• Remove ads on the forum by becoming a donating member. More here.
  • 20% off everything Altus the next few days at the Camino Forum Store. More here. (Discount taken at check out)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

First Timer Planning CF on the 12th May 18

Morygan44

Time of past OR future Camino
Plan to do the Camino Frances in full starting September 2019
Hi All,
My name is Richard from Falkirk in Scotland,
I am planning my first Camino starting from SJPDP on the 12th May 18. I already have my Pilgrim Passport and can't wait to get away from my job for a bit and get started :) Unfortunately I can only get 2 weeks off work for it, so I'm hoping to maybe get from St Jean to Burgos and fly home from there, and come back for more later.
I've done long distance walks before like the West Highland Way and long weekends hiking in the Cairngorm's, so I'm not too worried about fitness.
I was just wondering if any of you good people who've done the CF before can offer me any advice while I prepare for it.
Can anyone give me any advice?

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hi Richard,

Good news is that if you're used to trekking in the wilds of Scotland you should certainly be able to cope with what the camino has to throw at you. I started a couple of weeks before you three years back and conditions couldn't have been more perfect, hopefully you'll have the same luck. I definitely took too much and too heavy kit on my first trip, my boots that were perfect for hill walking in Wales were way too bulky for the pathways which make up most of the CF, I was down to walking sandals for my last trip though most seem to favour trail runners. There are a million packing articles and videos to be found here and elsewhere online.

Your distance goals seem entirely reasonable, not sure if the two weeks include getting from and back to Scotland but Burgos is eminently reachable in 11-12 days and even if you arrive earlier Burgos is a lovely place to spend a day or two.

But I guess my main advice would be not to micromanage things too much, with a few euros in your pocket there really aren't too many obstacles that can't be overcome.

Enjoy,

Rob.

Thank you Rob,

I really appreciate your comments, especially about not trying to overly plan and micro manage everything. I've watched that many you tube videos now that I'm starting to feel like I've already been there.

I think I'm going to have to swap my boots for trail runners, since I've not seen or heard anyone on the CF recommend boots at all.

Ya, the 11 - 12 days is kinda what I'm aiming for, with outward and return travel making up the other 2 days of a fortnight. I'm glad someone who's been on the Camino before like yourself could back that idea up for me Rob. It seems quite simple to get to Madrid from Burgos and get a plane home when my time runs out.

Fingers crossed I might get an extra week off work yet and maybe try for Leon if it's possible but I don't want to be rushing things on the trail too much.

Thanks again Rob

Richard

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi, I will leave SJPDP at May 12th, and I am planning to work to Santiago in 20 days. 25 miles per day. Let´s have a beer on SJPDP! Cheers.

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings fellow travelers, I am hoping to do my first international trip at 57 and solo to walk the Camino Primitivo in mid-July. I want to book the trip through either Santiago Ways or Camino...
Hello, my name is Wendy and I walked the Camino Primitivo in September 2022 and I’m planning to walk the full Camino Portugues from Lisbon to Santiago beginning September 7, 2024, in honor of my...
I'll be volunteering in Santiago July 01- July 15 this year with the Camino Companions who offer services for the English speaking pilgrims, announcements at mass, English Mass at the Pilgrim's...
Hello! I and my friend Cecilia will walk Camino Ingles with start 4th of October. We are so excited to our first but not last Camino. Buen Camino to all of you.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.