• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

getting a private room for two if cycling

Gigipete

Time of past OR future Camino
May 2024
Hi all,

We are a bit concerned about being able to get accomodation as we are cycling the CDN this May/June. I read that pilgrims on foot get priority up to 8pm. We are aiming to arrive each day around 3-4pm and do not want our accomodation left to chance. This is a concern. However we really would prefer a bedroom rather than a bunk in a dorm. Do most albergues have private rooms for couples and do we need to book these in advance and by how long 2-3 days,a week, a month?.
Thanks in advance for your advise/help.

ps we start May 14th

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I'd aim for private accommodations. Municipal and parochial alburges rarely have private rooms for couples. It's just not part of the whole system. If there is a "private" room they're often saved for a pilgrim who is ill or is staying an extra night because of blisters or other issues. With the bikes, you do have the ability to move on a bit further, hence the prioritization of foot pilgrims. Another plus of private is they often have a more secure space for keeping your bikes and then you aren't using precious resources for charging your huge batteries, when pilgrims on foot are in need of phone and possibly watch charging. Let's fact it...most of these place were designed long before smart phones became so ubiquitous. I remember the first time someone was on a iPhone in the dorm and being so annoyed at the light coming from it!

If I sound like a cranky foot pilgrim...I'm not. Rode an e-bike with a dear friend on the Frances and the Via de la Plata in '22 so I totally feel for you. One thing to invest in...an air horn!! JK!! I did however manage to break my bell from constant ringing. Foot pilgrims and vacationers in the shore communities were not always paying attention. They often don't move out of the way..so beware!!

Buen Camino... you've got me wandering down memory lane this morning :cool:

--------
Hmmm....Sorry...just reread your post...and not entirely sure you are using Ebikes!! Unfortunately..the foot preference thing still applies at municipal and parochials.

Also double check that your bikes can be accommodated. Gronze.com usually indicates if there is bike storage available at a location, or if you call for a reservation, be sure to ask. As a hospitalera depending on the location, we didn't always have a good place for bikes.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Restrictions on bike pilgrims vary by accommodation, so you’d need to check every place you hope to stay. 8pm would be on the extreme end where one exists. Private albergues and hotels usually do not have a time restriction plus they are more likely to have private rooms for a couple and bike storage. You’ll also be competing with holiday makers on the coast, so booking ahead is advisable.

We are using our own manual, blood, sweat and tears bikes, so no charging required. Taking them all the way from home in Lymington, Hampshire.

Thanks for the advice. We are currently doing a run through, using Gronze, of places we are likely to stay at each checkpoint, so will factor in what you've said.

We are a bit concerned about being able to get accomodation as we are cycling the CDN this May/June. I read that pilgrims on foot get priority up to 8pm.

These types of rules usually apply to municipal and parochial albergues with dorms, not the type of accommodations that you want.

You should work out your stages and use Gronze.com to identify places to stay and book them ahead.

Godesalco is a good site for stage planning.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
These types of rules usually apply to municipal and parochial albergues with dorms, not the type of accommodations that you want.

You should work out your stages and use Gronze.com to identify places to stay and book them ahead.

Godesalco is a good site for stage planning.

Thanks trecile. We were thinking we'd have to use cheap private accom mostly but hoping to use the odd albergue where they had facilities for us, plus book ahead.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Many accommodations with private rooms don't particularly care if you're a pilgrim or not. They permit bookings.

Usually a private room for 2 will cost substantially more than two bunks especially if it has a private bathroom.
Actually prices and conditions vary a lot and your decision will be made on price difference and availability. It's great to get a bargain on a private room.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi there! I have walked el Camino Frances twice as well as el Camino Portugues and el primitivo. I wanted to walk el Camino Del Norte this summer, but have a foot injury that is flaring up and...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back