• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Getting from Oviedo to Somport

fb1

Time of past OR future Camino
2017, 2019, 2020, 2023, 2024
I just finished the Camino de San Salvador in Oviedo today and am trying to figure out transport options from Oviedo to Somport to walk the Camino Aragones.

It looks like I would need to get to Zaragoza by bus or train from Oviedo and then take a bus or train to Jaca. Any advice on how to get to Somport from Jaca? Any advice would be appreciated.

Also, I haven’t seen any recent reports from the Aragones here. Anyone from the forums out there recently? Can I expect many pilgrims on this route these days? The weather looks cold and a bit wet these days particularly near Canfranc. Guessing it will warm up as I walk down to Jaca.

Thanks!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
There's about six buses a day from Jaca up to Somport. The weather will be what it will be. I walked it last month, four or five pilgrims in the albergues most nights along the way. Perhaps a few more now, but you won't need to worry about finding a bed.

From the Jaca bus station, there is a local mountain bus that goes several times per day up to Somport. You can take a bus to Pamplona and then bus to Jaca. Here's the bus schedule from Pamplona to Jaca from a few years ago. You can see the bus line name and check the times for certain in case they have changed.

By train, you have to get to Zaragoza or Huesca and then take the train north. This looks like about a 12 hours trip with several connections.

There have been a few pilgrims this spring. Check the the notes from @Flog , @Undermanager (who walked part of it a few weeks ago), @Juspassinthru . I think @trecile is walking it now so you could pm her?

Attachments

• 20220628_092215 (1).jpg
    20220628_092215 (1).jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 5
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I'll be on the Aragonés in a few days. I just completed my first day on the Camino walking from Oloron-Sainte-Marie to Sarrance on the Arles route. It didn't rain during my walk, but there's lots of mud and water on the trail.

I traveled to Oloron after spending two nights in Zaragoza. I took the train (actually train and a bus, booked booked through Renfe) to Canfranc Estación, which is in a beautiful setting which was fortunate for me because I had to wait three hours there for my next bus. The weather was very pleasant during those three hours.

I think if you have the luxury of time you should aim for somewhere before Somport so you will get the climb up. It might just be me but it feels weird starting at the top.

Oloron would be a good place as mentioned above by @trecile which is more or less at the start of the valley, otherwise Accous or Urdos if you wish for closer, both of which must be easy from Jaca via the tunnel.

Yeah, all my favorite Camino folks (on this thread! Aragon forever! 😂. Okay, while you do take the train from Zaragoza all the way to Canfranc Estacion, you can also take a train from Madrid to Zaragoza, if that is any easier for you.

I highly encourage you to walk from Oloron-Sainte-Marie as the journey up the valley to Somport is truly spectacular. (Buses available from Canfranc Estacion).

And as Flog has noted, no need for reservations: you can stay at some superb munis and donativos on that route and they will not be full. It’s the way the Camino used to be…

A selection of Camino Jewellery
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
You are undertaking many kilometres, @fb1 !

VDLP, San Salvador and now the Aragonés!!!

Buen Camino!
How far do you intend walking on this one?

Well, a change of plans. I decided to return to Granja de Moruela and walk the Camino Sanabres to Santiago. When I passed through Granja 10 days ago, I continued to Astorga as my heart was set on San Salvador. Aragones will certainly happen but another day. Plus, I like the suggestion of starting in Oloron. As I have some flexibility, I would rather enjoy the mountain stages with good weather to enjoy the views.

Well, a change of plans. I decided to return to Granja de Moruela and walk the Camino Sanabres to Santiago. When I passed through Granja 10 days ago, I continued to Astorga as my heart was set on San Salvador. Aragones will certainly happen but another day. Plus, I like the suggestion of starting in Oloron. As I have some flexibility, I would rather enjoy the mountain stages with good weather to enjoy the views.

Thanks to Camino Chrissy the Sanabrés has just risen to the top of my list!
(when I am able to walk again.)

Enjoy!

Ultreia!!

I just finished the Camino de San Salvador in Oviedo today and am trying to figure out transport options from Oviedo to Somport to walk the Camino Aragones.

It looks like I would need to get to Zaragoza by bus or train from Oviedo and then take a bus or train to Jaca. Any advice on how to get to Somport from Jaca? Any advice would be appreciated.

Also, I haven’t seen any recent reports from the Aragones here. Anyone from the forums out there recently? Can I expect many pilgrims on this route these days? The weather looks cold and a bit wet these days particularly near Canfranc. Guessing it will warm up as I walk down to Jaca.

Thanks!
It seems I took a train direct to Confrac station from Pamplona

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
It seems I took a train direct to Confrac station from Pamplona
That’s very unlikely as that train route (the first electric line in Spain!) was disbanded decades ago (1955). If you walk the alternative route through the Lumbier Gorge, you are actually utilizing the old rail bed.

If you want to travel by rail from Pamplona to Canfranc nowadays, you’ll need to do it via Zaragoza, a very long detour when the bus is far faster, cheaper, and simpler.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi, i’m planning to walk the Aragonés route, and have recently found out about the detour to the Lumbier Gorge. It certainly seems like the kind of hike i love to do. Can anyone tell me if the...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back