Extra security at the cathedral in Santiago at noon today. Does anyone know what was going on?

gertrong415

Jun 14, 2019
michigan, united states
Time of past OR future Camino
Hoping for summer (2020)
We arrived in Santiago on Wednesday and took a last stroll past the cathedral today before we have to fly out. The plaza was way more packed than we have seen and there was a huge police presence. This was during the noon pilgrim mass and appeared likely there was someone of importance inside, with a motorcade waiting outside. Does anyone know what was going on?

Reactions: MisterH
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Mar 18, 2012
European Union
To Santiago + back
2400 km + 950 nmi
160 days
The plaza was way more packed than we have seen and there was a huge police presence. This was during the noon pilgrim mass and appeared likely there was someone of importance inside, with a motorcade waiting outside.
Last day of official visit in Spain; Iván Duque, President of Colombia; he and Alberto Núñez Feijóo who is the president of the Galician government, attended the mass at noon.

Helena Litherland

Jan 5, 2018
Frances (2016) Frances (2018)
Police are gone now but there is a huge line up to get into the cathedral.
Last day of official visit in Spain; Iván Duque, President of Colombia; he and Alberto Núñez Feijóo who is the president of the Galician government, attended the mass at noon.

A selection of Camino Jewellery

Most read last week in this forum

Hello, my shoes are pretty down and worn out now with holes in it. As it is rainy these days I won’t make it to Fisterra with dry feet. Can you recommend a good shop for shoes in Santiago...
Hi to all, I'm on the invierno right now and I will be in santiago tomorrow. I realise today I didn't get two stamps per day in the last 100 km. My question is how in the pilgrim office they are...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.