• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Ferry boat La Corunia to Ferrol?

Xlnwxn

I am going to fly into La Coruna and take city tour in a half day. I wander if I can take ferry boat to Ferrol in April and get start my camino next day? Any one can help to make sure, Thank you! Leon

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Agreed, no ferry. We did not find any ferry service last September when we planned our walk and also flew into A Coruna. The busses are frequent. There is also rail service, but the busses go more often and may be cheaper. Once in Ferrol, you can walk from the bus station to the harbor for the official start of the Camino Ingles or hotels. In a November 2011 post, Sojourner47 noted that "The main square in Ferrol is about 20mins walk from the bus station (for Tourist Office/sello/map etc), and the harbour steps are another 20mins walk from there."

Buen Camino
CMSmith

A shame they don't cause it looks a beautiful journey, reckon if you asked in the harbour that morn (or previous eve, leave mobile) if anyone way going you might strike lucky & if not, catch the bus :)

1/2 to 1hr by boat - beautiful

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Even if there was a ferry service, judging by the waves that I've encountered on the several visits I've made to the Coruna peninsula, there wouldn't be many days it could operate and the days it could would probably fall on Saint days!

Seriously, if a ferry journey would make the perfect start to your Camino it looks like there is a ferry from Mugardos just across the bay to Ferrol. Mugardos can be reached by two buses (Coruna - Pontedueme, Pontedueme - Mugardos) although the 2nd stage bus only appears to run once a day. Interestingly, Mugardos also accepts Pesetas according to this article. Maybe they foresore the EuroZone crisis :wink:

Mig

Thank you above all! It's better to stay one night in Ferrol!? I will take a half day to see Hercules Tower in A Coruna.

I had a day spare after completing both legs of the Camino Ingles in 2009 ,so I returned to La Coruna to see the Tower of Hercules.

I have never been more disappointed in my life as the outside is clearly not the original. Roman? Bah.

I didn't bother going inside because I had nowhere to leave my rucksack.

Don't let my experience stop you but if you do go let us know how you felt about it.

I have met several people who also felt the same as myself.

ps, if doing this again, I would go to Ferrol and spend the rest of the day there. I found it much more interesting, but as I had decided to arrive mid morning and then walk straight out I only caught brief glimpses of the town.

Can I confirm Sojourner's observation that it takes 40 minutes to walk from the Ferrol bus station to the harbour. In June 2009 there was not a taxi to be seen anywhere. You will need to also allow time for photos, stamping of the sello etc. If you arrive from A Coruna all of this would add up to a late start out of the town. It is 11km to the Neda albergue, 25km to hotel accomodation in Pontedeume and 38km to the Miño albergue.

Depending on your pace and where you intend to spend the first night will obviously influence your final decision.

If you arrive at Ferrol late in the afternoon you can collect your sello, sightsee, have a night in a hostal, then return to the harbour and make an early start, fresh and rested.

Would be interested to have others point of view.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Hola

It depends what you are looking for. A Coruna is a port and seaside resort with a 9kms promenade, and a beautiful beach. It also has many seafood restaurants selling, for moderate prices, the catch of the day. The beautiful church of Santiago is well worth visiting as is the marina.

Ferrol is a working port with still lots to see and do but imho less scenic than Coruna. The starting point of the route at the harbour is 2 kms from the bus station.

If you choose to sleep in Ferrol and start the next day - the previous evening you could get your sello/credencial and walk from the harbour the 1km or so to the point where the route turns at the Town Hall (in the guide) and pick up there or at some other point the next morning.

Buen Camino

John

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Most read last week in this forum

Hi, finally plans for Camino Ingles become real, some accomodations, booked already, checking flights, etc..., starting 02june :) We are taking it slow, 8 days on the road, below are our stages...
We lost a set of black Leki trekking poles today between Ferrol and Neda just past the Monastario de San Martino. We sat down for a rest near the top of the hill amidst the houses. The poles were...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back