• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Gear I used and liked for the Camino Frances

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
One of the best posts ever! I'm intendiong to pass from a 40L backpack to a 20L one, so this has been a great help!

Best Regards
Diogo

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Congratulations in fitting everything into the Osprey Talon 22L, that's quite an accomplishment! I have the same pack but only for weekend hikes. I consider myself a minimalist but think that I'll stick with my Osprey Atmos 35L. Don't want to forsake the gods after 4 Caminos with the Atmos.

I see that you stayed at l'Esprit du Chemin. My ribbon has been attached to my backpack since 2010.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Just one question @brickthomas ... Do you think that, if you have done the Camiño in the current season, or earlier (for example, April/May), you would need a bigger backpack because of rain/cold gear?

Best Regards
Diogo

Congratulations in fitting everything into the Osprey Talon 22L, that's quite an accomplishment! I have the same pack but only for weekend hikes. I consider myself a minimalist but think that I'll stick with my Osprey Atmos 35L. Don't want to forsake the gods after 4 Caminos with the Atmos.

I see that you stayed at l'Esprit du Chemin. My ribbon has been attached to my backpack since 2010.
If it works for you why change? l'Esprit du Chemin was a great place to get into the mindset of the Camino.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Just one question @brickthomas ... Do you think that, if you have done the Camiño in the current season, or earlier (for example, April/May), you would need a bigger backpack because of rain/cold gear?

Best Regards
Diogo
You need more gear if walking in Winter, Spring, late Autum that's a given- but the advantages of those seasons more than compensate IMHO....

Last edited:
You need more gear if walking in Winter, Spring, late Autum that's a give but the advantages or those seasons more than compensate IMHO....

I've done the Portuguese this year, and my question was regarding a think that I have noticed: even in winter, I've seen people taking 20 to 25L backpacks. So that's why I was asking if brickthomas would take more things, or if he would just change some things and stick with the 22L backpack :)

Best Regards
Diogo

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Best Regards
Diogo
When I hiked in the snow and rain in the mountains of Maine, New Hampshire, etc. I used a 46 liter pack and that included carrying a weeks worth of food.

I've done the Portuguese this year, and my question was regarding a think that I have noticed: even in winter, I've seen people taking 20 to 25L backpacks. So that's why I was asking if brickthomas would take more things, or if he would just change some things and stick with the 22L backpack :)

Best Regards
Diogo
Maybe a better answer to your question is on the Camino if I was expecting a lot of rain the only thing I would change is I would have packed my rain pants. If I was expecting freezing temperatures I would have a pair of long underwear. If I am sleeping inside I don't need another set of warm clothes like when I am tenting. By the way the 46L pack I referenced earlier also included a tent, sleeping bag and pad none of which I would carry if I was staying in alburgues. I hope the info helps.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Maybe a better answer to your question is on the Camino if I was expecting a lot of rain the only thing I would change is I would have packed my rain pants. If I was expecting freezing temperatures I would have a pair of long underwear. If I am sleeping inside I don't need another set of warm clothes like when I am tenting. By the way the 46L pack I referenced earlier also included a tent, sleeping bag and pad none of which I would carry if I was staying in alburgues. I hope the info helps.

They sure did, thank you very much again :)

Best Regards
Diogo

Thanks brickthomas, your comments about packing for rain, freezing temps etc confirmed the need for some of the items listed on our packing list that I've been questioning. We couldn't fit our gear in the first packs (30, 33L) and still leaving room for a little food & water plus a few items we've yet to purchase. Our new packs will be a little bigger (40, 50L) and that's right in line with your recommendation. We won't be carrying a pad or tent, just a light sleeping bag so we hope to fit everything in compactly and still be able to carry-on so as not to risk getting separated from our pack.

Thanks brickthomas, your comments about packing for rain, freezing temps etc confirmed the need for some of the items listed on our packing list that I've been questioning. We couldn't fit our gear in the first packs (30, 33L) and still leaving room for a little food & water plus a few items we've yet to purchase. Our new packs will be a little bigger (40, 50L) and that's right in line with your recommendation. We won't be carrying a pad or tent, just a light sleeping bag so we hope to fit everything in compactly and still be able to carry-on so as not to risk getting separated from our pack.
By the way I found Pamplona was a good place to pick up gear you didn't pack but needed after all or to mail ahead things you decide you could do without. I almost bought a pair of hiking poles in Pamplona at a resale shop for only a few Euros. Of course the truth is after a couple of weeks of hiking you get use to what ever size pack you are carrying. The right attitude is your most important piece of equipment and that's what makes the walking fun. Have a great adventure and a fun walk.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
My wife and I walked with Tom and Sue several days and I was always envious of their small backpacks. Mine was a 38L Osprey, and it was stuffed. Every time I thought about eliminating something, I ended up saying to myself, "No, I might need that." Next time I'll call Tom before I leave and let him talk me out of all those "might need that" things.

Jim

I have been in "deep thought" about packing since reading @brickthomas' post. I thought I was a pretty savvy peregrina, and really wise about minimalist packing. We carry about 8 kg each. That's for about 60 days. Although we thought we had distributed stuff that we could share, it seems we haven't done such a great job. After all these caminos, I find it so exciting to examine some parameters that I thought were pretty set. Now everything is up for grabs. Sometimes it just takes a trigger such as this post to get you to refocus what you're doing. In our case, this already is making its insidious way through the camino trunk at the bottom of our closet. We won't open it till after Christmas. Too scary. But after Christmas? Kaboom!!!! Throwing out all our plans. Opening up our minds! Starting at square one!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
My wife and I walked with Tom and Sue several days and I was always envious of their small backpacks. Mine was a 38L Osprey, and it was stuffed. Every time I thought about eliminating something, I ended up saying to myself, "No, I might need that." Next time I'll call Tom before I leave and let him talk me out of all those "might need that" things.

Jim
Hi Jim!

I have been in "deep thought" about packing since reading @brickthomas' post. I thought I was a pretty savvy peregrina, and really wise about minimalist packing. We carry about 8 kg each. That's for about 60 days. Although we thought we had distributed stuff that we could share, it seems we haven't done such a great job. After all these caminos, I find it so exciting to examine some parameters that I thought were pretty set. Now everything is up for grabs. Sometimes it just takes a trigger such as this post to get you to refocus what you're doing. In our case, this already is making its insidious way through the camino trunk at the bottom of our closet. We won't open it till after Christmas. Too scary. But after Christmas? Kaboom!!!! Throwing out all our plans. Opening up our minds! Starting at square one!
Wow! Thanks. I am sure I could learn a lot from you and all your experience too. Buen Camino!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings Fellow Pilgrims! I have more than a month to go until I leave on my first Camino, but couldn't resist getting my pack together already this weekend. My full backpack (Deuter 30 L) is...
Hello beautiful community; I’m starting my camino in exactly 7 days (May 8 - June 21 = 45 days) I’ll be doing FRANCES + SALVADOR + PRIMITIVO . Here’s my final packing list (excluding basic...
Hello, I'll be starting the Camino soon and my best option is to buy shoes in either Pamplona or SJPP. I will be leaving Pamplona on a Sunday at noon and arriving at SJPP around 2pm. My question...
I am new on the forum, though I have followed it for years in anticipation of walking. Twice planned, twice cancelled. Once again, I have bought tickets and my daughter and I hope to walk del...
Hi, I start my Camino from Oviedo on Sunday the 23rd of June. I was hoping to buy some hiking poles from the Decathlon store, but it doesn’t seem to open on a Sunday, nor do the other hiking...
Has anyone used the phone service "Holafly" during their Camino? Apparently it is a phone plan which eliminates the high cost of roaming charges and international phone plans offered from many...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.