• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Help with accommodation in St Jean!

Lyndie Lou

Time of past OR future Camino
First Camino hopefully starting the walk from SJPDP on the 18th of May 2014
We had hoped to stay at L'Esprit du Chemin on the 18th of May but they're already full! Any suggestions or recommendations for another refuge in St Jean please.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
We had hoped to stay at L'Esprit du Chemin on the 18th of May but they're already full! Any suggestions or recommendations for another refuge in St Jean please.

I planned on staying in L'esprit too last year, but cancelled 'cause i did not feel like doing the diner ritual there. I then stayed in Gite Ultreïa and this was nice too.
http://www.ultreia64.fr/en/

Hope it helps you.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Lyndie Lou,

If by chance you arrive in SJPdP without any reservation go to the pilgrim office of the Amis du Chemin de Saint Jacques at 39 rue de la Citadelle . They can provide you with a pilgrim Credential and on site lodging assistance. They keep up to the minute lists of ALL available space throughout the SJPdP area. Their volunteers also help run the municipal albergue at 55 rue de la Citadelle which is a fine place to stay, but it does not accept reservations.

Buen Camino,

Margaret Meredith

I planned on staying in L'esprit too last year, but cancelled 'cause i did not feel like doing the diner ritual there. I then stayed in Gite Ultreïa and this was nice too.

Hope it helps you.
Thanks Dutch, I'll look at their website and the tourist website that Falcon 269 recommended and then decide. I appreciate your advice.

Lyndie Lou,

If by chance you arrive in SJPdP without any reservation go to the pilgrim office of the Amis du Chemin de Saint Jacques at 39 rue de la Citadelle . They can provide you with a pilgrim Credential and on site lodging assistance. They keep up to the minute lists of ALL available space throughout the SJPdP area. Their volunteers also help run the municipal albergue at 55 rue de la Citadelle which is a fine place to stay, but it does not accept reservations.

Buen Camino,

Margaret Meredith
Thanks Margaret also great advice, all of which is helping to get me more and more excited about our up-coming trip!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Since May is a busy month on the camino you would probably feel more at ease traveling to SJPdP if you were able to book somewhere in advance.

There is always a bed somewhere, even if it is a more expensive hotel bed. If a reservation will give you peace of mind, make one.:)

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I tried booking in SJPDP and found many places fully booked for 15th May so best to book a place if you wish to

Sent from my iPhone using Camino de Santiago Forum mobile app

Hey Lyndie Lou,

I arrive in SJPDP May 15 and a couple of weeks ago I booked and paid online for a bed at the Gite Ultreia.
I later on emailed them to ask if they had received my reservation and payment, they responded confirming this but to contact them a few days before arrival just to confirm.
So far, my dealings with them have been good :)

Buen Camino!

Auberge du Pèlerin 25 rue de la Citadelle 64220 Saint Jean Pied de Port - France Tél : +33(0)5.59.49.10.86

I also tried L'Esprit but arrive too late for dinner so using the list from this site booked on line www.aubergedupelarin.com

It looks good on their site but I have never stayed there,

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Auberge du Pèlerin 25 rue de la Citadelle 64220 Saint Jean Pied de Port - France Tél : +33(0)5.59.49.10.86
I also tried L'Esprit but arrive too late for dinner so using the list from this site booked on line www.aubergedupelarin.com
I stayed there a couple of years ago. It was excellent.
It was recommended to me by L'Esprit du Chemin who were full when I enquired there.

Regds
Gerard

I stayed there a couple of years ago. It was excellent.
It was recommended to me by L'Esprit du Chemin who were full when I enquired there.

Regds
Gerard
Thanks Gerard that is good to know.

Hope it helps you.
Sadly Dutch Gite Ultreia is also full for the nights we need so I'll have to keep looking!!!!!

A selection of Camino Jewellery

Thanks Houlet that's my next option then, I'll give them a try now, third time lucky they say so we'll see if that's true...............

Hello Lyndie Lou,
I couldn't stay at l'Esprit du Chemin' either, I had failed to confirm my booking that afternoon but they gave me the name of another albergue: Kaserna (accueil paroissial Kaserna is the full name). It was just perfect, brand new at the time (july 2012) and a lovely couple as hospitaleros. I recommend it although of course it is unlikely it'll be the same French couple there.
It is in the same main street as l'Esprit du Chemin, more towards the exit of the town, just about opposite the bakery ...

http://www.saintjeanpieddeport-pays...lerins/refuge-accueil-paroissial#.Ux9IiJIgGSM

http://www.urcamino.com/camino-frances/saint-jean-pied-de-port/kaserna

Last edited:
Hi Domigee,
I've sent an e-mail to Auberge du Pelarin so we'll see if they have any room otherwise I'll try Kaserna, thanks for the post.............

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Hey Lyndie Lou,

I arrive in SJPDP May 15 and a couple of weeks ago I booked and paid online for a bed at the Gite Ultreia.
I later on emailed them to ask if they had received my reservation and payment, they responded confirming this but to contact them a few days before arrival just to confirm.
So far, my dealings with them have been good :)

Buen Camino!
Sadly they're full but thanks so much for the input ..........

Hi Domigee,
I've sent an e-mail to Auberge du Pelarin so we'll see if they have any room otherwise I'll try Kaserna, thanks for the post.............
You're welcome, and don't worry, it'll be alright on the day. Buen camino.

I stayed at L'Esprit, and although the accommodations were wonderful, I wished that I had booked a private room in order to get some rest following an all night flight and bus ride. A world champion snorer kept me from getting any sleep, so it was a tough start to have to get up and cross the pyranees.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I stayed at L'Esprit, and although the accommodations were wonderful, I wished that I had booked a private room in order to get some rest following an all night flight and bus ride. A world champion snorer kept me from getting any sleep, so it was a tough start to have to get up and cross the pyranees.
That's just what we're hoping for, my husband and I are 66 and 67 respectively and I think we'll need all the sleep we can get before setting out!!! (especially have flown from South Africa)......... Here's hoping we find what we need otherwise it's a hotel for us, I think we simply wanted to start the experience in the company of other pilgrims!

Maison Kaserna which is the parish albergue in SJPdP does NOT accept reservations and has space for only 10 pilgrims.

MM

I've stayed at both l'Esprit du Chemin and Auberge du Pélerin and wouldn't hesitate to recommend either of them.

My stay at the latter came about because l'Esprit du Chemin had no vacancies and I was at first disappointed to have to stay elsewhere. My disappointment didn't last long and, though Auberge du Pélerin is more expensive than l'Esprit du Chemin, it is a toss-up which would be my choice the next time I'm in Saint-Jean-Pied-de-Port.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I tried booking in SJPDP and found many places fully booked for 15th May so best to book a place if you wish to

You're so right Larry it certainly seems better to book beforehand as May is really busy, we're needing accommodation for the 17th and 18th and I've not had any luck this far, but will keep plodding along................

Have a look at below for SJPDP

> On 16 Feb 2014, at 9:10 pm, gitecompostella@sfr.fr wrote:
>
> Hello,
>
> We have received your mail but unfortunately we can' welcome you at the Gite Compostella because it is full. Yet, we have some disponibilities in our guest house ( 24 rue de la citadelle, in the town center, in the old town at 80 metres of the office of the pilgrims) and you can have a room for you and your wife for the price of 30€uros for the night for both. If you want, you can have the breakfast for 4€uros per/person.
>
> If you are interested in our proposition, thank you to confirm it.
>
> Kind regards
>
> Gite Compostella
>
>
>
> ========================================
>
> Message du : 16/02/2014 07:20
> De : aulaph@hotmail.com
> A : gitecompostella@sfr.fr
> Copie à :
> Sujet : Message de http://gitecompostella.jimdo.com/contact/
>
>
> Bonjour,
>
> vous avez recu un message sur votre site.
> Le message a été envoyé depuis la page http://gitecompostella.jimdo.com/contact/ .
> Si vous ne souhaitez plus recevoir d'email avec des messages du formulaire de contact à cette adresse, connectez-vous à votre site Jimdo, cliquez sur le formulaire de contact et modifiez votre adresse email dans le champ de modification.
>
> Les données suivantes ont été transmises :
> -------------------------------------
> Nom: Larry Phillips
>
> Adresse e-mail: aulaph@hotmail.com
>
> Numéro de téléphone: +61425242772
>
> Message: We would like to book a room for 2 persons (husband and wife) on the 15th May 2014 as we arrive by train at 19.31 from Paris.
> Could you advise if we can book a room with you and the cost
> Regards
> Larry Phillips
> Australia
>
>

A few years ago we were delayed in SJPDP for 2 nights when injury hit walking the Le Puy. We stayed in a really luxurious chambre d'hotes (B&B) up near the Citadel. It was expensive (comparable to a hotel) but there are lots of others that are cheaper. There are plenty of places to eat in St Jean - you don't need to book dinner anywhere.
I think we found it through Gites de France, or one of the other on-line booking services.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I just tried Trip Advisor for SJPDP searching specifically for B&Bs and lots came up.

How big is SJPDP?? - my route to the start is Kathmandu to Paris, then I'm going take a train directly from the Airport (CDG) to Bayonne and stay the night there as I figure I will be quite tired :)
Next day I'll take a train from Bayonne to SJPDP - can I just walk from the station into town and find my accommodation, or will I need a Taxi?....I suppose that depends on where I stay, but is SJPDP a walkable town?

Any recommendations for a place to stay in Bayonne for the night??

Thanks if you can help me out.

Any recommendations for a place to stay in Bayonne for the night??

I got into Bayonne late and stayed directly opposite the train station at hotel Cote Basque - and it was fine

http://www.hotel-cotebasque.fr/

I think I got it for around €40 but I see they quote €60 and upwards on their website - suggest you look at Expedia / booking.com etc for better rates

Buen Camino

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Have a look at below for SJPDP

> On 16 Feb 2014, at 9:10 pm, gitecompostella@sfr.fr wrote:
>
> Hello,
>
> We have received your mail but unfortunately we can' welcome you at the Gite Compostella because it is full. Yet, we have some disponibilities in our guest house ( 24 rue de la citadelle, in the town center, in the old town at 80 metres of the office of the pilgrims) and you can have a room for you and your wife for the price of 30€uros for the night for both. If you want, you can have the breakfast for 4€uros per/person.
>
> If you are interested in our proposition, thank you to confirm it.
>
> Kind regards
>
> Gite Compostella
>
>
>
> ========================================
>
> Message du : 16/02/2014 07:20
> De : aulaph@hotmail.com
> A : gitecompostella@sfr.fr
> Copie à :
> Sujet : Message de http://gitecompostella.jimdo.com/contact/
>
>
> Bonjour,
>
> vous avez recu un message sur votre site.
> Le message a été envoyé depuis la page http://gitecompostella.jimdo.com/contact/ .
> Si vous ne souhaitez plus recevoir d'email avec des messages du formulaire de contact à cette adresse, connectez-vous à votre site Jimdo, cliquez sur le formulaire de contact et modifiez votre adresse email dans le champ de modification.
>
> Les données suivantes ont été transmises :
> -------------------------------------
> Nom: Larry Phillips
>
> Adresse e-mail: aulaph@hotmail.com
>
> Numéro de téléphone: +61425242772
>
> Message: We would like to book a room for 2 persons (husband and wife) on the 15th May 2014 as we arrive by train at 19.31 from Paris.
> Could you advise if we can book a room with you and the cost
> Regards
> Larry Phillips
> Australia
>
>
Hi again Larry,

We've e-mailed the Gite in the hope that they will be able to accommodate us. We'll be hot on your heels as we arrive in SJPDP on Saturday the 17th and start our walk on the 19th, spending the 1st "Camino" night at Orisson so we might well meet somewhere along the way.
Thanks so much for all your help, travel safely and Buen Camino.
Regards,
Lyn

Lyndie Lou,

Buen Camino,

Margaret Meredith

Do you also happen to know when the pilgrim office closes? I am meeting my husband in Pamplona on May 23 and going that afternoon from Pamplona to SJPdP. We should arrive by 6pm but that is if all goes according to plan. This is our first Camino and I didn't know there would be such a crunch for space in St. Jean. I thought I'd look on the list, select, walk there and get two beds. I'm guessing now that doesn't happen! Your comments are appreciated.

In the past during the season the office for the Amis du Chemin de Saint Jacques at 39 rue de la Citadelle has stayed open for the arrival of the last train and was open from 7h30 to 12h30 and then from 13h30 to 22h. Their telephone is 05 59 37 05 09.

MM

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hi Lyndee Lou,

Your questions and concerns are familiar to me, as I had some of the same questions and concerns before I departed the USA for St. Jean on February 7. I tended to plan trips in detail, leaving little to chance -- in hopes I would then be able to relax and enjoy the journey, the experience.

I don't mean this in a sarcastic or dismissive way. Planning every little detail was my way of doing things.

... and then my camino began ... and changed my way of doing things.

My days became simple: clean and prepare my feet, start walking, stop to rest when my body signaled it was time, take every opportunity I found to greet and engage people in conversation ... day after day. My need to plan every detail lessened, then disappeared.

That is not to say that I left all to chance. I carried with me an iPhone, which provided me basic Google Maps (which helped me find my way off cow trails after becoming lost between Portomarin and Palas de Rei), Google Translate (which helped me communicate my questions, needs, and compliments to people who spoke at least six other languages), and Booking.com (linked to this forum, which helped me find lodging when I needed to stop where an albergue as not available or was undesirable on a given night).

The Way is well traveled (has been by millions of pilgrims) and it would be difficult to find oneself in trouble -- as long as one does not ignore the weather or one's physical condition.

I walked in February and early March, when many towns appeared vacant and facilities were few and far between -- and yet I never had trouble finding a safe, clean place to sleep or eat.

The pilgrim office in St. Jean will provide with your credential a list of albergues that are open when you walk. Plot the locations on the topographical profile they also provide, and note the towns where no albergues are open (fewer for you than me). This forum provides a link to hotels along the Camino Frances, through booking.com, which was extremely easy to use with my iPhone.

You should be fine. Try not to worry (too much) about your camino. The Way is well known and populated by many people who look out for pilgrims. Listen to your body (mostly your feet), pay attention to the waymarks (mostly yellow arrows, stacks of stones, or shells), and be aware of distances, and the walk should be relatively easy.

Good luck and Buen Camino.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Hi Lyndee Lou,

Your questions and concerns are familiar to me, as I had some of the same questions and concerns before I departed the USA for St. Jean on February 7. I tended to plan trips in detail, leaving little to chance -- in hopes I would then be able to relax and enjoy the journey, the experience.

I don't mean this in a sarcastic or dismissive way. Planning every little detail was my way of doing things.

... and then my camino began ... and changed my way of doing things.

My days became simple: clean and prepare my feet, start walking, stop to rest when my body signaled it was time, take every opportunity I found to greet and engage people in conversation ... day after day. My need to plan every detail lessened, then disappeared.

That is not to say that I left all to chance. I carried with me an iPhone, which provided me basic Google Maps (which helped me find my way off cow trails after becoming lost between Portomarin and Palas de Rei), Google Translate (which helped me communicate my questions, needs, and compliments to people who spoke at least six other languages), and Booking.com (linked to this forum, which helped me find lodging when I needed to stop where an albergue as not available or was undesirable on a given night).

The Way is well traveled (has been by millions of pilgrims) and it would be difficult to find oneself in trouble -- as long as one does not ignore the weather or one's physical condition.

I walked in February and early March, when many towns appeared vacant and facilities were few and far between -- and yet I never had trouble finding a safe, clean place to sleep or eat.

The pilgrim office in St. Jean will provide with your credential a list of albergues that are open when you walk. Plot the locations on the topographical profile they also provide, and note the towns where no albergues are open (fewer for you than me). This forum provides a link to hotels along the Camino Frances, through booking.com, which was extremely easy to use with my iPhone.

You should be fine. Try not to worry (too much) about your camino. The Way is well known and populated by many people who look out for pilgrims. Listen to your body (mostly your feet), pay attention to the waymarks (mostly yellow arrows, stacks of stones, or shells), and be aware of distances, and the walk should be relatively easy.

Good luck and Buen Camino.

Thank you very much for your lovely letter which makes so much sense to us........ We're leaving ourselves very open to the experiences that come our way, but felt it safer to book for our 1st 2 nights in SJPDP (as we arrive late on the 17th of May) and then at Orisson as we will definitely start slowly and take 2 days to reach Roncevalles where we have also booked a room. From that point onwards we're leaving ourselves free to make choices of where and when to stop according to our bodies needs. (we are 66 and 67 respectively and don't want to risk injury and spoil this amazing opportunity)!

I really can't wait for this magnificent experience to start, so roll on mid-May when we leave South Africa.

Thanks for your advice, we value all the input we're getting from more experienced pilgrims.

Kind regards,

Lyn and Ron Sherman

I think you are wise to book reservations for at least the first few nights.

The Booking.com site allowed penalty-free cancellations for some properties, which can be allow "added insurance" if you are unsure whether you can walk a given distance (or circumstances change in route).

While I have travelled abroad, I had no need before this, my first, camino for a pharmacy, and quickly learned to look for the green illuminated cross. All the pharmacists I encountered spoke enough English that they could provide what I needed, from ibuprofen to a pair of forearm crutches (after I came up lame with shin splints).

Perhaps it will be different when you walk, but stores in small towns were closed on Sunday in February and early March, which led me to purchase needed items on Saturdays.

I envy you making your camino together.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hi again everyone,
Thanks for ALL the advice re our accommodation issue, we've managed to get a booking for 2 nights in Auberge du Pelerin so are relaxed, happy and very excited at meeting other pilgrims on the nights of the 17th and 18th of May. We really appreciate the helpful responses we received so thank you each and every one of you who took the time to comment, what a brilliant forum this is!
It's my turn now to say with great joy. Buen Camino to all pilgrims past and present!

So pleased Lyndie Lou. It's great to know you have a reliable bed in a far off town. I'm booked in the same Auberge in late April.
Buen Camino.
Annie

Good to hear you have reserved the Auberge du Pèlerin. That was my 1st night last Spring, April 28th, 2013 and I found it well-located, clean, very fun and the welcome dinner was a great way to launch. Buen Camino!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

I have booked here as well, they were the first to respond to my emails

I booked Auberge du Pèlerin through their website. Although the payment went through, they claim they did not receive anything. After several follow-ups, they said they will hold a place for me. In the mean time we will sort out the banking issues.

Most read last week in this forum

A message has just been posted on the Facebook account of the albergue in Roncesvalles. It seems the combination of pilgrim numbers beyond their capacity and poor weather has made this a difficult...
Hello everyone, This is a cry for help. I post this on behalf of my wife, who is walking the camino at the moment. Her backpack was taken away from the reception of the albergue Benedictina's...
I’m on the Camino Frances since April 4. I just finished the Meseta and it feels unpleasantly busy and has since the beginning. No time time to smell the roses or draw much. There is a sense from...
The group running the albergue in the ruins of the San Anton monastery near Castrojeriz have announced that the albergue and the ruins will be closed from 1 May until the ruins have been made...
Hello, I'll be starting the Camino soon and there's one bit of it that worries me. The descent from Collado de Lepoeder to Roncesvalles seems quite steep (according to the Wise Pilgrim app) which...
We are in SJPP today While we were standing in line today, one of my pilgrims met 3 people from Taiwan, who could not find a bed. He said he also saw several people on their phones, frantically...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back