• Remove ads on the forum by becoming a donating member. More here.
  • 20% off everything Altus the next few days at the Camino Forum Store. More here. (Discount taken at check out)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Here I am!

mamteabo

Time of past OR future Camino
'23 Family-Camino: Astorga-SdC-Finisterre
My name is Denise and I am from Germany. I wanted to walk the Camino with a friend of mine in april. I just graduated from university last week and due to the fact I don't have a job yet we have to postpone it to september.

I managed two exhibitions about a german medieval knight (Arnold von Harff) who made a pilgrimage to the great sanctuaries of his days (Rome, Jerusalem, Santiago de Compostela). Although I learned a lot of things about pilgrimage and the Camino frances I never thought about going the way by myself. Then I got to know this man who I call a good friend and kind of a soulmate and whilst we had our first phone call ever, we decided to walk this way together.

Now, there's the plan and here I am. I am very happy I found this forum and virtual albergue, you all seem to be very nice and informative. Right after christmas I'll buy my shoes and intensify my workout. Unfortunatly I have problems with my sciatic nerve right now so I have to take care and relax and can't do much walking. But my time will come. :)

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Thanks for your nice words and for welcoming me.

JohnnieWalker said:
Hi Geraldine

Sorry, but this is really funny. There seems to be an international problem with my nickname. :D
So many people insert the L, no matter if they're dutch, american, chinese, british, german... :mrgreen:

Goodevening Geraldine!
As you see many users of this forum made you feel welcome! This is the beginning of your camino, as it is for me! Thinking of walking is followed by planning, is folllowed by doing it!
Happy holidays Geraldine!

Frohe weihnachten und ein guten rutsch ins neuen!

Many greetings from Hedwig.

To late I have written your name also with a L. Sorry!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
No big deal, just funny. :mrgreen:

@Hedwig: Dank u wel beste buur. Als geen Duitse hier is ben ik gelukkig dat met een Nederlander iemand uit mijn nabijheid hier is. Woah, it's been a while since I had my last dutch-lesson. ;)

My Camino started when I met the friend I will walk with 5 months ago. It has been a conversation, then a dream, a plan and now it's growing and growing and I know this will be the most impressive, thoughtful, intense and spiritual time of my life. I couldn't walk with somebody or other, I know that this friend is the right partner for this adventure and that I had to wait for him to become a pilgrim.

I am really glad I found you people - the Camino is already on my mind most of the time, so I am happy to have someone to chat with.

Happy holidays to you all.
May you all have a delighted and merry christmas and a good start into a wonderful and blessed 2010!

Hello Geradine,
As you have seen they all speak english on this forum! So no need to take lessons in Dutch. This was already enough, but very good!
I can relate to what you are saying. this forum keeps you thinking about this great adventure, even when you are at work.
I am planning my camino in 2011. April - May, from Burgos to Santiago.
And this forum keeps you in touch with those who have the same goal. Because people aroundyou in daily live do not understand always what this walking is all about.
Vielen gruessen hedwig.

Hi Geradine [without the L!] and welcome to the Forum :) .
I hope you really enjoy your planning and the anticipation that each stage of the planning brings. As you say, your camino has begun, may it all be fruitful and enjoyable.
Buen Camino,
Brendan

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
welcome geradine!
My husband´s having trouble with his sciatic nerve as well. The local Curandero told him to eat lots of dark green leafy veg -- spinach, chard, broccoli, etc., and to sit in chairs that are hard and upright. And it is working! Perhaps you can give it a try. It can´t hurt you.

Hope to see you on the trail!
Rebekah

Hi Geradine

Welcome to the forum and your future camino. This is a friendly site and you can even get medical tips- you can't beat that! Tell us how you get on with your sciatic nerve near the time of your camino...

Tschuss! :arrow:

I have been using MBT (Masai Barefoot Technology) shoes for knee pain, and they seem to be working. They also claim some benefits for sciatica. They are expensive, so experimenting with them will be expensive. Here is what they say about MBT shoes and sciatica:

20. Will the MBT shoes cure my sciatica?

Answer Over 70% of people in developed countries will experience low back pain at sometime in their lives. It is most common between the ages of 35-55 years.

Pain is non-specific in 85% of people. Only 1-3% of individuals with low back pain actually have a prolapsed inter vertebral disc. Symptoms, pathology and radiological appearances are poorly correlated. Acute low back pain is usually self-limiting and the majority of people will have recovered within 6 week. Activity speeds symptomatic recovery, reduces chronic disability and leads to less time off work than bed rest or usual care. MBTs also affect the angle of the trunk relative to the pelvis; this causes the lower back to load optimally through the pelvis and hips, rather than the forward lean individuals have with conventional footwear. MBTs also cause some activation of the limbo-sacral musculature, which also helps to strengthen the lower back and aid recovery.

In summary MBT shoes will not cure sciatica, there is no known cure. MBTs should however, be seen as a tool which may help to resolve the pain associated with the condition. Obviously if back pain persists then an individual should see their doctor to rule out more serious conditions such as infection, tumor, fracture, inflammation, osteoporosis or rheumatoid arthritis.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Thanks for the tip, I've seen these shoes before in some shops.
My problems seems to have occurred because of a lopsided backbone caused by a minimal shorter left leg. I've got an orthopaedic arch support which helps very good.

But thanks anyway!

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings fellow travelers, I am hoping to do my first international trip at 57 and solo to walk the Camino Primitivo in mid-July. I want to book the trip through either Santiago Ways or Camino...
Hello, my name is Wendy and I walked the Camino Primitivo in September 2022 and I’m planning to walk the full Camino Portugues from Lisbon to Santiago beginning September 7, 2024, in honor of my...
I'll be volunteering in Santiago July 01- July 15 this year with the Camino Companions who offer services for the English speaking pilgrims, announcements at mass, English Mass at the Pilgrim's...
Hello! I and my friend Cecilia will walk Camino Ingles with start 4th of October. We are so excited to our first but not last Camino. Buen Camino to all of you.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.