• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

First Timer Info

Hello All,
I must say I'm completely in love with the forum! There is so much information and experience that I've spent hours just reading ideas and threads.

I plan to make my journey in late Aug 2014 leaving from my current home in Japan. I hope to start by spending a few days in Paris and commuting from there to Bayonne~ Bayonne to SJDP. Then ending my trip by making my way down to Porto in Portugal and heading home to Arizona after over two years living abroad in Japan! If you have tips or ideas about this commute PLEASE let me know. Id be grateful.

I've read a great deal about gear and what to bring (thanks again!). I will be newly married at this time and we hope to camp the Camino as much as possible stopping in Albergue possibly once a week to shower and wash things if needed.

If you have any advice please feel free to post. Thanks again!

(ALSO) Im a vegetarian. Any tips about that would help as well

Last edited:
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hola haveslothwilltravel,
Welcome to the forum.
Sorry can't help much with camping and vegetarian issues, but the Paris-Bayonne-SJPP is a nice way to start your Camino.
Buen Camino
Colin

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
First, welcome to the forum. Everything you need to know can be found here, either directly in the postings or through links people provide. I found that there is a load of knowledge here. Much of it goes far beyond the Camino proper.

Second, at the risk of sounding conceited, which I am not, use the search function to search for all my postings - search the user name. I only say this because I have made it a habit to offer input, counsel and advice on many of the major topics on the forum.

Third, and most important, I am not THE expert, but I am a detail-oriented, and at times an obsessive person. But, I do my research and provide ample web links to items or products I mention in my posts. Consider my information together with the input of others who have been doing Caminos and participating in this forum FAR longer than me.

We all look forward to seeing you on a future Camino. I plan to re-do the Camino Frances from St. Jean starting at the end of April 2014.

I hope this helps.

Welcome and do take advantage of the search function as there are many posts about camping along the Camino, travel to and from the Camino (separate forum) and tips for vegetarians (it is not common but there is no problem finding fresh produce and beans).

Happy planning, you are already on your way!

Hello and welcome! As a vegetarian am I am happy to tell you that there are many great options now on the Camino for those who require an animal-free diet. Here is one place to start: http://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/vegetarian-albergues-restaurants-on-the-camino-frances.16487/#post-141701.

My favorite stop is Albergue Verde in Hospital de Orbigo, 31 kms after Leon. One tip: learn the Spanish language basics for describing what being a vegetarian means to you. In Spain the locals often think being a vegetarian means you don't eat the meat of a cow, which is called 'carne.' If you don't eat chicken, fish, pork, or even eggs and cheese, you will need to be able to communicate this.

Do you have any specific questions the forum members can answer?

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Wow,

Hello all and THANKS!
t2andreo I will be sure to check out some of your personal posts while planning and again keep searching the forum as questions arise in my mind. Detailed information is helpful and at times gives us ideas we hadnt considered.

nreyn12 thanks so much for the tip to learn the Spanish and that being vegetarian there means about the same as it does in Japan. You say no meat and they bring you ham. Its weird.

One of my biggest concerns is storage of things. I will be leaving Japan where Ive lived for the past two years and this will be my trip before I return home. Are there places in Paris or near that I can store my other luggage at whilst I hike?

Also- what are some needs you didnt expect on the camino and things you thought youd need but didnt?

Thanks again for the warm welcome.

Hello and welcome! As a vegetarian am I am happy to tell you that there are many great options now on the Camino for those who require an animal-free diet. Here is one place to start: http://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/vegetarian-albergues-restaurants-on-the-camino-frances.16487/#post-141701.

My favorite stop is Albergue Verde in Hospital de Orbigo, 31 kms after Leon. One tip: learn the Spanish language basics for describing what being a vegetarian means to you. In Spain the locals often think being a vegetarian means you don't eat the meat of a cow, which is called 'carne.' If you don't eat chicken, fish, pork, or even eggs and cheese, you will need to be able to communicate this.

Do you have any specific questions the forum members can answer?

Thanks for the wonderful link!

Wow,

Hello all and THANKS!
t2andreo I will be sure to check out some of your personal posts while planning and again keep searching the forum as questions arise in my mind. Detailed information is helpful and at times gives us ideas we hadnt considered.

nreyn12 thanks so much for the tip to learn the Spanish and that being vegetarian there means about the same as it does in Japan. You say no meat and they bring you ham. Its weird.

One of my biggest concerns is storage of things. I will be leaving Japan where Ive lived for the past two years and this will be my trip before I return home. Are there places in Paris or near that I can store my other luggage at whilst I hike?

Also- what are some needs you didnt expect on the camino and things you thought youd need but didnt?

Thanks again for the warm welcome.

This is a somewhat unusual issue. Most people doing a Camino are concerned with how to send one suitcase ahead to be waiting for them in Santiago and services exist to do that. How many and what kind of things will you be dragging with you and which need storing? Suitcases or duffel bags? What sizes? Here are some general suggestions fo ryou to consider:

1. If you are flying in and out from Paris CDG, I recommend your search the airport web site for a "left luggage service" or "luggage storage." Here is the CDG airport page with a drill down on "luggage service" http://www.aeroportsdeparis.fr/ADP/en-GB/Passagers/shops-services/practical-service/luggage-service/ I did not see the storage capability, but please noodle around yourself.

2. If there is nothing located at the airport proper, the next best thing is to arrange something in the town or Roissy - where the Charles de Gaulle (CDG) is located. You might find a self-store location that can rent a small compartment for a few months. You will need to take a taxi to and from the airport, but it should not cost too much.

3. Consider the cost of storage for several months versus paying to ship your luggage home ahead of you. UPS and FedEx offer this service. One assumes they, or another parcel service has offices at CDG. Yes it will cost a few hundred dollars, but your bags would be waiting at home for you.

In this regard, I just looked at FedEx. Go here: http://www.fedex.com/locate/index.html?cc=us#start They have two office within a couple of miles from CDG. You would take a taxi to get there. Print the address and directions - in French and give to the taxi driver at the Arrivals level.

Here is the FedEx page in France, but in English: http://www.fedex.com/fr_english/

I played around with rate finder on their web site for shipping from CDG to Phoenix Sky Harbor Airport and came up with a rough estimate of about $1,800 USD (total) to ship 4 suitcases, each weighing about 50 pounds (23 kg). You could pro-rate that if you had more or fewer checked bags. But it ain't cheap.

Based on this exercise, I suggest you want to go a cheaper route. The cheapest way is to check your bags to Paris and find someone to hold them for you - do you know anyone who lives in or near Paris? Or, figure something out working together with Ivar and whoever he suggests you contact.

4. If there are any members of the forum who live near the CDG airport, perhaps they might offer to hold your stuff for you. However, I would approach this with some skepticism unless the forum members are known to others who can vett them. I trust nearly all the forum members implicitly, even those I have never met. That is the bond of the Camino, as you will discover. But one should be cautious.

Finally, you could send a private message to Ivar Rekve - the fellow in Santiago who runs the forum to ask him if he has any ideas. Just go to his profile and click on Start a Conversation and at the bottom lock it down so only you two are communicating. That makes it a Private Conversation or a PM.

All this said, and thinking out of the box, Japan is closer to Arizona than France, I think. Can you check into a LCL "Less than Container Load" freight shipment, where your secured and shrink-wrapped luggage would go home on a ship via Los Angeles? It would cost less than FedEx and you do have time. Going one step further, instead of using luggage, use triple-walled overseas freight boxes and just freight them home via sea-borne conveyance. Wrap all your stuff in plastic trash bags to ensure they stay dry and uninfested enroute. I lived in Europe for a few years and this is how my personal belongings went over and how they came back to me.

Okay, it may take a month or six weeks, depending on sailing times but your luggage would arrive at your home about the same time you do. Depending on where you are living in Japan, there must be hundreds of international logistics companies and freight forwarders who can handle this very small job (for them) for you. MANY of them cater to gaijin (foreigners) like you. Just ask around. If all else fails, call the U.S. Embassy and ask to speak to the General Services Officer (GSO) or someone in his/her office who is knowledgeable about shipping household goods. This is the person who manages all logistical stuff for the embassy and embassy personnel moving to and from the U.S. and Japan. See if you can find out who THEY use. Go from there.

Remember, you likely have more time than money - if I assume correctly. Put your thinking caps on. Sometimes the fastest route is not the most direct route.

Among other things to make ends meet, Ivar operates a baggage service where he holds stuff sent through the Spanish post office for at least 60 days. You might be able to cobble something together that would help with his assistance. BTW - I saw shrink-wrapped hard-sided suitcases in his office that the Spanish post office accepted for postage...go figure. However, I understand that is determined by the postal clerk at the sending point. So it is a bit iffy - check with Ivar. He is the expert.

Final point, no one cares what you look like or how you are dressed whilst on Camino. In all the towns and cities along the way, we can pick each other out by our zip off cargo trousers, Macabi shirts (women), wild beards, and bad hair days.

If you do the research here and pack the correct synthetic material items. perhaps shipping a small amount of "conventional" or tourist clothing to Ivar at Santiago from Paris or the post office at St. Jean Pied de Port, you can get through this adventure easily. Then just ship everything directly home to Arizona the way you are sending all your other personal stuff.

You CAN live out of a rucksack and one carry-on. Remember, put the thinking cap on and read these postings carefully. Ask questions. That is what we are here for. The only dumb question is the one you do not ask.

I hope this helps.

Last edited:
Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Hello All,
I must say I'm completely in love with the forum! Welcome! There is so much information and experience that I've spent hours just reading ideas and threads.
It's fantastic is it not!

I plan to make my journey in late Aug 2014 leaving from my current home in Japan. I hope to start by spending a few days in Paris and commuting from there to Bayonne~ Bayonne to SJDP. Then ending my trip by making my way down to Porto in Portugal and heading home to Arizona after over two years living abroad in Japan! Wow! Sounds fantastic. If you have tips or ideas about this commute PLEASE let me know. Id be grateful. I'm guessing you'll find most of the tips and ideas on this forum already, quickly followed by the advice you'll get in response to this post.

I've read a great deal about gear and what to bring (thanks again!). I will be newly married at this time and we hope to camp the Camino as much as possible stopping in Albergue possibly once a week to shower and wash things if needed. Sounds like fun and very romantic memory creation.

If you have any advice please feel free to post. Thanks again!

(ALSO) Im a vegetarian. Any tips about that would help as well maybe you could stop eating that little monkey like critter in your photograph?;)

This is a somewhat unusual issue. Most people doing a Camino are concerned with how to send one suitcase ahead to be waiting for them in Santiago and services exist to do that. How many and what kind of things will you be dragging with you and which need storing? Suitcases or duffel bags? What sizes? Here are some general suggestions for you to consider:

I hope this helps.

And again Im so grateful for the support.

We really don't have a great deal to send or take home. I am a bit minimalist but I like to keep some things from my travels. Not much room for much here anyway, my apt is about the size of a tuna can (literally its only about 300 square feet total) and I love it. Small spaces remind us that there is an outside world!
Mostly I'm concerned about my Fiances bike. He does triathlons and his bike is my biggest concern. He worries about damages in shipping and I'm trying to figure out something that makes him comfortable. I have looked into a few shipping companies and a holding company called *bluemarble* in Paris that I saw on the forum. Granted Im aware that cost will be a concern, I'm prepared for it. I will asked a few of my friends who have sent things back to Phoenix how they managed and balance from there.

I was unaware of "less than container" loads! Ill have to check out the few things you mentioned. THANKS AGAIN. Ill be sure to try and get a hold of Ivar as well soon and see if he has any ideas. I have so many ideas swirling around, I need to pin one down :)

As for the looks side. I have no idea what a Macabi shirt is but I'm going to Google it.

I was wondering. Have you camped the Camino? I'm looking for opinions on sleeping bags/ tents. Ill keep checking the forum as well.

Thanks again! You're amazing! I already feel the camino love.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
And again Im so grateful for the support.

We really don't have a great deal to send or take home. I am a bit minimalist but I like to keep some things from my travels. Not much room for much here anyway, my apt is about the size of a tuna can (literally its only about 300 square feet total) and I love it. Small spaces remind us that there is an outside world!
Mostly I'm concerned about my Fiances bike. He does triathlons and his bike is my biggest concern. He worries about damages in shipping and I'm trying to figure out something that makes him comfortable. I have looked into a few shipping companies and a holding company called *bluemarble* in Paris that I saw on the forum. Granted Im aware that cost will be a concern, I'm prepared for it. I will asked a few of my friends who have sent things back to Phoenix how they managed and balance from there.

I was unaware of "less than container" loads! Ill have to check out the few things you mentioned. THANKS AGAIN. Ill be sure to try and get a hold of Ivar as well soon and see if he has any ideas. I have so many ideas swirling around, I need to pin one down :)

As for the looks side. I have no idea what a Macabi shirt is but I'm going to Google it.

I was wondering. Have you camped the Camino? I'm looking for opinions on sleeping bags/ tents. Ill keep checking the forum as well.

Thanks again! You're amazing! I already feel the camino love.

I have not personally camped the Camino but have seen and spoken with many others that do. Staying in alburgues is very inexpensive anywhere from "donativo" free/ contribution to about Euro 10 per night per person). They provide toilets, showers, heat (in most cases) and a place to do laundry. Most also serve a dinner meal or a breakfast (usually coffee and bread with jam). Although some serve NO FOOD.

In my view, and I think in the view of most pilgrims, at least on the Camino Frances from St. Jean Pied de Port to Santiago, camping is more of a bother than it is worth. It does not save all that much money when you consider the cost of the gear you must purchase if you do not yet have it. You WILL need a tent with all the poles, stakes, etc., and sleeping bags.

Whereas in an albergue, you do not need a tent. All you need for sleeping most of the year is a silk or Cool Max sleeping bag liner. Most alburgues can provide extra blankets. Also consider that there are not many designated camping areas along the Camino, and there are rules about where you can pitch camp.

On the other hand, if it is adult privacy you desire, you can spring for a "hostal" or one-start every few days. In Spain, the word "hostal" means small, simple hotel and the word "hostel" means an alburgue.

I personally prefer staying in hostals because it provides a private, lockable room with en-suite bathroom and heat that I can control. The cost starts at about Euro 25 per night and depending on where you are can easily go to Euro 50 per night or more. Free Wi-Fi and breakfast (the simple sort) are usually included.

The middle solution is to favor staying in PRIVATE alburgues when possible. These are smaller than municipal or association / church run alburgues and usually cost a little more than a public alburgue but less than Euro 20 per night per person. Many of these private alburgues have private rooms that can be booked in advance by telephoning ahead. A few can be found on www.booking.com. My recommendation is to have someone who speaks Spanish fluently call ahead for you a day or two at a time. You can find many recommendations here on the forum.

For what it is worth, when I return to re-do the Camino Frances at the end of April 2014, I plan to emphasize private alburgues, with some public alburgues and hostals mixed in liberally. I am doing my research so when I stay in a pubic or private alburgue it is regarded as one of the "best."

By way of explaining, I am at a stage in life where I can choose to be picky about where I rest my head at night. It was no different during medieval times. Even then, pilgrims of some standing would stay at inns along the way instead of bedding down with the animals in a barn or on the cold stone floor of a church or abbey.

As regards planning to leave Japan to head west to Europe:
1. MAKE A LIST of what needs to be done
2. PRIORITIZE that list according to critical dates, categories etc.
3. WORK the list in priority order...

It really is not difficult.

Also, a Macabi skirt is a popular woman's hiking skirt that is available on the web and may be available in outdoor shops in Japan. It is "dressy" enough for city wear, casual enough for hiking, has pockets, and can be worn in various ways according to your style inspiration and the weather. It is also easily washable and is very durable. Most women who have used them swear by them. I understand they are also more convenient for "pit stops" in the bushes...";)

If you have to buy one on the web, consider getting it from Australia or New Zealand, as it may be closer to you.

I hope this helps.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Not all Americans are ill-bred, uneducated, bayou-dwelling trolls. ;) I am one of the thousand or so Americans who have through a combination of very hard work and sacrifice actually obtained multiple university degrees, traveled the world (for 35 years), read a lot, learned a lot, and tried to give back. You are most welcome...one gaijin to another...:)

Please do not hesitate to ask if you have further questions, no matter how seemingly off-topic.

陽気Chirstmasのハッピーニューイヤー!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Most read last week in this forum

Hello everyone, I’m about to embark on my first Camino this month in a week or so. I had plans to go with a friend but it fell through so now I’m visiting a friend in France until I work up the...
We all know there are a lot of bikers on the shared Camino path. I was knocked over in the town of Villatuerta and had to return immediately to the US for treatment after destroying my Camino on...
Hello all fellow pilgrims! To celebrate my 70th birthday I'll be following the Frances path from St Jean Pied de Port to Santiago de Compostela. Really excited abut the journey for me starting...
Good evening all! We began our yearly route to Santiago, today! We 4 Peregrinos resumed our Camino at Rabanal del Camino and walked to Acebo. We encountered Snow, Hail Stones and rain. We loved...
Hi Camino Family, I am travelling from Australia to start the Le Puy Camino May 27th 2024. If there is anyone else planning on walking around this time, it would be great to connect. I speak...
June 22 -@Amachant (SJPP)

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.