Have you seen this "Hoverglide" backpack?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Jeff Crawley

Veteran Member
Nov 9, 2014
Kent, UK
canterburypilgrim.wordpress.com
Time of past OR future Camino
A "Tourigrino" trip once Covid has passed, so 2023
I checked my calendar to see if it was April Fools' Day but no, it's a real thing!

Just watching the video of the thing bouncing up and down made me feel queasy and, seriously, who runs like that with a full pack (apart from US Rangers and British Commandos)?

Now if it was a Hover Board, well then you're talking! ;)

Jul 18, 2014
Yearly and Various 2014-2019
Via Monastica 2022
"A field radio operator with the 1st Marine Regiment noted that the pack was a bit noisier then he would like..."
Imagine. On top of poles going tic-tack-tic-tack there will be this other noise, whatever it is.
It could be the straw that breaks the camel's back, driving local residents along the Camino Frances over the edge. o_O:p

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

domigee

Veteran Member
Nov 25, 2013
UK/Spain
2024 Paris to SdC... maybe
Imagine. On top of poles going tic-tack-tic-tack there will be this other noise, whatever it is.
It could be the straw that breaks the camel's back, driving local residents along the Camino Frances over the edge. o_O:p

Ooooh, the sound of those clicky poles, from Sarria o_Oo_Oo_O
Watching this video just gave me a headache... I need another Camino to chill out :D;)

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Jan 19, 2016
Suburb of Boston, Mass., USA
Us:Camino Frances, 2015 Me:Catalan/Aragonese, 2019
When you walk you bounce up and down. If you are wearing a backpack it bounces with you. When you bounce up you are lifting the weight of the pack and its contents. In the video sometimes it appears that the pack is bouncing but other times it looks unnaturally still. The pack was designed though to minimize your lifting it with every step. This webpage may interest you:
https://newatlas.com/hoverglide-bouncing-floating-backpack/55959/

Stefystar

Mar 7, 2016
Camino Frances from sarria 2015
Via Francigena Aquapendente to Rome 2016
Camino Portuguese from TuI 2016
Hi trecile,
Thank you for you post!! It brought a real smile to my face, as I look quite unusual and I am not sure how it would relief from the weight..did it have an anti-gravity system?
And true enough not many run with a backpack...
I could not for sure..

Reactions: KinkyOne

trecile

Staff member
Feb 19, 2016
Southern Oregon
Francés, Norte, Salvador, Primitivo, Portuguese
Hi trecile,
Thank you for you post!! It brought a real smile to my face, as I look quite unusual and I am not sure how it would relief from the weight..did it have an anti-gravity system?
And true enough not many run with a backpack...
I could not for sure..
I think that they show someone running with the backpack to emphasize how it works.

€60,-

Lurch

Jan 15, 2017
CF (parts of) 2018, 2021
The US military is testing it as a replacement for the current packs. Supposedly it will allow 12-15 additional pounds to be carried, for the same expenditure of effort. Sounds like a good idea if it works, although there is a tendency to just put more on the poor grunt’s back...from experience.

Feb 7, 2016
Bethel, Maine usa
Del Norte from Irun to Santander, Primitivo from Oviedo to Frances to Santiago September 2016
This popped up on my Facebook feed the other day. Looks interesting. https://www.hot-newtech.com/hoverglide

F=ma
Force = mass x acceleration.
Unless someone can explain how that extra force due to movement is absorbed I can't see it as more than the proverbial better mouse trap. From my years of experience keeping the load stable and close to your body is a must.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Jan 19, 2016
Suburb of Boston, Mass., USA
Us:Camino Frances, 2015 Me:Catalan/Aragonese, 2019
I think that they show someone running with the backpack to emphasize how it works.
I came upon this paragraph in a page about the pack:

The design also makes it easier to run with a backpack, which, with a fixed pack, is usually uncomfortable and can increase the vertical forces on the back by up to a factor of three. This could help emergency personnel to carry equipment quickly at sites of accidents or disasters.

Mar 1, 2017
Northern Illinois, USA
Recent:Norte/Muxia- Spring '23
MadridWay- Fall '23
"A field radio operator with the 1st Marine Regiment noted that the pack was a bit noisier then he would like..."
Did I hear you say camel? Such as one wearing red socks? :D ;)

Reactions: VNwalking
Mar 1, 2017
Northern Illinois, USA
Recent:Norte/Muxia- Spring '23
MadridWay- Fall '23
The US military is testing it as a replacement for the current packs. Supposedly it will allow 12-15 additional pounds to be carried, for the same expenditure of effort. Sounds like a good idea if it works, although there is a tendency to just put more on the poor grunt’s back...from experience.
Yes, and hoisting those extra pounds into position on your back would be a negative for sure.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

lt56ny

Veteran Member
Jul 28, 2012
Bucerias, Mexico
2024 Aragones, Madrid, Portugues Coastal
At the prices quoted between $479 and $489US for a 30L pack and $599US for the 55 liter pack I will stick with my REI 45L closeout I bought for $79US. It works just fine and I never have problems. Only reason I have one that big is I bring an old cushy throw pillow that I use for sleeping. Really light but takes up alot of room.

Reactions: Camino Chrissy
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Most read last week in this forum

The standard response to what to do when you get bed bugs, is to wash and dry everything at 60 degrees. But if you do that to your silk sleeping bag liner or your merino socks or t shirts or down...
I will do the Camino Frances from mid June to mid July and will start in Pamplona. Should I take a fleece/cold weather garment?
Hey all! Having rabbit holed many, many packing lists, I'd love y'alls feedback on my packing list - https://lighterpack.com/r/p6hm36 For context, I'm 49, medium experienced hiker, weigh 200lbs...
Does anyone have experience with the Patagonia Cool Daily long sleeve hoody on the Camino? Last summer on the Norte I wore the REI Sahara long sleeve t-shirt and while I liked it I found it a bit...
The new "Experience" line from Altra looks interesting. Has anybody tried them yet? I will order a pair of Altra Experience Wild and report back after some day hikes. They have the traditional...
Having had two sets of poles taken from me at the airport on my return flight (traveling cabin luggage only) I want to buy poles cheaply on arrival before O begin my Camino..either in Santiago or...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.