Growth of The Forum

• Thread starter Deleted member 3000
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 3000

Most users ever online was 865 on 28 May 2012, 07:48
Either there was a demand-for-service attack, or Memorial Day in the U.S. had a lot of people on their computers! Over 800 members joined in May 2012.

The number of members reached 10,000 on November 13, 2011. Since that date, another 3,500 have joined, about a 70% annual growth rate.

Is it a coincidence that "The Way" was released in November, 2011?

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
D

Deleted member 3000

The Forum had its first member on October 12, 2004. It reached 5,000 on September 18, 2009. Today there will be 13,500. Well done, Ivar. That is a lot of people meeting, a lot of posts, and a lot of information being shared, all because of YOU. :mrgreen:

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

anniethenurse

Veteran Member
Mar 8, 2009
Sweden
Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances.Vasco del Interior.Camino Finisterre& Muxia. Camino Portugues. Ruta del Ebro.
Yes, Ivar we all LOVE you!
The Forum has been very busy lately with so many new and old topics and encounters. So much information!
Thanks falcon to keeping up the Calender!
annie

Tincatinker

Veteran Member
Jan 9, 2012
West Sussex, England
It was this forum that helped me understand that the Camino was more than just another long distance hike. I've done plenty of them; arduous, spectacular, pretty, long, dull, hot or wet. It became clear as I browsed here that the Camino had another dimension. That that was what was drawing me, not just another landscape to hike through and document and park in the been there, done that part of memory.

And that too is down to Ivar, but also to the myriad contributors, debators, goads and down to earth good guys who have added their hopes, fears, knowledge and belief. And the occasional terrible joke :D

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Apr 4, 2007
Francese 2002, Cami San Jaume 2018, Norte 2023
I am continually referring people to the forum for its combination of practical information, difference of perspectives, and lively debate. It is one of the best-run fora I have ever seen and Ivar and the volunteers deserve our appreciation for a solid achievement in keeping it going and keeping it golden.

LTfit

Veteran Member
Mar 6, 2010
The Netherlands
It was this forum that helped me understand that the Camino was more than just another long distance hike. I've done plenty of them; arduous, spectacular, pretty, long, dull, hot or wet. It became clear as I browsed here that the Camino had another dimension. That that was what was drawing me, not just another landscape to hike through and document and park in the been there, done that part of memory.

And that too is down to Ivar, but also to the myriad contributors, debators, goads and down to earth good guys who have added their hopes, fears, knowledge and belief. And the occasional terrible joke
"The World is a book and those who do not travel read only a page." St Augustin

Couldn't agree more!

Thank you one and all.
From a grateful pelegrina,
LT

Thank you everyone for your kind words!!

What makes this forum great are all the people contributing. My job (and the moderators) is to create a good atmosphere, the rest can be attributed to all of you! Thanks!

The reason for the spike on may 28th was that both Bing (Microsoft search engine) and Yahoo decided to index our posts into their search engine all at once.

I did notice that we passed 13.000 members, but did not know that we had 800 new members in May. Wow... :D

Buen Camino!
Ivar

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Shellfox

Jan 1, 2012
Hi Ivar, I have been reading the forum religiously since I started planning my camino in December.. Now I'm here!.. On day 3, and loving every minute so far, but i can't thank you and everyone on this forum enough for all the practical information I received which helped me get ready for this amazing experience.. Buen camino!!.

RochelleArellano

Paloma Peregrina
May 16, 2012
New Mexico, USA
First time I walked Camino was (October 01, 2012); planning to walk again in September-October of 2016
This forum is invaluable to someone like myself who is traveling the Camino alone and for the first time. It encourages me and helps me prepare with confidence. I feel I can trust the advice of many pilgrims and look forward to taking my first steps onto the road in St. Jean!! :D

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

fraluchi

RIP 2019
Dec 24, 2007
Costa Rica
www.gumbolimbo.net
One every year since 2007
falcon269 said:
The number of members reached 10,000 on November 13, 2011. Since that date, another 3,500 have joined, about a 17% annual growth rate. Is it a coincidence that "The Way" was released in November, 2011?
The problem with the Forum members' file is, that it never gets cleaned.
As moderator of a different, 10 years old Forum with over 6.000 members I know that more than half have become "inactive". Trimming members takes quite some stamina, with the risk of removing the odd "read only" person. And as long as there is no storage space problem (yet?), why bother.

Melbrob

Nov 2, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
Camino Frances Apr 2013
A great forum and a credit to Ivar. As I live in the great south land it keeps me in touch with what it is like north of the equator (cold!) during my planning/training. The courtesy and helpfulness of the contributors is also an important factor in the forum 'feel'. One of the best forums that I use
Rob - Melbourne

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Most read last week in this forum

As I walked to Calzadilla de la Cueza today (long straight road), probably prompted by noisy torch-bearing pilgrims who got up at 4:20am (5 o’clock is bad enough, but seriously? We couldn’t leave...
I have noticed a few threads about cards and with drawing money. For me as a UK citizen with the top 3 overseas cards, Chase, Clarirty and Barclay card, the main issue is where to find low fee ATM...
I found this interesting, and thought others might too...
Hi Guys. I plan to walk the Camino (811km) next spring. I need suggestions from pilgrims who have walked and are still walking the Camino this April. How was the weather? Did you have too many...
I'm at the airport, suddenly being nostalgic. If you had to choose one sello as your most valuable, why would it be that one? Could be a religious or spiritual experience, the people you met...
Just after 9am this morning I turned the last corner of the Camino Frances and stood in front of the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela!! It's been 33 days since I left Saint Jean Pied de Port...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.