• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

GR653A Via Aurelia

Isobelle

Time of past OR future Camino
September/October
Hello
Has anyone recently walked any of the GR653A Via Aurelia towards Santiago de Compostela. I am in the Var area near Le Muy but cannot find any local info. I did find part of the route on Roquebrune sur Argens. Has anyone walked from Le Muy to Arles
The route ( on GR website ) appears to be from Menton to Arles following some of the Via Aurelias. Any idea of condition, markings or if Gites are open for pilgrims?
Many thanx in advance

Last edited by a moderator:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I haven’t walked it but looked into it once. Here are some links and info that I found:

https://www.gr-infos.com/gr653_A.htm

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/history/via-aurelia-the-roman-empires-lost-highway-133706383/

http://www.compostelle-paca-corse.info/guides-chemins-paca-gr-653a-gr-653d-leurs-variantes

Stage suggestions

(I have these pasted into a Notes file; I’m not sure where they come from.)

01. Menton - N.D. Laghet (17 km)

- Menton - Roquebrune Cap Martin (2 km)

- Roquebrune Cap Martin - N.D. de Laghet (15 km)

02. N.D. Laghet - Tourette Levens (15 km)

- N.D. de Laghet - La Turbie (2 km)

- La Turbie - Tourrette-Levens (13 km)

03. Tourette Levens - Vence (21 km)

- Tourrette-Levens - Aspremont (4 km)

- Aspremont - Pont de la Manda (5 km)

- Pont de la Manda - Carros (1 km)

- Carros - Gattières (2 km)

- Gattières - Vence (9 km)

04. Vence - Mouans Sartoux (33 km)

- Vence - Tourrettes sur Loup (7 km)

- Tourrettes sur Loup - La Colle sur Loup (5 km)

- La Colle sur Loup - Roquefort les Pins (4 km)

- Roquefort les Pins - Valbonne (8 km)

- Valbonne - Mouans-Sartoux (9 km)

05. Mouans Sartoux - Théoule sur Mer (14 km)

- Mouans-Sartoux - La Roquette sur Siagne (3 km)

- La Roquette sur Siagne - Pegomas (1 km)

- Pegomas - Mandelieu La Napoule (8 km)

- Mandelieu La Napoule - Théoule sur Mer (2 km)

06. Théoule sur Mer - Saint Raphaël / Fréjus (14 km / 17 km)

- Théoule sur Mer - St Raphaël (14 km)

- St Raphaël - Fréjus (3 km)

07. Saint Raphaël / Fréjus - Le Muy (22 km / 19 km)

- Fréjus - Puget sur Argens (5 km)

- Puget sur Argens - Le Muy (14 km)

08. Le Muy - Le Thoronet (27 km)

- Le Muy - Lorgues (19 km)

- Lorgues - (Les Arcs hors GR) - Le Thoronet (village) (8 km)

09. Le Thoronet - Le Val (25 km)

- Le Thoronet (village) - Abbaye du Thoronet (5 km)

- Abbaye du Thoronet - Carcès (8 km)

- Carcès - Vins sur Caramy (6 km)

- Vins sur Caramy - Le Val (6 km)

10. Le Val - Saint Maximin (24 km)

- Le Val - Bras (13 km)

- Bras - (Brignoles hors ch.) - St Maximin la Ste Baume (11 km)

11. Saint Maximin - Puyloubier (23 km)

- St Maximin la Ste Baume - Ollières (5 km)

- Ollières -Pourrières (10 km)

- Pourrières - Puyloubier (8 km)

12. Puyloubier - Aix en Provence (24 km)

- Puyloubier - St Antonin sur Bayon (12 km)

- St Antonin sur Bayon - Aix-en-Provence (12 km)

13. Aix en Provence - Salon de Provence (36 km)

- Aix-en-Provence - Eguilles (12 km)

- Eguilles - (La Fare Les Oliviers hors GR, bretelle Farenque venant de Marseille) - Salon de Provence (24 km)

14. Salon de Provence - Mouriès (26 km)

- Salon de Provence - Eyguieres (10 km)

- Eyguieres - Aureille (6 km)

- Aureille - Mouriès (10 km)

15. Mouriès - Arles (26 km)

- Mouriès - Maussane les Alpilles (6 km)

- Maussane les Alpilles - Fontvieille (9 km)

- Fontvieille - Arles (11 km)

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hello I walked the route last year. I used this guide
Which you can print off. Its has maps of the route and directions (in French) I also had the GPS trace on my phone. There was some waymarking. There are details of pilgrim accomodation in the booklet. I hope this helps.

I haven’t walked it but looked into it once. Here are some links and info that I found:

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/history/via-aurelia-the-roman-empires-lost-highway-133706383/

http://www.compostelle-paca-corse.info/guides-chemins-paca-gr-653a-gr-653d-leurs-variantes

Stage suggestions

- Le Val - Bras (13 km)

- Eguilles - (La Fare Les Oliviers hors GR, bretelle Farenque venant de Marseille) - Salon de Provence (24 km)

@jungleboy, you continue to amaze me!!!!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I walked the Via della Costa+ GR 653A+ Camino Arles+ Camino Aragones starting from Sarzana in Italy at April 2023.

For GR653A, I obtained information from the site below.
https://www.compostelle-paca-corse.info/

The problem was that the distance between the accommodation and the accommodation in the document provided by the site above was different from the distance between the accommodation and the accommodation measured in the GPX file.

I walked the Via della Costa+ GR 653A+ Camino Arles+ Camino Aragones starting from Sarzana in Italy at April 2023.

For GR653A, I obtained information from the site below.
https://www.compostelle-paca-corse.info/

The problem was that the distance between the accommodation and the accommodation in the document provided by the site above was different from the distance between the accommodation and the accommodation measured in the GPX file.
Ok thats good to know- was it more or less longer or shorter? thank you - By the way where did you start?

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hello
Has anyone recently walked any of the GR653A Via Aurelia towards Santiago de Compostela. I am in the Var area near Le Muy but cannot find any local info. I did find part of the route on Roquebrune sur Argens.
Here you go :

https://en.mapy.cz/turisticka?l=0&x=6.4598888&y=43.4727151&z=13
Has anyone walked from Le Muy to Arles
The route ( on GR website ) appears to be from Menton to Arles following some of the Via Aurelias. Any idea of condition, markings or if Gites are open for pilgrims?
I'd say follow the GR where it's sensible, but deviate onto say biking routes where the GR unnecessarily avoids the villages.

At least that route is now shown on mapy.cz, when I went through in 2019, there was a degree of DIY. The GR markings and the Rome/Compostela markings are patchy in some areas too.

At least you're further West than the worst bits of that route !!

You really do need to get onto the Association website -- https://www.compostelle-paca-corse.info/organiser-pelerinage/hebergements -- though be advised that there are two versions of the lodgings list, and you'll only gain access to the confidential list after having demonstrated your trustworthiness on the Way ; sadly there were some abuses so that they do now need to be careful.

The only proper Albergue before Arles is in Puget-sur-Argens (an excellent one).

The Aix to Salon section is amazingly beautiful BTW !!

Stage suggestions

- Le Val - Bras (13 km)

helpful notes thank you

I want to thank @Isobelle for starting this thread and to @jungleboy for your post #3.

Sometimes it takes no more than a random moment or connection to plant a seed. I remember having dinner in a Spanish restaurant in Melbourne, when we struck up a conversation with the Spanish waiter about our love of walking in Spain. He was from Cadaques and he told us about a walking path near his home. Six months later we were walking the Cami de Ronda on the Costa Brava.

Two days ago my husband and I were on a train in south west France. As we passed Arles, we reminisced about our two visits to the town (once as pilgrims and later as tourists) and I said how much I'd like to go there again.

Then yesterday, out of curiosity, I clicked on this thread. I'd not heard of the Via Aurelia. And there in @jungleboy post #3 was mention of Roquebrune Cap Martin, a town on the riviera near the border of France and Italy. Almost four decades ago I lived there for a few months one summer working as an au pair*. No doubt I walked past indicators of a chemin / GR - but they would have meant nothing to me.

So, to me this seems to me to be a sign - we can walk between the two - so I will add the Via Aurelia to my list! Merci @Isobelle and @jungleboy

* Now that I spend a lot of time in France, I sometimes think back to that time as an au pair. When applying I confessed I only had a few words of French but it would be a great opportunity to learn. But, when I got there it turned out the French / English couple wanted me to speak English in their home so their two little girls would be bi-lingual. Shame, maybe it would have given me a head start on my current studies!

Last edited by a moderator:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Roquebrune Cap Martin, a town on the riviera near the border of France and Italy
I have eyes on Roquebrune right now from my window. It's sunny and warm !! 😎

I like the Carnolès quarter best, including because that's where the Pilgrim Office is, though Roquebrune-Village is a lot more beautiful. Having said that, the walking trail around Cap-Martin is splendid !!

The pilgrim Way to Rome has been through here for at least 1,800 years, and the Way to Santiago since the Camino has existed.
No doubt I walked past indicators of a chemin / GR - but they would have meant nothing to me.
No such waymarkers existed in the 1980s. Currently, there are indicators both ways -- and the occasional yellow arrows.

My 2005 to Compostela from here was basically DIY until I reached Arles, the 2000 to Rome entirely so, and even the 2019 indicators were very patchy indeed.

No doubt things are improved now !!

Last edited:
The biggest problem on the Way here is getting either through or around the Nice to Mandelieu section, which is either a massive detour through some mountain terrain or the historic route trudge through some quite ghastly city and suburbia (despite the occasional redeeming feature).

@Isobelle plans to start West and out of all that urban jungle, and at pretty much the exact point where more or less historic route and good hiking start to coincide. Also where the villages and towns start being less touristy and more rural French.

Actually, thinking about this -- there are a couple of Pilgrim Offices in Nice and in Carnolès. I don't know the Nice one, which should be more convenient for you, but the Carnolès one is open every first Wednesday afternoon of each month.

I would definitely suggest finding out when the Nice Pilgrim Office is open & where it is etc. -- the volunteers who do this are all excellent and lovely people, and they will be able to help you with things like an itinerary, a Credencial, lodging information, and all sorts of things, not excluding a friendly and warm welcome.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
When I walked through this part of France on my way from Rome I just stayed on the coastal road all round the riviera to Mandelieu, I think there was a pavement nearly all the way so safe enough. I just ignored the traffic and looked at the sea!

I want to thank @Isobelle for starting this thread and to @jungleboy for your post #3.

Sometimes it takes no more than a random moment or connection to plant a seed. I remember having dinner in a Spanish restaurant in Melbourne, when we struck up a conversation with the Spanish waiter about our love of walking in Spain. He was from Cadaques and he told us about a walking path near his home. Six months later we were walking the Cami de Ronda on the Costa Brava.

Two days ago my husband and I were on a train in south west France. As we passed Arles, we reminisced about our two visits to the town (once as pilgrims and later as tourists) and I said how much I'd like to go there again.

Then yesterday, out of curiosity, I clicked on this thread. I'd not heard of the Via Aurelia. And there in @jungleboy post #3 was mention of Roquebrune Cap Martin, a town on the riviera near the border of France and Italy. Almost four decades ago I lived there for a few months one summer working as an au pair*. No doubt I walked past indicators of a chemin / GR - but they would have meant nothing to me.

So, to me this seems to me to be a sign - we can walk between the two - so I will add the Via Aurelia to my list! Merci @Isobelle and @jungleboy

* Now that I spend a lot of time in France, I sometimes think back to that time as an au pair. When applying I confessed I only had a few words of French but it would be a great opportunity to learn. But, when I got there it turned out the French / English couple wanted me to speak English in their home so their two little girls would be bi-lingual. Shame, maybe it would have given me a head start on my current studies!
Great! I walked a portion of it yesterday - over Roquebrune sur Argens onto Muy just to check it out. It was well marked. I met a walker who was coming from Santaigo Compostela and heading for Rome- that was amazing. Im going to do a section of it end of April - thanx for all the info-hopefully it wont be too hot.

The biggest problem on the Way here is getting either through or around the Nice to Mandelieu section, which is either a massive detour through some mountain terrain or the historic route trudge through some quite ghastly city and suburbia (despite the occasional redeeming feature).

@Isobelle plans to start West and out of all that urban jungle, and at pretty much the exact point where more or less historic route and good hiking start to coincide. Also where the villages and towns start being less touristy and more rural French.
Thanx for this- I have been thinking about how to do this section but I think I am going to either take the detour or skip the urban part- thank you for your recommendations!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
the GR653A Via Aurelia towards Santiago de Compostela
Hi, I was also planning this several years ago . . . (Santiago to Rome). The attached might be useful if you don't already have it. Jill

Attachments

• guidedu83versst-jacques.pdf
    14.6 MB · Views: 10
Just in case it helps anyone . . .

Attachments

• ViaAurelia02.pdf
    12.3 MB · Views: 3
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Here you go :

https://en.mapy.cz/turisticka?l=0&x=6.4598888&y=43.4727151&z=13

I'd say follow the GR where it's sensible, but deviate onto say biking routes where the GR unnecessarily avoids the villages.

At least that route is now shown on mapy.cz, when I went through in 2019, there was a degree of DIY. The GR markings and the Rome/Compostela markings are patchy in some areas too.

At least you're further West than the worst bits of that route !!

You really do need to get onto the Association website -- https://www.compostelle-paca-corse.info/organiser-pelerinage/hebergements -- though be advised that there are two versions of the lodgings list, and you'll only gain access to the confidential list after having demonstrated your trustworthiness on the Way ; sadly there were some abuses so that they do now need to be careful.

The only proper Albergue before Arles is in Puget-sur-Argens (an excellent one).

The Aix to Salon section is amazingly beautiful BTW !!
Thank you for this. So will I need to join the Association to find an accommodation list? So far I cannot find any info on Gites or accommodation. Does the Association run the pilgrim office. Im admittedly running into the limts of my French and cannot locate any of their offices.

Thank you for this. So will I need to join the Association to find an accommodation list? So far I cannot find any info on Gites or accommodation. Does the Association run the pilgrim office. Im admittedly running into the limts of my French and cannot locate any of their offices.
Seems the Carnolès one has moved to Menton.

It may be easier for you to get to Saint-Raphaël :

SAINT RAPHAEL - 2ème lundi du mois de 17h00 à 19h00. Salle paroissiale Don Bosco, face à la basilique.

That will be this coming Monday 8th April 2024 from 5PM.

These people put me up on the floor there on the first stage of my last Camino, in 2019, and they are very nice people indeed.

There are contact lists anyway for the Var and the Alpes-Maritimes here :

https://www.compostelle-paca-corse.info/association/annuaire-contact#paragraph-126

If there's a language barrier on the day, the Nice Pilgrim Office is open the very next day, Tuesday, from 2:30PM at rue Saint-Joseph in Old Nice (second Tuesday every month except July and August).

Last edited:

SAINT RAPHAEL - 2ème lundi du mois de 17h00 à 19h00. Salle paroissiale Don Bosco, face à la basilique.

These people put me up on the floor there on the first stage of my last Camino, in 2019, and they are very nice people indeed.

https://www.compostelle-paca-corse.info/association/annuaire-contact#paragraph-126

If there's a language barrier on the day, the Nice Pilgrim Office is open the very next day, Tuesday, from 2:30PM at rue Saint-Joseph in Old Nice (second Tuesday every month except July and August).
Yes San Raphael is 40 mins away - thank you so much I will enquire-

Thank You @JabbaPapa ! They were super helpful. They were having a planning meeting but encouraged me to join and when the meeting was over I could ask my questions. They were super nice people and despite the language challenge for me, I managed. Plus they welcomed me in their post meeting champagne and snacks! Dedicated folks- was good to meet them. Thanx so much for the suggestion. I feel much more confident now.

Most read last week in this forum

In about a week’s time I’ll be starting my fifth Camino from Le Puy en Velay, however, I’m interested to know if anyone in this forum has started their Camino from Paris ….. to Saint Jean Pied de...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.