• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

First day

biloute

Time of past OR future Camino
Chemin du Puy & Camino Francés (summer 2014), Chemin du Puy & Camino Francés (possible summer 2019)
For those of you who have done the Chemin before, how much of a stretch would it be to go all the way to Saint Privat d'Allier the first day rather than stopping at Montbonnet?

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I went to St. Privat on the first day because Montbonnet was closed. It was a difficult day. The next time I stopped in Montbonnet, and was quite happy to have done so. If you are fit, St. Privat is OK. If not, take the shorter day.

As always Falcon has provided good advice. May I add...

1) Will you go to the 7AM Pilgrim Mass at the Cathedral (I'd recommend it even though I'm not religious)? If you do your start time will be after 8AM.
2) If your travel to Le Puy will involve a long trip by plane, a shorter walk on the first day might be advisable.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
For those of you who have done the Chemin before, how much of a stretch would it be to go all the way to Saint Privat d'Allier the first day rather than stopping at Montbonnet?

Hi. My wife and I went to the 7am Mass and then walked to Saint Privat d'Allier with no problem. The next day, if you are heading to Saugues, is more difficult and getting to Saint Privat turned out to be a good idea. All depends on your level of fitness and how much time you have but either way you'll enjoy it. Bon Chemin
Dayton and Karen

Pilgrims mass then Montbonnet.
Then Monistrol d'Allier.
I say this because the climb out of Monistrol should be undertaken in the morning when fresh.
It should be treated with caution in pouring rain ......... if fine the views are beautiful.
We had a long flight to Paris then Lyon then train so these two short stages suited us beautifully.

Hi. My wife and I went to the 7am Mass and then walked to Saint Privat d'Allier with no problem. The next day, if you are heading to Saugues, is more difficult and getting to Saint Privat turned out to be a good idea. All depends on your level of fitness and how much time you have but either way you'll enjoy it. Bon Chemin
Dayton and Karen
Hello,
Like you I found the first days walk to Saint Privat to be fairly comfortable. If you have time go to the Cathedral the day before to attend mass, then you can set off early and take your time the next day..........I make it under 24 km or 14 miles. Try the Accueil Benevole des Pelerins, first on the right as you enter the village. I leave you with a photo out of the front archway of the Cathedral on the start of your Camino plus a photo of accommodation.

dscf0149.jpg dscf0121.jpg

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
We were glad we stopped on Montbonnet. I agree with Thornley about Monistrol.

In addition to what everyone else has said, the weather may be a consideration. If it's cold and rainy it can be really slippery which can slow you down (or speed you up I guess depending upon how strong the rain/wind/snow is). Also - my experience with the first few days of a camino is that they're harder than it is after the first week. Having said that, although I stopped at MOnbonnet, it's certainly possible even for someone who's older than dirt (like me) to make it to St. Privat the first day. If you have a time shortage maybe it's a good idea. Otherwise why rush.

And, as others have said, looking ahead, the climb out of Monistrol may be quite a challenge at the end of a day. And it's beautiful - you want to see it!!
Don't forget to always have snacks with you in France. The stores are always closed on Sundays and sometimes Mondays - or Thursdays - or maybe Tuesdays..........

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Thank you everyone for the advice. I guess I'll just see how it goes. The only thing I might worry about is if I decide to go on to Saint Privat, I would want to stay at the municipal campground and I have no idea how big it is or if I'd need to make some sort of reservation. Has anyone here stayed there before?

Last edited by a moderator:
In addition to what everyone else has said, the weather may be a consideration. If it's cold and rainy it can be really slippery which can slow you down (or speed you up I guess depending upon how strong the rain/wind/snow is). Also - my experience with the first few days of a camino is that they're harder than it is after the first week. Having said that, although I stopped at MOnbonnet, it's certainly possible even for someone who's older than dirt (like me) to make it to St. Privat the first day. If you have a time shortage maybe it's a good idea. Otherwise why rush.

And, as others have said, looking ahead, the climb out of Monistrol may be quite a challenge at the end of a day. And it's beautiful - you want to see it!!
Don't forget to always have snacks with you in France. The stores are always closed on Sundays and sometimes Mondays - or Thursdays - or maybe Tuesdays..........

Living in France since 2007 I can confirm though that any bar can offer you a "sandwich jambon beurre" and locals will be more than happy to offer you something to eat if you need.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

Most read last week in this forum

Hello - I am planning to walk about the first half of the Via Podiensis next month, May 2024. I will start from Le Puy and walk for 16 days. I am flying into Paris and would like to purchase a sim...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back