Getting Pilgrims passport at Roncesvalles?

cjm

Dec 24, 2011
Hi - I'm starting from Roncesvalles and arriving from Pamplona (by bus) about 6pm on Saturday 10 March. I'm hoping to start walking on Sunday 11th. Does anyone know if I will be able to get a Pilgrims Passport on Saturday early evening? I believe I can get this from the Abbey but will it still be open?????

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

mralisn

Mar 21, 2010
California
Time of past OR future Camino
SJPdP-SdC (2005), Camino Norte-Fisterra (2010), SJPdP-Muxia-Fisterra (2012), Camino Norte w/Primitivo-Muxia-Fisterra (2014), Camino Portuguese (2016)
Sometimes you can get from your home country. There still might be time to receive one just in case. What country?

peregrina2000

Staff member
Mar 6, 2006
Champaign, Illinois, USA
Hi, cjm,

Don't worry, there is a little credential factory in Roncesvalles. When you arrive, just follow the crowd to the office under the stone arch with two long picnic tables, where everyone fills out their information on a card. The person at the head of the tables issues credenciales with the starting stamp, so that you can go into the albergue. You may run out of space during the walk, but you'll find that most albergues, at least those in bigger towns or cities, have extra credenciales.

Buen camino, Laurie

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

cjm

Dec 24, 2011
peregrina2000 said:
Hi, cjm,

Don't worry, there is a little credential factory in Roncesvalles. When you arrive, just follow the crowd to the office under the stone arch with two long picnic tables, where everyone fills out their information on a card. The person at the head of the tables issues credenciales with the starting stamp, so that you can go into the albergue. You may run out of space during the walk, but you'll find that most albergues, at least those in bigger towns or cities, have extra credenciales.

Buen camino, Laurie

Thanks Laurie
I'm assuming that they will be still issuing credenciales at around 6.30pm?
regards
CJM

peregrina2000

Staff member
Mar 6, 2006
Champaign, Illinois, USA
Hi, CJM,

Yes, you're right, the office is open when the bus from Roncesvalles arrives. You can't get your bed in the albergue without your credencial. The other thing there's a rush for is a seat for dinner. There are two restaurants in town, both offer pilgrim meals, and if you want to eat you should make sure to sign up for dinner in one of them as soon as you can. Alternative is tapas at the bar if you don't make it onto a dinner list.

Buen camino, Laurie

mralisn

Mar 21, 2010
California
Time of past OR future Camino
SJPdP-SdC (2005), Camino Norte-Fisterra (2010), SJPdP-Muxia-Fisterra (2012), Camino Norte w/Primitivo-Muxia-Fisterra (2014), Camino Portuguese (2016)
For anyone in the U.S. that would like to arrive with pilgrim passport in hand and enough time in planning:

americanpilgrims.com

Click on "Request a Credential".

I believe it was $5US or donation when I got mine in '10.

There is also a link to other associations from various countries around the world.

Keep a smile,
Simeon

Reactions: travelbird
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.

Most read last week in this forum

Snoring (another post ...) After 4 days of seriously noisy snorers in albergues, I was getting increasingly drained during the day. At one point, I was thinking whether I can continue, whether I...
I wasn't sure I was going to post "live from the Camino" for this Camino. I'm happy to do so on my solo Caminos, but when I am walking with family, my focus is a little elsewhere and I am mindful...
Hi All! I will arrive SDC on 5/17 and need a bed for 5/17 & 18. I can't find anything ,( well, the Parador for 800eu). Any & all help is greatly appreciated. I've checked gronze and all apps...
Hello; I started my camino on May 15th, today husband and I walked from Roncesvalles to Zubiri. I did the Camino in 2019 and the path from alto erro to Zubiri has eroded and is more hazardous...
@Monasp has just posted two tables of statistics from the SJPDP pilgrim office on their Facebook account. Numbers of different nationalities recorded so far this year: the USA being the largest...
I've been reading about the different routes etc and I have seen that the longest route is over a month, but also that some people just walk for a weekend or a few days or a week. I want to do a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides