Hay fever in fall in Galicia

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

scruffy1

Veteran Member
Oct 10, 2010
Jerusalem
Time of past OR future Camino
Holy Year from Pamplona 2010, SJPP 2011, Lisbon 2012, Le Puy 2013, Vezelay (partial watch this space!) 2014; 2015 Toulouse-Puenta la Reina (Arles)
There are many eucalyptus stands in Galicia. The eucalyptus is a tree from the southern hemisphere and here in Israel it blooms spring, summer, fall, even into winter - a very confused tree. The pollen is prolific and tiny and a common cause of asthma. There are hundreds of different types of eucalyptus some acclimatized to the Northern Hemisphere many not, sorry, concerning Galicia I have nothing relevant on blooming, I'm a gardener not a botanist.

Reactions: FamPed

Camino Addict

Dec 9, 2014
USA
Portugues (2013), Caminho Costa (2013), Frances (2014, 18) Mozarabe (2017), Portugues (2019)
Howdy Pilgrim,

I have allergies, and they kick my butt sometimes, but I am happy to say that they don't effect me as much on the Camino. Depending on who you talk to, I being born in Spain supposedly helps, but I still need to pop an Allegra from time to time during allergy season when I'm over there. With that being said, I recommend you bring your allergy fighting kit, but if it does not help, there are many doctors and pharmacies on the Camino that can assist.

Reactions: FamPed
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

scruffy1

Veteran Member
Oct 10, 2010
Jerusalem
Holy Year from Pamplona 2010, SJPP 2011, Lisbon 2012, Le Puy 2013, Vezelay (partial watch this space!) 2014; 2015 Toulouse-Puenta la Reina (Arles)
Howdy Pilgrim,

I have allergies, and they kick my butt sometimes, but I am happy to say that they don't effect me as much on the Camino. Depending on who you talk to, I being born in Spain supposedly helps, but I still need to pop an Allegra from time to time during allergy season when I'm over there. With that being said, I recommend you bring your allergy fighting kit, but if it does not help, there are many doctors and pharmacies on the Camino that can assist.
Many allergies and a place where they almost always speak excellent English a great help for whatever ails and even in things not pharmaceutical.

Anamiri

Veteran Member
Feb 7, 2018
New Zealand
2016, 2017, 2019 Camino Frances
I am normally allergic to just about everything, I live on antihistamines. In Spain, no problems. My antihistamines normally just take the edge off, and I still sneeze, wheeze etc. First Camino, autumn, no problems, second Camino, late spring/Summer, no problems.
I guess there would be more pollen in spring/summer, and more dust in autumn.

Edited to add that the bonus of taking antihistamines all the time is that when I was bitten by bedbugs, they cleared up quickly

Last edited:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

NualaOC

Veteran Member
Mar 11, 2012
Ireland
A few and hopefully lots more.
Hi @Lindainatl. I also suffer from hayfever and had my worst ever attack in Galicia in June 2015. It started in one of the eucalyptus forests and took a long time to settle. Since then, I've walked three times in Galicia in September/October with no symptoms.

Hopefully you won't have any problems, but since everyone's allergies are different, there are no guarantees. As others have said, the Spanish farmacias are fantastic and most pharmacists seem to speak English. Incidentally, I've also found that the pharmacists always seem to know the best places to eat in their towns!

Most read last week in this forum

I wasn’t sure where to post this so mods feel free to move it. This year I’ve had more than one person in my group complain because the pork they ordered was “raw” and they have sent it back to...
My knee is not swollen but is really sore and I am thinking that I could try to find a place to recover, and am asking for ideas. I am currently in Zubiri. I can take a bus out of here to Pamplona...
[Moderators, feel free to move this if I posted in the wrong place.] What does it take to be able to walk a Camino after a heart problem? I guess I will see for myself. Tomorrow morning I am...
Promised to take my daughter with me when doing the GSB on the Swiss/Italian border. She has been doing a lot of walking in preparation but now has terrible blisters. Searching the threads here...
I am about three weeks out on the Norte averaging close to 30 to 35 kms and at this point aside from blisters, I haven’t had a lot of physical issues. I have one week left with a flight booked...
Hiya! Quick question, in order to go to a Centro de Salud (health Center) do I need to make an appointment? I’ve got a very very painful blister that has been on and off for about 4 weeks and I’m...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.