• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Hi from New Zealand

KiwiNomad06

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Le Puy-Santiago(2008) Cluny-Conques+prt CF(2012)
Hi! I am from New Zealand and am hoping to leave home in about a year from now, and head to Le Puy to start the Camino from there. I am not sure how far I will try to go on one trip though. Perhaps to Roncevalles.
I look forward to hearing a lot more from people over the next year on this forum.

Guides that will let you complete the journey your way.
Ticket booked for April 2008. Oh what glee! I am flying Singapore Airlines... have a couple of days rest to get over some jetlag in Singapore, then arrive in Paris on 8 April. Expect to start walking the Camino from Le Puy about 13 April. Yeehaa!
Margaret

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
If I can get to at least Roncesvalles I will be happy. I don't intend to go fast, and won't mind of it takes me eight weeks to get that far. I will just take it as it comes, and see how I go. My full-time job finishes here in six weeks anyhow (which leaves me plenty of time to 'train' through summer here before I leave) so I don't need to rush back.
Margaret

Hi kiwinomad,

You may be interested in viewing the video made by a kiwi family, they had three generations doing the Camino at various times. One daughter intends to do the Camino in April 2008. http://youtube.com/watch?v=kLlQzkTfZu0.

This is a lovely video accompanied by a song composed and sung by the pilgrim. This was posted a couple of weeks ago. There is a confraternity in OZ but we are tapping you to start one in NZ, hope you will be inspired after your camino to consider this.
Cheers
Grandpa Joe

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Kelly, I won't feel any guilt if I only walk 12-15km some days ;-)
That was a wonderful video Grandpa Joe.... am going to share it on my blog too.
Margaret

Hi Margaret (in a different context)!
Regarding how far one walks each day; my lower record was approx 7 kms from Cacabelos to Villafranca del Bierzo! I was lucky,in the final kms, to be able to make Cacabelos from Molinaseca because of the pain in the shin on the final kms, so the following day, a short day to Villafranca was a bonus.
Regsrds,
Brendan

Few refuges turn pilgrims away but in Galicia there were two that would not accept pilgrims who had walked 15kms or less.
I have found that 'time on feet' was more important than distance covered. Some short distances might take longer (going up to O'Cebrerio) whilst a longer distance (on the flat plains of the Meseta) could take less time.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Aside from daily distances walked, it's important to travel as light as possible. Aim for a pack weight of 10 kilos (20 pounds) or less. In April you should be fine with a compact summer weight sleeping bag. Get a silk liner if you can afford it - it adds warmth while still being very light and compact (smaller than your fist when packed) and can be used alone if you hit any hot weather. Most of the hostels supply blankets.

Most read last week in this forum

I am 29 doing the Frances by myself starting in SJPdP next week. I didn’t realize this was a busiest time to do the Frances so I am really nervous about the bed race. I don’t mind socializing or...
Hi, can I get second hand poles from Casa Ivar? Happy to make donation. Walking from Santiago to Muxia, then the Primitivo. Will return them when done.....thanks
New user here. Hello to you all. New to the forum but not to the Camino. I was told about this Forum whilst I walking the lovely scenic 'Camino Norte'. I'm planning walking another in June.
Hi, A couple years ago I flew into Geneva and took a train to Laussane to begin my Francigena. Next year I would like to fly into Geneva and walk the south side - France into Aigle, Switzerland...
Hi forum friends, I've been reading lots of posts on here to prepare for my first Camino: May 11th to 16th, central Portuguese way starting from the portuguese border to Tui Spain As a solo female...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.