• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

First from North America

ksam

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Via Francigena...2024
Good Morning William!

Guess I'm the first from Nord Amerika! I can see the possible benefits of our own "section" but also must plead for the forum as a whole! While there are practical reasons for wanting to have discussions amongst "ourselves" (insert a certain SNL voice here!) there are such joys in sharing with the global community. If it hadn't been for this wonderful Camino Forum, I'd never have know who that wonderful pilgrim group we met in Porrino was. Rose Louise from down under and gang simply would have been just another pilgrim group along the way. As it turned out, we'd met and chatted on line well before we accidentally bumped into each other at dinner that evening. SO I guess what I want to say to any others who follow on here...make very sure you peruse the rest of the forum, don't just limit your chats to this section. It's a big world out there, and a lovely one at that.

Previous experience, Camino Portuguese. Next go will be either the Camino del Norte or the Frances. At the moment I'm thinking and generally planning for a year from now. That means fall of 2011. By then, I should have the funding, as well as have figured out how to take the time. And the grandbaby, if all goes well, will be old enough that I'll be able to tear myself away!

As you can see from my " sign in" I'm from the american equivalent of a village, Roebling, NJ. Or for broader perspective...outside Philadelphia, PA.

So...to any and all, Buen Camino and happy planning, perhaps we too will meet on the road to Santiago.
Karin

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi, Karin

We will be walking to SDC from Porto in September. I would love to hear your comments on the route, especially lodging (non-albergue types... we're both terrible snorers). Info from others would also be welcome. BTW, after our walk, we'll drive to France to visit our daughter, Karen!

June and Chris

I guess the idea is that if there are meetings or meet ups in this area, this would be the place to post info about it. Only for issues that would be of interest to people in this area...

Talk about general camino issues should still be done as before... I may have to re-word the description of this new sub-forums.

Saludos,
Ivar

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
chrisinvermont said:
We will be walking to SDC from Porto in September. I would love to hear your comments on the route, especially lodging (non-albergue types... we're both terrible snorers). Info from others would also be welcome.

Welcome Chris & June!!
We/I LOVED the route and actually think for a first try...very good choice! I'm assuming we're in a similar age bracket...assuming the daughter in France is grown?!! Somewhere...I'll have to remember, the actual "address" I did a blog on route.

Where are you flying into? Lisbon or Porto? We did Lisbon and then took train, so we got to see more of the country side. We didn't actually begin in Porto, due to time constraints. We then took the smaller local train to Valenca and then walked across the border to Tui. We then stayed at Alburgues and refugios...but I know someone from Australia who DID stay in hotels along the way...as well as a bunch of lovely Brits who also did the same. Check for postings from Rose Louise. She and her hubby John did the supported/hotel thing.

Keep checking all the different areas on the forum, there really is a wealth of information and support here. This forum is the first place I would recommend to anyone I know of who's even beginning to contemplate doing any of the routes!

Wishing you both Buen Camino, and looking forward to hearing about your plans,
Karin

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.