• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Getting along in French on the Camino ?

JP

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances 2014 & 2017
Camino Portuguese 2016
Camino Del Norte 2019.
I am thinking of doing the Camino in May 2014. I speak a bit of Tourist Spanish learned while vacationning in Cuba and Mexico, but I was wondering if I can get along speaking French or should I really ramp up my Spanish studies ?

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I am thinking of doing the Camino in May 2014. I speak a bit of Tourist Spanish learned while vacationning in Cuba and Mexico, but I was wondering if I can get along speaking French or should I really ramp up my Spanish studies ?

Jean,

Of course it would be wonderful to be fluent in Spanish, but most pilgrims get along with basic tourist Spanish and their native tongue. After all on the Camino you don't enter a bar to buy a used car so the absolute need for a wide vocabulary is minimal. When all else fails there is always pantomime! For a current Forum account of how some pilgrims deal with menu translations see >> http://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/menu-translations.19368/.

Bon chemin and Buen camino,

Margaret Meredith

Brushing up on your Spanish will make your Camino certainly more enjoyable as you can speak with the people that live along the way, understand the Pilgrim's menu better ect. But the lingua franca amongst pilgrims is most of the time - English ;-) So yes, you can get along with only English and French, but any additional language you speak will make things more fun. SY

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Your tourist Spanish would be sufficient but there's no harm in brushing up if you would like to do that. However, don't put yourself under any pressure, you can get by without Spanish. My only knowledge of the language was being able to say hello, please and thank you. I very quickly learnt to read a menu and became adept at mime.

Speaking French will be useful to you as a means of conversing with a wider number of pilgrims than you would have with just English alone.

I used the Memrise app to learn some useful Camino Spanish before my walk this year and it was helpful.
I used the word for blister early on!
Buen Camino
Annie

French will certainly be helpful in the first week or so, as it appears to be the second language in Navarre and the Basque country. Along the way it will be more useful than English, and I found that Castilianophones (!) could usually make sense of my French more than they could my English-- I used French with pharmacists and museum staff in Leon and Galicia and found it a good means of communicating. Even so, some Spanish will be much more helpful than none.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Thanks every one, pretty much answers my question. French and Spanish have similar words and grammar, so that is a big help to me. I can pretty much get around a menu and simple questions. In final analysis, I better start studying if I want to interact with the locals !

A few important Spanish word. Ha! Ha!

- Dos cervezas, por favor.
- Café con leche, por favor.
- el bano, por savor ?
- Cuánto es ?

Last edited:
- Dos cervezas, por Favor.
- el bano, por Favor ? or better - ?Donde esta el cuarto de baño, por favor?

But you are right, French has a lot of similarities to Spanish! Just replace the French words you know with the Spanish words you will learn and you will be understood easily. The word order is very similar. Just remember that the French place the adjective before the noun, whilst the Spaniards put it after it.

French - BONNE cuisine
Spanish - comida BUENA

SY

Thanks that S in Favor was a typo, I corrected it. Sorry, my keyboard can't do spanish punctuation. I am finding out that they are differences in Mexican/Cuban/Dominican Republic spoken Spanish, just like American and British English. I now undesrand why one of the Mexican kids working at the Hotel we were vacationing at last December on the Mayan Riviera was making fun of the Spaniards staying at our Hotel. He was saying in jest naturally that Mexicans spoke a truer form of Spanish.

Last edited:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
While I'm pretty sure I could get by on the Spanish that I already have, I see learning Spanish as part of my camino. I'm walking in March (which just seems SO FAR AWAY), and I started learning Spanish in May. It's nice to be able to focus my excitement and nervous energy on something useful and challenging that also enriches my life in general. My hope is to be functionally fluent before getting there - and (ojala!) truly fluent by the end of my walk. We'll see!

I would highly recommend Coffee Break Spanish for basic survival skills. But if you want to go deeper than that, I'd recommend finding Skype language partners!

Oh, and I'm fluent in French. Knowing French is a HUGE help when learning Spanish. I don't think I'd be progressing the way that I am if it weren't for my French!

I looked up the "Coffee Break Spanish" site and it looks like an easy going way to get some usefull vocabulary, Thanks for the tip !

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Speaking Spanish certainly makes things easier in the marketplace but it's amazing how much can be communicated without words. Some of my fondest memories are of spending time with pilgrims whose English vocabulary was as scant as my Spanish.
Buen Camino.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

Most read last week in this forum

I've just read this article from La Voz de Galicia. A Camino guide and frequent pilgrim with over 30 years of Camino experience calling for some greater regulation of numbers - at least on the...
One death attributed to a heart attack last week. Two pelegrinos gored, one seriously. One broken leg and many ending in Pamplona due to knee and leg and ankle injuries. Is it possible to confirm...
Hello. I am considering walking the Camino for the first time this fall, probably beginning the third week of September in St. Jean. But I keep reading about how crowded the Camino is, including...
Is there a list of albergues that also have private rooms on the Camino Frances? Gracias.
Hello, two weeks ago, I finished the Camino Francés, and while all the recent memories have not properly settled yet, I think enough time has passed to write a bit about my experience of the...
Can anyone give me (newbie!) some guidance on planning my stages after Roncesvalles? I currently have lodging booked Zubiri, Pamplona and then Puente la Reine, and on from there. I would prefer...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back