• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Guardia Civil returning lost passports to owners

Bradypus

Migratory hermit
Time of past OR future Camino
Too many and too often!
Within the past few hours there have been two stories on local news media reporting that the Guardia Civil have been successful in returning lost passports to pilgrims. One in Najera, the other in the Portomarin area. A very helpful service which must have taken some considerable time and resources from the GC. But also a reminder to be more careful with personal documents and other valuables.

Last edited:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I’m so glad to hear this, as it’s actually my very worst nightmare, having my passport lost or stolen, leaving me stranded and unable to return home to the US*. I know that this does happen and that it can be resolved, but I know I’ll panic, not knowing what to do. Anything else would be aggravating, but this is the one loss I fear the most.

*then again, being stranded in Spain might not be such a bad thing…

I bought a long-sleeved Pategonia brand shirt some years ago, for international travel. It has two button-up breast pockets, plus a large zip-up breast pocket which can contain vital documents, including my passport (in a small plastic bag for protection). I wear this shirt as a jacket, buttoned or open depending on the weather, every day when travelling internationally. One of my merino short-sleeved shirts is worn underneath, and a coat overtop, when needed for the weather. Sometimes I sweat, but I never worry about losing my passport, bank cards, or other small valuables. This shirt was supposedly fitted for men, with nothing comparable available for women. It works pretty well for me.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
I’m so glad to hear this, as it’s actually my very worst nightmare, having my passport lost or stolen, leaving me stranded and unable to return home to the US*. I know that this does happen and that it can be resolved, but I know I’ll panic, not knowing what to do. Anything else would be aggravating, but this is the one loss I fear the most.
A friend lost her passport while on the Camino. It was a pain to have to go to the Embassy in Madrid, but it wasn't a huge problem. I would recommend scanning your passport and emailing the image to yourself so that you can retrieve it anywhere that you can get online. I'm sure that being able to show them the scanned image with its data would be useful in getting an emergency passport. Also, print out a copy of your passport and carry it with you, perhaps laminate it too.

My bigger fear is losing my phone! All of my contacts and important information are on it.

A friend lost her passport while on the Camino. It was a pain to have to go to the Embassy in Madrid, but it wasn't a huge problem. I would recommend scanning your passport and emailing the image to yourself so that you can retrieve it anywhere that you can get online. I'm sure that being able to show them the scanned image with its data would be useful in getting an emergency passport. Also, print out a copy of your passport and carry it with you, perhaps laminate it too.

My bigger fear is losing my phone! All of my contacts and important information are on it.
Thanks! I can certainly do the copies and scanned versions, but still, what if I’m in the middle of nowhere, like the Meseta? Do I have to interrupt my trip and go all the way to the embassy in Madrid? A more specific nightmare is having my passport stolen the night before my morning return flight. I know, I know, it’s solvable, but I want to have an idea on what to do. As for the cellphone being stolen, that’s certainly another worry, since I’m on the verge of buying a brand new one, which I plan to backup, and to remind myself that in the old days, we managed to get by without these things and that it’s easy to get paranoid about these things...

Thanks! I can certainly do the copies and scanned versions, but still, what if I’m in the middle of nowhere, like the Meseta? Do I have to interrupt my trip and go all the way to the embassy in Madrid? A more specific nightmare is having my passport stolen the night before my morning return flight. I know, I know, it’s solvable, but I want to have an idea on what to do. As for the cellphone being stolen, that’s certainly another worry, since I’m on the verge of buying a brand new one, which I plan to backup, and to remind myself that in the old days, we managed to get by without these things and that it’s easy to get paranoid about these things...
The reliance on the phone will get ever greater. It can’t be long before the physical passport becomes no longer (I am finding it increasingly bizarre we carry these big books with stamps in) and it’s stored on our, errr… phones.i carry two phones, one is not linked to a number (it obviously could be) but at least I can use it to go online where there is WiFi and access anything.

The fact that we ‘managed’ in the old days I don’t think is too relevant! Nearly everyone is geared to connectivity nowadays. In terms of the digital revoltion , ‘we ain’t seen nothing yet!’

So when you upgrade to a new phone it may be worth keeping the old one!

Last edited:
Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Thanks! I can certainly do the copies and scanned versions, but still, what if I’m in the middle of nowhere, like the Meseta? Do I have to interrupt my trip and go all the way to the embassy in Madrid? A more specific nightmare is having my passport stolen the night before my morning return flight.
OK amigo, you are still h*ll bend on running yourself ragged! CHILL 🤣
Or we'll be reading about you in the news being another casualty of the Camino...

OK, so... 1/2way jokingly and 1/2 way serious
1.I would not interrupt my trip in the middle of Meseta. Until you are ready to go home your US passport means little on the Camino. Just try not to lose the credential
2.Where, Pray tell me, you are planning to spend a night before you fly home that you may worry about your documents being stolen?

I pretty much did what @trecile said - copied the passport, emailed it to myself, uploaded it onto Google drive and, for a good measure, printed out the copy (that's what we dinosaurs used to do before the humans started roaming the ....er.... before there were mobile smart phones) and kept it in a totally separate place. By all means feel free to use all 3 options or any combination of thereof.

I understand your trepidations, but seriously - its kind of reminds me of people who are afraid to go out for the fear that something will happen to them. To which I usually quip that if you think "that way" then your house is not safe either for the floor or the ceiling can cave in at any given moment.
Our lives are so much full of what-ifs that one may have to start wondering what's the use of living, PERIOD?! I'd rather quote Sir Paul from one of his songs: What's the use of worrying? (No Use)

More and more each day I begin to believe that you NEED the Camino! Go, my friend, Carpe Diem, throw caution to the wind (but be mindful of obvious things) and have a WONDERFUL AWESOME adventure and time (and then be prepared to catch the Camino-litis for it will no doubt get under your skin as it did for pretty much all of us)

❤️ ☮️ 1714160229789.png

OK amigo, you are still h*ll bend on running yourself ragged! CHILL 🤣
Or we'll be reading about you in the news being another casualty of the Camino...

1.I would not interrupt my trip in the middle of Meseta. Until you are ready to go home your US passport means little on the Camino. Just try not to lose the credential
2.Where, Pray tell me, you are planning to spend a night before you fly home that you may worry about your documents being stolen?

I pretty much did what @trecile said - copied the passport, emailed it to myself, uploaded it onto Google drive and, for a good measure, printed out the copy (that's what we dinosaurs used to do before the humans started roaming the ....er.... before there were mobile smart phones) and kept it in a totally separate place. By all means feel free to use all 3 options or any combination of thereof.

I understand your trepidations, but seriously - its kind of reminds me of people who are afraid to go out for the fear that something will happen to them. To which I usually quip that if you think "that way" then your house is not safe either for the floor or the ceiling can cave in at any given moment.
Our lives are so much full of what-ifs that one may have to start wondering what's the use of living, PERIOD?! I'd rather quote Sir Paul from one of his songs: What's the use of worrying? (No Use)

More and more each day I begin to believe that you NEED the Camino! Go, my friend, Carpe Diem, throw caution to the wind (but be mindful of obvious things) and have a WONDERFUL AWESOME adventure and time (and then be prepared to catch the Camino-litis for it will no doubt get under your skin as it did for pretty much all of us)

❤️ ☮️ View attachment 168786
Thanks!
I know it may come across this way, but I’m not quaking in my boots, staring at the ceiling in the middle of the night, ruminating on each possibility, I’m just unfamiliar with international travel, and things have changed over the years. I did go to Spain with a friend back in 2009, and within 20 minutes of arrival my friend got pickpocketed in the Metro. Someone alerted me to it, and I was lucky to find the passport holder on the floor, next to the door, ready to fall off the car onto the rails. Luckily I was able to retrieve it, only the money was gone. The rest of the trip was uneventful, but it left a bad impression. As to where will I spend the last night in Spain, who knows, but theft can happen anywhere, like on the Metro, so it’s not a far fetched thought. I’m not allowing my concerns to stop me, hell, I’M GOING!, and I want to be well-informed and have an idea on how to handle things.
I thank you for your support and enthusiasm! 😀

Last edited:
Honestly God - I feel more "nervous" when I go to NYC then any place in Europe. I was lucky enough to very quickly identify 3 attempts (and 'clumsy' at that may I add) to try to pickpocket me on the (in)famous LaRamblas and through all my times in Barca that was the extent of it. By all means I do always keep my guard and I do take cerain precautions but international travel is nothing to be afraid of. Heck I sent out my 25yo nephew all by himself to Paris his 1st everything incl plane flight. (Oh and I have to mention that he is, or rather WAS, quite an introvert at the time). Very much a seasoned traveler now, with multiple languages under the belt, reasonably outgoing and now-a-days eyeing Africa (as in Morocco) for a 'challenge"

Yeah you'll be fine. The more we hyperventilate - the more we "hyperventilate" and THAT produces 'errors' not to mention more stress.

Once more - you wil LOVE the Camino!!!!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
The Guardia Civil returning things? My how the world has changed 😊. I don’t suppose there’s much point in asking if they’ve found the small bundle of peseta they relieved me of in 1969?

For those who wonder how safe it is to wander the Camino - I remember the days when the last thing you wanted to see was a Guardia. I am very happy that the world has turned upside down 😉

Honestly God - I feel more "nervous" when I go to NYC then any place in Europe. I was lucky enough to very quickly identify 3 attempts (and 'clumsy' at that may I add) to try to pickpocket me on the (in)famous LaRamblas and through all my times in Barca that was the extent of it. By all means I do always keep my guard and I do take cerain precautions but international travel is nothing to be afraid of. Heck I sent out my 25yo nephew all by himself to Paris his 1st everything incl plane flight. (Oh and I have to mention that he is, or rather WAS, quite an introvert at the time). Very much a seasoned traveler now, with multiple languages under the belt, reasonably outgoing and now-a-days eyeing Africa (as in Morocco) for a 'challenge"

Yeah you'll be fine. The more we hyperventilate - the more we "hyperventilate" and THAT produces 'errors' not to mention more stress.

Once more - you wil LOVE the Camino!!!!
I ALREADY loooove the Camino, without even being there yet! I just hate the thought of it being ruined by thieves. Also, it may be a matter of temperament and bad experiences. Throwing caution to the wind has resulted in dire consequences for me, so it’s much harder to be as relaxed and care-free if it was otherwise. It’s a balancing act, being open to a new experience but not being so naive to not prepare for things like these, and we all differ on our individual risk tolerance and how much we can/should push our limits. I’m grateful for your enthusiasm! 👍

Before my first time in Paris in 2014, I had done some research of pickpocket scams in the city. I was very surprised when two of the main scams attempted to scam me!...what are the odds?
One was the "string scam" and the other the "brass ring" scam.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I would recommend scanning your passport and emailing the image to yourself so that you can retrieve it anywhere that you can get online. I'm sure that being able to show them the scanned image with its data would be useful in getting an emergency passport. Also, print out a copy of your passport and carry it with you, perhaps laminate it too.
I would do the former, but not necessarily the latter. I say this because, around the time of my first Camino, I did something similar, carrying a photocopy of my passport in case I lost it (emailing it to myself or saving a scan online wasn't a possibility back then). What happened was that the photocopy was stolen and used by someone else to attempt to request a passport in my name. Since then, it's always taken me a lot longer to get a renewed passport than anyone else in my family.

BTW, that was in Spain.

I would do the former, but not necessarily the latter. I say this because, around the time of my first Camino, I did something similar, carrying a photocopy of my passport in case I lost it (emailing it to myself or saving a scan online wasn't a possibility back then). What happened was that the photocopy was stolen and used by someone else to attempt to request a passport in my name.
Wow, that sucks! I only suggested it because I have read posts here and elsewhere that some people show the photocopy of their passport when they check in at albergues (I know that hospitaleros can insist on seeing the real thing, but this is what some have reported), and leave their real passport in their backpack. That's not something that I would do, because I keep my valuables in my crossbody bag which I keep on all the time - I don't want my valuables buried in my backpack where I can't check on them easily.

Before my first time in Paris in 2014, I had done some research of pickpocket scams in the city. I was very surprised when two of the main scams attempted to scam me!...what are the odds?
One was the "string scam" and the other the "brass ring" scam.
We got the “bird poop” scam in Barcelona. I had just read about it on the Rick Steves website or it would have worked. I was SHOCKED that the culprit was a well groomed gentleman in a business suit! I read that site before each trip to hear the latest, now.

€83,-
That's the crux of bird poop scam - the person or persons who will 'help' you will be impeccably dressed and well behaved.
2 friends of mine git hit in Madrid. Only after they realized that they were robbed it occurred to them that it had to be a flying cow to dump so much poop on them both.
...of course it was the lady who was more upset since the reasonably new blouse was completely ruined 😒

Last edited:
I am pretty certain that most legitimate accomodations in Spain require your passport when you check in. So while you might be able to get by for a night or two w/o you will need a police report pretty quickly (both to hopefully get accommodation and for your embassy) and won't be able to finish the Camino until that is sorted.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
We got the “bird poop” scam in Barcelona. I had just read about it on the Rick Steves website or it would have worked. I was SHOCKED that the culprit was a well groomed gentleman in a business suit! I read that site before each trip to hear the latest, now.
I have had that attempted on me a couple of times, most recently in Buenos Aires. It’s boomtime for the thieves there as due to the currency situ, tourists are entering the country with wads of USD or withdrawing loads of cash in one hit from Western Union. Lots of long and wide streets too perfect for watching you prey!

The strange thing was that the bloke who appeared with the tissues was quite dishevelled and the least likely person to be carrying tissues ever, but the tactic does disoriente you and I can see how it works.

Last edited:
what if I’m in the middle of nowhere, like the Meseta? Do I have to interrupt my trip and go all the way to the embassy in Madrid?

Malicious people would make use of the passport or/and information in the passport to forge identity. As such, I wouldn't take any chance and immediately report the lost of the passport.

Malicious people would make use of the passport or/and information in the passport to forge identity. As such, I wouldn't take any chance and immediately report the lost of the passport.
Definitely I would do that! I’m not sure what kind of help is available for pilgrims having this problem, as I’m sure it’s happened several times. Would the Gusrdia Civil help me in arranging for a new passport? Having to go physically to the Madrid embassy can be very difficult (isn’t a passport required to take the bus or train?)

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Definitely I would do that! I’m not sure what kind of help is available for pilgrims having this problem, as I’m sure it’s happened several times. Would the Gusrdia Civil help me in arranging for a new passport? Having to go physically to the Madrid embassy can be very difficult (isn’t a passport required to take the bus or train?)
Download the Guardia Civil's AlertCops app to your phone. You can get in touch with the GC easily with it.

A passport number is required to book a bus or train, but I don't remember having had it checked. And if it was, you could possibly show them a statement from the Guardia Civil that your had been lost.

I laminate the info page of my passport and use this everywhere except the airport when I show the original which is always in a waist belt under my clothes. No one has ever refused the laminated copy. I I put my phone number on my passport.

I think options and opinions as to what to do and how are aplenty as always. One thing for sure (and this is an ongoing theme on numerous threads practically all the time) keep your most valuables on yourself at all the tines and guard them as if your life depends on it (but try to have fun as well)

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Following my Camino Ingles in 2018 I lost my passport and sadder still, my credential, on the night before I was due to fly home to the UK.
The taxi for the next day was booked, I had a laminated copy of the data pages and my UK driving licence so . . .
The desk at EasyJet were fine about it and one of the ladies even walked me through to security and immigration to help explain. The two security officers shrugged and waved me though saying "Good luck!"
Immigration at Gatwick, however, were not so happy.
How had I managed to get on the plane? Seeking to lighten the mood I said "I walked up the steps . . ." Yeah, don't do that.
Why hadn't I gone to the British Embassy in Madrid to get a replacement? Because it was 300 miles away . . .
I was made to sit in an open "sin bin" in full view of the public with half a dozen other miscreants for about 30 minutes until they grudgingly let me in to my own country.
Best advice, don't lose your passport.

...Immigration at Gatwick, however, were not so happy....I was made to sit...for about 30 minutes until they grudgingly let me in to my own country.
Ah YES!!!! The ultimate joy of returning home.
I won't even remotely touch on clearing the Passport Control in any of European airports vs. JFK 😡
And I will forever remember the 2 separate times of going to Canada. No issues once so ever with Canadians, but the US folks!!! OUCH!
One of these times we were going with another couple to see our mutual friends in Toronto. It was during winter time, we were actually going for a big festivity event in some swanky place, so the other lady decided to bring her fur coat. Nobody is sitting in a car for a 10-hour ride in a fur coat, so it was nicely packed into its own garment bag and placed in the trunk with other suitcases. Again, not a peep from Canadians, but coming back, we were told to open the trunk... and madness started. They just wouldn't take No for an answer that that fur coat was not purchased in Canada, and I guess she had to pay some "import taxes."
Took us a good hour whence towards the end the lady totally lost her cool and was practically cursing every one of them out.
Come to think of it I'm surprised we didn't get arrested but regardless I wasn't aware that I'm to bring a 5yo receipt with me just to prove that a given piece of clothing was purchased somewhere else. Reckon if she actually was wearing it most likely nothing would have happened. Crazy....

Lost stuff

These are few things you can do to help you stop losing gear and also have it returned to you if you do leave it behind.

1. Try to putting things together when you stop for a rest.

2. Try to put thing on the side you are leaving from. For example if you are on a bus or train put you poles, bags on the aisle side.

3. When ever you leave a place also have a mum’s look around to make sure you have not left anything.

4. Label everything with your name and email address.

https://www.thatsmine.com.au/

1. For large items like backpacks, hand or bumbags or even your pets apple air tags help you track down lost stuff.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
My other hack for protecting my passport, it to have a laminated copy of the password ID page taped to my pilgrim’s credentials. That way in most cases people registering for accommodation accept the copy rather than hading them the original.

The first thing in case of a lost or stolen passport would be to look up the advice on your government’s website.

I don’t know what your country requires, but if a New Zealand passport is lost or stolen, it can be reported online and an application for a replacement can also be made online. If the affected traveller needs to travel internationally within 2-3 days, there is a fast track system to get travel docs.

I’d also be letting my insurance company know, as you can probably claim for costs…and need to make sure you have all the correct paperwork to claim…

@HBS60 , you might find this useful:

As regards physical documents (passport and Driver's licence) , airline tickets etc :

You can of course carry copies, personally I simply would photograph everything (or in the case of online tickets make a screenshot),) and email them to somebody that you trust (relative, friend) and of course to yourself.

This prevents fraudulent use of the copies whilst making them easily accessible to you.

I also record important data ( emergency phone numbers and email addresses for example, even SIM PIN numbers in a secure format/code) and that is tucked away in a mini ziplock bag in my money belt. Takes up about as much room as a credit card.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Most read last week in this forum

A message has just been posted on the Facebook account of the albergue in Roncesvalles. It seems the combination of pilgrim numbers beyond their capacity and poor weather has made this a difficult...
I’m on the Camino Frances since April 4. I just finished the Meseta and it feels unpleasantly busy and has since the beginning. No time time to smell the roses or draw much. There is a sense from...
Hello, I'll be starting the Camino soon and there's one bit of it that worries me. The descent from Collado de Lepoeder to Roncesvalles seems quite steep (according to the Wise Pilgrim app) which...
Hi everyone. My name is Nika. I plan to take my backpack, and go on Camino in the end of the next week. I still don’t know how will I get from Kyiv to France. And what city should I come to… I...
Good morning, all: I'll be starting my first-ever Camino (and first trip to Europe, actually) in one month. I'd appreciate any and all advice regarding the price(s)/price range for lunches on the...
We are in SJPP today While we were standing in line today, one of my pilgrims met 3 people from Taiwan, who could not find a bed. He said he also saw several people on their phones, frantically...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back