• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

GR 65 route/trail changes in direction?

Michelle_McA

Paso corto, vista larga
Time of past OR future Camino
Hi everyone, I’m currently on the GR 65 going from Le Puy to Conques. I walked this camino in 2014 and now I find myself not recognizing a single bit of literally anything and I’m wondering if anyone knows if they change the trail from time to time and route Pilgrims in different directions or down different pathways because nothing seems familiar at all. Anyone know of route changes on this Camino?

Last edited:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi everyone, I’m currently on the GR 65 going from Le Luy to Conques. I walked this camino in 2014 and now I find myself not recognizing a single bit of literally anything and I’m wondering if anyone knows if they change the trail from time to time and route Pilgrims in different directions or down different pathways because nothing seems familiar at all. Anyone know of route changes on this Camino?
Hard to say. I did it in 2017 and as far as I have seen the villages on the tracks are the same as I noticed in my blog

Hi everyone, I’m currently on the GR 65 going from Le Luy to Conques. I walked this camino in 2014 and now I find myself not recognizing a single bit of literally anything and I’m wondering if anyone knows if they change the trail from time to time and route Pilgrims in different directions or down different pathways because nothing seems familiar at all. Anyone know of route changes on this Camino?
Yes, I can tell you for sure that they re-route it, in particular to take it off the road. When we walked it in 2019, I had the kml tracks from the Dutch Confraternity, and even though they were supposed to be only a year or two old, many changes had been made. Ditto with the tracks shown on Gronze and the maps in the Cicerone guidebook. Only accurate tracks and maps I found at the time were those from Miami Miami Dodo. The towns and villages were unchanged, however.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Yes, I can tell you for sure that they re-route it, in particular to take it off the road. When we walked it in 2019, I had the kml tracks from the Dutch Confraternity, and even though they were supposed to be only a year or two old, many changes had been made. Ditto with the tracks shown on Gronze and the maps in the Cicerone guidebook. Only accurate tracks and maps I found at the time were those from Miami Miami Dodo. The towns and villages were unchanged, however.

Thanks for the confirmation. I feel like the entire way this time around has been walking in these strange river ravines. I recall forests and farmland and now it’s all strange, narrow river ravine type walkways

Walking it at the moment. I left Le Puy on the 7 April. Arriving SJPDP on the 8 May. The Wise Pilgrim app is following it exactly as the route signage. In case that's helpful to anyone. 😀

Walking it at the moment. I left Le Puy on the 7 April. Arriving SJPDP on the 8 May. The Wise Pilgrim app is following it exactly as the route signage. In case that's helpful to anyone. 😀

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Yes, sections do get rerouted from year to year. Sometimes, the on-the-ground signage doesn't quite catch up (or the old ones dont disappear when the new ones get posted). Usually this reroute is because of some new gite that's just opened up, and has lobbied to have the pilgrims brought to their door. Or, since the local mairie is in charge of trail maintenance, the new major has got a bright idea and thinks they've improved things by the reroute. (Trying to suss out "why?" in France is about as fruitful as trying to suss out meal hours in Spain, imho. 🤣 )

Hi everyone, I’m currently on the GR 65 going from Le Puy to Conques. I walked this camino in 2014 and now I find myself not recognizing a single bit of literally anything and I’m wondering if anyone knows if they change the trail from time to time and route Pilgrims in different directions or down different pathways because nothing seems familiar at all. Anyone know of route changes on this Camino?
Do you have a GPS on your phone? Check where you are on Google Maps against the towns you are seeing in the GR 65 guide. I have a friend who took a wrong turn in the forest and ended up walking until midnight until he found a village. He slept on a park bench. He missed dinner and breakfast. It took him most of the next day to get back on the GR 65. The GR routes are not frequently marked as the Caminos in Spain and most of the time the markings don’t tell you which GR route you’re on. It makes getting lost much easier.

I have walked this section a good number of times since 2014 ... very few, if any, changes to the path / route in that time [between Le Puy-en-Velay and Conques] ... my photos confirm will that ...

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Yes, sections do get rerouted from year to year. Sometimes, the on-the-ground signage doesn't quite catch up (or the old ones dont disappear when the new ones get posted). Usually this reroute is because of some new gite that's just opened up, and has lobbied to have the pilgrims brought to their door. Or, since the local mairie is in charge of trail maintenance, the new major has got a bright idea and thinks they've improved things by the reroute. (Trying to suss out "why?" in France is about as fruitful as trying to suss out meal hours in Spain, imho. 🤣 )
Very unusual for this to happen [rerouting due to newly-opened gîte] ... the trails and the waymarking is maintained by the local volunteer members of the FFRP [hiking federation of France] and its various divisions ... involvement of the local mairie and the mayor is incidental unless that person happens to also be one of the local baliseurs [waymarkers] ... most if not all rerouting in recent years, where that has taken place, is to make the GR65 safer and / or because of erosion or degradation of the track ... such as the new way out of Montcuq in the Lot region OR the new path out of Espalion that follows the river and takes hikers off a busy section of road with little or no shoulder ... very occasionally it is because access to private land has been denied / withheld ...

Last edited:
My remarks are based on personal observations from the 2010-2011 period, which is when I walked the Le Puy. At that time, the re-routing phenomenon was a topic of considerable discussion among fellow (French) walkers, and I distinctly recall two specific sections where this occurred: coming out of Le Puy and again coming out of Cahors. There were others I don't now recall. These routing changes were one reason MMD gets updated every year. If the situation has stabilized since, that's great.

I’m going to get my Michelin guide from 2014 and compare it to my Michelin guide from 2024. Heading into Aubrac I am recognizing the same old routes but I will say from Le Puy to I think Aubrac is where I noticed the most changes so I will do a comparison and update this group when I get back to the states.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Very unusual for this to happen [rerouting due to newly-opened gîte] ... the trails and the waymarking is maintained by the local volunteer members of the FFRP [hiking federation of France] and its various divisions ... involvement of the local mairie and the mayor is incidental unless that person happens to also be one of the local baliseurs [waymarkers] ... most if not all rerouting in recent years, where that has taken place, is to make the GR65 safer and / or because of erosion or degradation of the track ... such as the new way out of Montcuq in the Lot region OR the new path out of Espalion that follows the river and takes hikers off a busy section of road with little or no shoulder ... very occasionally it is because access to private land has been denied / withheld ...
As of earlier this year the path out of Le Puy-en-Velay [at the very start of the Via Podiensis] will also start to change in an effort by the mairie to make the Way safer ... I understand that the first stage of this project is in the process of being implemented ...

Most read last week in this forum

I am very interested in walking from Le Puy to St. Jean in July. I've completed several other Caminos, so I am afraid I'm a little too casual with my prep for this one. I going to spend the next...
Hi, newish pilgrim here, 20, Irish, I completed the Ingles last year and absolutely loved it, and am now setting off on le Chemin du Puy + el Camino Frances on Wednesday. I need to receive a...
Hi, Can anybody recommend a Gite in Gramat? There seem to be a good number of places to stay, but I would like something near the GR if that's possible. A place oriented toward walkers would be...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back