• Remove ads on the forum by becoming a donating member. More here.
  • 20% off everything Altus the next few days at the Camino Forum Store. More here. (Discount taken at check out)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

From Appalachian Trail to El Camino de Santiago

Bill Walker

In 2005, I hiked the 2,180 mile Appalachian Trail, despite never having spent the night outside beforehand. I lost 33 pounds (I am 7 feet tall, 2.10 meters).
In 2009, I hiked the 2,663 mile Pacific Crest Trail. I lost 43 pounds this time. Trying to choose between these two fabulous national scenic trails would be like trying to choose between two children. Impossible. Fortunately, it's not necessary either.
In 2010 I walked El camino de Santiago. While it certainly wasn't as grueling of a struggle as the two previous trails, it was nonetheless more demanding than expected. Alot of the older pilgrims earned my respect, because of the tremendous efforts they made to make it all the way to Santiago. This medieval road is only going to become even more popular. It represents a new way to travel.

Skywalker--Close Encounters on the Appalachian Trail, Indigo Publishing, 2008
--Highs and lows on the Pacific Crest Trail, Create Space, 2010

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I cannot resist asking how a tall person survives in many of the very short spaces -- beds, doorways, showers, etc. -- along the Camino. I was amazed initially how short many are in Spain. A Spaniard blamed it on Franco and poor nutrition under him. I was not convinced, though. Anyway, how did you cope?

Bill Walker said:
In 2005, I hiked the 2,180 mile Appalachian Trail, despite never having spent the night outside beforehand. I lost 33 pounds (I am 7 feet tall, 2.10 meters).
In 2009, I hiked the 2,663 mile Pacific Crest Trail. I lost 43 pounds this time. Trying to choose between these two fabulous national scenic trails would be like trying to choose between two children. Impossible. Fortunately, it's not necessary either.
In 2010 I walked El camino de Santiago. While it certainly wasn't as grueling of a struggle as the two previous trails, it was nonetheless more demanding than expected. Alot of the older pilgrims earned my respect, because of the tremendous efforts they made to make it all the way to Santiago. This medieval road is only going to become even more popular. It represents a new way to travel.

Skywalker--Close Encounters on the Appalachian Trail, Indigo Publishing, 2008
--Highs and lows on the Pacific Crest Trail, Create Space, 2010

Hi B
Thanks for your words on these trails, which not everyone on this side of the Atlantic is aware of. Which camino did you walk? There are many, as you know.

I wonder in what way do you find that the camino which you did "represents a new way to travel" ? The comparison would be interesting.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi Bill,
I live in New Mexico and have walked the camino frances twice. Last year I was camping here when suddenly two women appeared hiking the Continental Trail from Mexico to Canada. They had already done the AT and PCT!!! I was amazed. We sat and shared dinner and beer (I was car camping and had plenty to share) and we swapped stories of blisters and gear. Me telling them all about the camino and they telling me of all the trails. It was a lovely evening. We still keep in touch and I am glad that you thought the camino was challenging as I want them to try it!
John

Some people who have done the AT are disappointed at how 'urban' much of the Camino is but
whereas the AT (and other similar trails) were plannedto to avoid villages and towns, the Camino trail was devised in such a way for pilgrims to reach the safety of a town or monastery at the end of each day's march.

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings fellow travelers, I am hoping to do my first international trip at 57 and solo to walk the Camino Primitivo in mid-July. I want to book the trip through either Santiago Ways or Camino...
Hello, my name is Wendy and I walked the Camino Primitivo in September 2022 and I’m planning to walk the full Camino Portugues from Lisbon to Santiago beginning September 7, 2024, in honor of my...
I'll be volunteering in Santiago July 01- July 15 this year with the Camino Companions who offer services for the English speaking pilgrims, announcements at mass, English Mass at the Pilgrim's...
Hello! I and my friend Cecilia will walk Camino Ingles with start 4th of October. We are so excited to our first but not last Camino. Buen Camino to all of you.
Hi my name is Bryce (Australian) and I’m doing the Camino Frances starting September 15. My wife is 57 years old and was born without her left thigh bone. She can wear a prosthetic leg for very...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back