• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Hello Everyone

jdelrio

Hi guys, my name is Javier Del Rio. I'm from Florida, in the U.S. I'm looking to take El Camino Primitivo during the winter, around December 10, 2011. I'll be popping up all over the forum with plenty of questions that I hope some of you will be willing to answer. Thanks for being hospitable, in advance.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Welcome Javier -

You will find answers to everything you ask. You will find support, encouragement and more than you ever thought to ask! So go ahead, we're waiting......

Welcome!

lynne

And you might get this word of warning from another Javier - who lives in Spain - taken from my blogpost on Walking in Winter. http://amawalker.blogspot.com/2009/10/w ... inter.html

I've walked two different Caminos in winter. The Camino Sanabres was very, very cold, with a lot of snow. The Camino Portuguese had nice weather. I imagine the Camino ingles would be very wet, the same on the Camino del Norte. If I was you, I would try the Portuguese, or the Camino Frances, but absolutely NOT the Camino Primitivo in winter. The Camino Primitivo (from Oviedo to Lugo) is wonderful. But, do not walk alone in Winter because you will be on your own. Often the path is very far from housing so if you stumble ... No antennas so the phone does not work. (Javier - Madrid, Spain)

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I think not walking the Primitivo in adverse weather conditions in very good advice. However the weather patterns around the world are changing and certainly that is the case. Last week in Galicia we have a heat wave! My advice would be to check the weather forecasts much nearer the time and then take a final decision on the exact route.

Best wishes

John

sillydoll said:
And you might get this word of warning from another Javier - who lives in Spain - taken from my blogpost on Walking in Winter. http://amawalker.blogspot.com/2009/10/w ... inter.html

I've walked two different Caminos in winter. The Camino Sanabres was very, very cold, with a lot of snow. The Camino Portuguese had nice weather. I imagine the Camino ingles would be very wet, the same on the Camino del Norte. If I was you, I would try the Portuguese, or the Camino Frances, but absolutely NOT the Camino Primitivo in winter. The Camino Primitivo (from Oviedo to Lugo) is wonderful. But, do not walk alone in Winter because you will be on your own. Often the path is very far from housing so if you stumble ... No antennas so the phone does not work. (Javier - Madrid, Spain)

Excellent, Sillydoll! That is exactly what I like to hear.

I don't like to talk about myself much, so for the sake of not being a chatterbox I'll be brief: For very personal reasons, I want my Camino to be solitary, harsh, and maybe even a little dangerous. I'm not a crazy thrill seeker; for that I'd climb the Himalayas or something, but this is exactly what I was hoping for.

Also, to my knowledge, it is a shorter Camino that takes about two weeks to complete, and that's about all the time I can spare in my busy schedule. :( I'd love to take a longer one, but I'd have to wait a very long time to do so, and I need to do this soon.

I'm not unused to harsh conditions. I joined the US Marine Corps when I was 20, and I'm still currently in it. It keeps me strong and hard. :)

Enjoy - but stay safe.
Remember that 112 is the Europe-wide emergency number. It works even if you have no money in a pre-paid mobile phone or even if your supplier has no network. It works 24/7 365 days - and the operators speak many languages. The number for the Guardia Civil in Spain is 062.
Buen Camino!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Javier:

I have never walked the Primitivo so I can not offer specific advice. That said, from an old Marine, I suggest you take the advice you get on this forum into consideration in your decision making. You should also listen to the locals, regarding the weather, once you have begun your Camino.

Otherwise Buen Camino and "Semper Fi".

Ultreya,
Joe

Most read last week in this forum

Hello everyone, I’m about to embark on my first Camino this month in a week or so. I had plans to go with a friend but it fell through so now I’m visiting a friend in France until I work up the...
Good evening all! We began our yearly route to Santiago, today! We 4 Peregrinos resumed our Camino at Rabanal del Camino and walked to Acebo. We encountered Snow, Hail Stones and rain. We loved...
June 22 -@Amachant (SJPP)
Hi I'm Keith 60 years young from Newcastle upon Tyne UK.arriving on the 1635 Edinburgh ryanair flight on 9th September 2024 anyone like to share my express bourricot
I loved my 2022 Camino Frances!! Leaving Los Angeles on May 26 for Lisbon. Will walk the Portuguese Costal route and the spiritual variant. Starts from Porto on June 4 and arrive in Santiago on...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.