Exhibit: Warriors and Martyrs: Christianity and Islam in the Birth of Portuguese Nationhood

jungleboy

Spirit of the Camino (Nick)
Feb 4, 2018
Rome, Italy
spiritofthecamino.com
Time of past OR future Camino
Some in the past; more in the future!
Currently the Museu Nacional de Arte Antiga in Lisbon has a temporary exhibit called 'Warriors and Martyrs: Christianity and Islam in the Birth of Portuguese Nationhood'.

This is the premise of the exhibit:

In 2020, eight hundred years will have passed since the martyrdom of a group of Italian Franciscan priests who, on January 16th 1220, were slain in North Africa. The Museu Nacional de Arte Antiga has thus decided to include in its agenda for this year an exhibition that will highlight this historic event about a group of men who became known as the Martyrs of Morocco.

The most significant art pieces (jewelry, luxury and common ceramics, military pieces, monetary treasures, paintings, illuminated manuscripts, sculpture, textiles, ivories and firearms) were chosen to provide a framework and exposure to this historical period, and the role it played in the broader experience which was the birth of Portuguese nationhood.

I went to see the exhibit yesterday and was very impressed with the pieces on display. Here are some of my favourites:

Reliquary Chest of the Martyrs of Morocco, Portugal, late 13th / early 14th century

IMG_2848.jpg

Well Mouth, al-Andalus, 12th century

IMG_2847.jpg

Column Capital, al-Andalus, 12th century (note the Arabic inscription)

IMG_2849.jpg

Fragment of Arcade, Silves (Portugal), 11th century

IMG_2850.jpg

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Mar 27, 2011
N.Y., USA
Time of past OR future Camino
Currently the Museu Nacional de Arte Antiga in Lisbon has a temporary exhibit called 'Warriors and Martyrs: Christianity and Islam in the Birth of Portuguese Nationhood'.

This is the premise of the exhibit:

I went to see the exhibit yesterday and was very impressed with the pieces on display. Here are some of my favourites:

Reliquary Chest of the Martyrs of Morocco, Portugal, late 13th / early 14th century

View attachment 98562

Well Mouth, al-Andalus, 12th century

View attachment 98563

Column Capital, al-Andalus, 12th century (note the Arabic inscription)

View attachment 98564

Fragment of Arcade, Silves (Portugal), 11th century

View attachment 98565
thank you for posting the photos, the detail captured is appreciated!

Reactions: jungleboy

Most read last week in this forum

Good afternoon, all: My apologies if this question is answered in another post. I am walking the Camino Frances in three weeks from Sarria to Santiago de Compostela and would appreciate any...
There are many 'What a lovely wonderful day that was' on the Camino but there are also days that are more difficult, 'Thank Goodness that's over'. History shows us that such was always the...
I've used Duolingo and Babbel, and have started listening to language transfer. But so far, I'm liking Wlingua the best. It presents clear differences between Spanish/Espana and Spanish/Latin...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.