your (chip enabled) credit card over the device at the cash register. The iphone doesn't need a data connection and it is a bit more secure than just waving a credit card since the iphone reads your finger print/login code before it talks to the device.

Most read last week in this forum

Hello! My husband and I are considering walking for about 3 weeks on either the Via Francigena or the Via Francesco in Italy. Im having trouble finding information that compares the two options...
I saw this link on FB today and it is useful to give us some idea of the serious nature of snow around the GSB pass. This is saying that the snow has been very heavy this year, but that the pass...
Next Spring my wife and I are planning to walk the Via Francigena from Lucca to Rome. We plan to arrange our own accommodation. Can anyone advise if there are companies who do luggage transfers...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.