• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Guide books

Hi
Im trying to locate a 2011 edition of John Brierley's Guide to the Camino Frances. Findhorn Press only offer a pre-order for the 2012 editiion but it wont be available till jan and I dont want to wait that long. I think the 2011 edition will be good enough for my 2012 walk.
Ive queried a local book store who advise they can get a 2011 edition of the guide from "SJPP to Finisterre via Santiago".
Is this the same thing? It doesnt sound quite right.
or...can anyone tell me how I can get a 2011 edition.

would appreciate any advice. thanks
karen

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi Karen,
I have the 2009 editions.
The main guide book is only SJPP to Santiago.
There is also an edition which only has the maps it is SJPP/Roncesvalles - Finistrre via Santiago, but is only maps not the full guide.
This was 2009, but be careful that the bookshop is not looking at a maps only 2011 edition.
Buen Camino
Col

The 6th edition, 2010, is available from Amazon.com. I have not seen a 2011 edition except for the map book, Muxia, and Portuguese. That does not mean it does not exist!!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
It certainly exists. I used the 7th (2011) edition this year. I'd offer to send it to you, but it got caught in a rainstorm and is looking more than a bit dog-eared!

Edit: Now I look at it, my copy might also contain some bad language where my notes disagreed significantly with Mr Brierley on certain points.

The book doesn't cover Finisterre, apart from a paragraph at the end. John Brierley has a separate book on that route.

Keith

tyrrek said:
It certainly exists. I used the 7th (2011) edition this year. I'd offer to send it to you, but it got caught in a rainstorm and is looking more than a bit dog-eared!

Edit: Now I look at it, my copy might also contain some bad language where my notes disagreed significantly with Mr Brierley on certain points.

The book doesn't cover Finisterre, apart from a paragraph at the end. John Brierley has a separate book on that route.

Keith

Hi, Keith...tell me, please...how did you disagree with Mr Brierley? Am planning on walking in spring of 2012 and will be using his book.
Please advise.
Bozzie

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
thanks everyone for your responses....

looks like the 2010 edition is available and I can pre-order the 2012 but no 2011 edition to be found...
Keith - where did you buy your copy?

karen

Re: "Hi, Keith...tell me, please...how did you disagree with Mr Brierley? Am planning on walking in spring of 2012 and will be using his book.
Please advise.
Bozzie"

Hi Bozzie

I was probably being very unfair, and may just have been venting my tiredness at Mr B! I found the book very useful, especially the maps for planning the next few days walking. They aren't totally to scale, which can mislead slightly, but Brierley acknowledges that and I'm sure that it's just to clarify some of the key points along the particular stage. Some of the topography charts didn't really seem to relate to the experience of walking, though (stage 11 going into San Juan springs to mind, where it looks like a series of hills but appeared pretty flat to me!)

Where I did disagree was on his definitions of things like a 'busy road'. A busy road for Mr B seemed to be a road where cars can come along quite quickly, even if there's only one every 10 minutes! You might be tempted to take a longer route to avoid the 'traffic' when it really isn't necessary.

One or two things to be aware of is that it doesn't point out some of the practical issues such as where the next ATM is*, so I sometimes found I was carrying more cash than I would have liked. It would also be useful to have some indication of the relative costs of hostal accommodation, even if that was just indicative price bands rather than an exact figure. I think the most popular German guide covers both these points.

I had a discussion about Mr B's 'personal reflections' sections with some fellow peregrinos on the way into Santiago on my recent Camino Ingles. It seems some people like them, but others find them a bit over the top.

Overall, I don't regret taking it and didn't see a better guide in English, so I apologise to Mr B for my haste in condemning him at the time!

Keith

* The websites of Servired and Telebanco (the 2 main ATM networks) have maps showing the location of ATMs so you can check that out before you go.

Hi Karen

I got my copy from Amazon around March/April, but as you know they now just seem to be taking pre-orders for 2012 edition. I had a quick scan of a couple of other UK sites last night and they're either the same, or even selling earlier editions! I really don't understand it, and would have started doubting myself if the book wasn't sitting right in front of me!

Good luck tracking a copy down.

Keith

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
tyrrek said:
Hi Karen I got my copy from Amazon around March/April, but as you know they now just seem to be taking pre-orders for 2012 edition. I had a quick scan of a couple of other UK sites last night and they're either the same, or even selling earlier editions! Keith
Sounds like it is out of print... Karen, I can send you an old copy (2007?) to look at if you want- though I mutilated it a bit by tearing out some pages. A lot of the basic info won't have changed..
Margaret

There is a copy of the 2010 edition online, but I suspect it's 'unofficial' and I don't want to get this site into any legal wrangles so I won't post a link! I was sent it by a friend, and only used it for planning while I was waiting for my paper copy of the 2011 edition to arrive, so personally I don't feel too guilty about it.

I'm glad this has come up, as I just realised that I hadn't given my donitivo to Jonniewalker for his excellent guide to the Camino Ingles (there was some kind of payment problem when I tried before). All is now sorted!

Keith

tyrrek said:
I'm glad this has come up, as I just realised that I hadn't given my donitivo to Jonniewalker for his excellent guide to the Camino Ingles (there was some kind of payment problem when I tried before). All is now sorted! Keith

Errrr....not to me but to the Confraternity of St James, a charitable organisation to further their work supporting pilgrims.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I meant you to get credit for the book, not the loot! :)

Thanks, Keith...I appreciate your candid comments and insights.
Bozzie

tyrrek said:
Re: "Hi, Keith...tell me, please...how did you disagree with Mr Brierley? Am planning on walking in spring of 2012 and will be using his book.
Please advise.
Bozzie"

Hi Bozzie

I was probably being very unfair, and may just have been venting my tiredness at Mr B! I found the book very useful, especially the maps for planning the next few days walking. They aren't totally to scale, which can mislead slightly, but Brierley acknowledges that and I'm sure that it's just to clarify some of the key points along the particular stage. Some of the topography charts didn't really seem to relate to the experience of walking, though (stage 11 going into San Juan springs to mind, where it looks like a series of hills but appeared pretty flat to me!)

Where I did disagree was on his definitions of things like a 'busy road'. A busy road for Mr B seemed to be a road where cars can come along quite quickly, even if there's only one every 10 minutes! You might be tempted to take a longer route to avoid the 'traffic' when it really isn't necessary.

One or two things to be aware of is that it doesn't point out some of the practical issues such as where the next ATM is*, so I sometimes found I was carrying more cash than I would have liked. It would also be useful to have some indication of the relative costs of hostal accommodation, even if that was just indicative price bands rather than an exact figure. I think the most popular German guide covers both these points.

I had a discussion about Mr B's 'personal reflections' sections with some fellow peregrinos on the way into Santiago on my recent Camino Ingles. It seems some people like them, but others find them a bit over the top.

Overall, I don't regret taking it and didn't see a better guide in English, so I apologise to Mr B for my haste in condemning him at the time!

Keith

* The websites of Servired and Telebanco (the 2 main ATM networks) have maps showing the location of ATMs so you can check that out before you go.

Most read last week in this forum

Hello, Planning Sarria to Campostela mid Sept, 2024. Both wife and I are 71 years old and from America. Will fly from Paris to Campostela. We are pretty active and estimate 10-13 miles per day OK...
Hello everyone, I’m about to embark on my first Camino this month in a week or so. I had plans to go with a friend but it fell through so now I’m visiting a friend in France until I work up the...
Apologies if this topic has been covered before. I’m interested in the earliest/recommended date someone can reserve the following services: 1) flights 2) inter-city buses 3) train (e.g...
I have a bad knee and have to be very careful about walking both up and down hills, mostly down, would the Central route be much different than the Litoral route? Where is the last place to change...
If you are planning to start a Camino in October 2024, you are invited to add a post to this thread – scroll down to the last post, and create a new post giving your expected start date, start...
Hi, this is Nils from Tenerife. I'm excited to start my very first camino - let's see what it will bring! 😍 For me, this journey is very much like an inwardly guided shamanic ceremony, following...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.