getting from Madrid to SJPdP

Barbara Applegate

Mar 18, 2011
I'm arriving in Madrid on April 26.
I will take the train from Madrid to Pamplona. Where do I find the bus station in Pamplona? Can I walk there from the train station?
Once I get on the bus to Roncesvalles, where do I find the minibus taxis to SJPdP?
And, can I do all this in one day (arriving before dark so I can find lodging in SJPdP)?
Thanks for any helpful information that comes my way!
Barbara

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Arn

Veteran Member
Dec 3, 2007
Virginia, USA
Barbara,

You've asked a lot of questions but the last one is the most worrisome.

May I suggest that you consider taking a cab from the Pamplona Train station to the albergue in Pamplona (they know them all). This will give you a breather and an opportunity to sort yourself out, get an early start to SJPDP (takes about 2 hrs), check-in at the Pilgrims office, get a room for the evening and up you go the next morning on your Camino.

I'm sure others will answer the remainder of your questions.

Buen Camino

Arn

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

kansas098@aol.com

Sep 12, 2010
I am arriving in Madrid at 7:35am on the 19th of May. Planning on taking a train to Pamplona arriving at 14h00. From there I was planning on taking Express Bourricot to Saint Jean but that price is 84 euro. Seems high to me.
Can anyone suggest any other options? Thanks for any help.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
we too have had traveling difficulties, but we didn't even make it to madrid. our flight out of washington dc was delayed, and then a flight attendant accidentally opened an emergency exit because one of the safety pins was missing, and the slide deployed. this delayed us even further, and half the plane ended up getting kicked off because of legal safety reasons (the exit was considered unusable in the event of an emergency) to be put on flights arriving 1-3 days later. and so my question:

our flight gets in to madrid at 2pm on friday. we still desperately want to start our camino at st. jean pied de port, but starting at pamplona is beginning to sound like the reasonable option (we also want to continue on to finisterre, and we were pressed for time as it was). BUT would it be possible for us to catch the 3:05pm train from madrid to pamplona (we have no checked baggage) and somehow get to sjpdp in time to walk the next day? we're on a very low budget and have already used up some of our allocated travel funds with ticket and hostel cancellations, and unfortunately the fastest transportation is often the most expensive.

i just want to walk across spain for a month, why won't they let us?!

Most read last week in this forum

Hi All - I am a debit card /cash only girl, its just how I live. I transfer X amount of money from a savings on to a debit card and then use my debit card. I've been looking into using the Wise...
Hi all! Have you used Pilgrim.es to plan your Camino? The reviews that I have found make me a bit nervous. Bit I can’t find any other company that will work with my group size. I don’t mind paying...
Hi All, My next leg is from Los Arcos. I'm hoping to go back in Sept and as i will be solo this time and no one to shared transfer costs with im trying to figure out best routes for bus and train...
I saw the list posted with all the transfer companies for different routes, super helpful! What I haven't seen yet is a good estimation tool/reference for budget consideration. Top Santiago has a...
Ryanair have announced that after November they will no longer be flying to/from Bordeaux. Unfortunate for those heading for SJPDP as it is a useful alternative to Biarritz...
Is there a discount card available for seniors' travel in Spain?

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides