• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Hello Pilgrims

pos

My name is Paul and I am from Ireland. I am planning to start the Camino on October 2nd from St Jean Pied de Port. A little about myself, well I am aged 57 and retired and I have a good working knowledge of Spanish. Looking forward to meeting some friendly pilgrims on my journey.
Buen Camino.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hello Paul,
Welcome to the Forum! There are many Irish Pilgrims on the Camino this year! I have done the Camino twice and both times I met wonderful Irish Pilgrims.

My experience has been in the summer as I am a teacher and am currently back in school already! But I think you will have fewer people, great weather and an experience you will remember for the rest of your life.

Any and all information you want/need can be found here on this site - perhaps even some information you would rather NOT know - I'm talking about bedbug photos!!
Best of luck on your Camino - let us know how it goes!

Buen Camino,

Hello Deirdre

Thank you for your words of welcome and encouragement. I am really looking forward to doing the Camino in October. Yes, I have read all about the bed bugs and I am getting a bit worried that I may be bitten by them and that it will ruin my Camino experience. Have you ever come accross bed bugs in the albergues or pilgrims who have been bitten by them? What precautions should I take?

Thanks again for your kind words.

Paul

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I personally have not encountered bedbugs - except perhaps in Fisterra where they said the albergue was "closed due to a water problem" which I found out later is Camino language for "we're fumigating for bedbugs". :?

I did buy and use exclusively on my Way a silk sleeping bag/liner. I have been told that bedbugs cannot penetrate the silk...although I actually only got it because I walked in the summer and felt my sleeping bag might be too warm. Here is the website for the company from whom I purchased it if you want to have a look. http://www.dreamsack.com/ And it weigh nothing!

I would say you need to be prepared for cold - mornings and evenings on the meseta can get very cold even in summer. And daytime heat - also on the meseta. Then in Galicia, well the climate is nearly identical to Ireland (perhaps a small bit warmer) fog, mist and soft rain. You might have it all! :)
Buen Camino,

Hello Deirdre

Thank you for your suggestions and advice. I am glad to hear that you did not encounter any of the dreaded bed bugs on your caminos and that infested albergues are closed down and fumigated.

I will be using a down sleeping bag and I have also got a foil blanket to put under it. I will be spending just two weeks on the Camino, so I may not even reach the Meseta and I will be leaving the last stages through Galicia until next year.

Thanks again

Paul

Most read last week in this forum

Hace dos días falleció a los 78 años Pepe Puertas "el peregrino de La Rioja" Todos los años en Julio hacía el camino francés completo para llegar a Compostela el 25 de Julio. Año tras año durante...
Hello my name is Brenda and I am establishing a daily AA meeting 6-7 pm at Casa Anglican WhatsApp 416-8018176 for daily updates Thankyou. Buen Camino
Hello. I’m Steph from USA Arriving in pamplona May 27 2024 Is anyone arriving that destination & date so we can coordinate transportation to SJPP. TIA
Hi forum friends, I've been reading lots of posts on here to prepare for my first Camino: May 11th to 16th, central Portuguese way starting from the portuguese border to Tui Spain As a solo female...
Hello fellow peregrines, I’m Davide , a 30,yrs old Italian guy from Barcelona ! I was always fascinated by the Camino de Santiago and my eyes got lucent when a day to the pueblo español I saw...
Can anyone tell me where I can purchase a Vodafone sim card in SJPD or any other town . I start in SJPD I prefer to have a sim rather then a esim

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.