• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Hi! I'm Dani :) I start in 2 days! And I have a question!

danigondacamino

Time of past OR future Camino
August 2023
Hello all, I have been reading some threads here and there as I (kind of) prepare for my first Camino, the French Way.

I start in 2 days from SJPP.

I see a lot of people asking many questions in preparation for their walk.

To be honest, I feel unprepared and I also feel like that is perfect for me.

I am a reasonably fit 29 year old woman who walks most days. However, I have been travelling through Europe for the last month having a rather indulgent time and I would say my body is not really how I expected her to be before starting the Camino! Haha!

I have had some anxiety about this...and today after a big journal session, I decided its all perfect! It's the medicine I need!

But one thing I have come across a lot in the threads is about accomodation and booking in advance.

I don't have a desire to do this. I'd like to have my phone off as much as possible and walk the walk old school.

But tonight as I was reading through the threads about accomodation booking out, I thought I best check in SJPP if there would be some accomodation available for the next 2 nights. Bookings.com says there is nothing left.

I'm wondering if this is really the case? Or would there be places who are not advertising that I could walk into?

I'm curious if there are people who have recently walked the Camino the French way and did so without pre-booking accomodation. Do you think it will be okay over August and September?

Thank you for taking the time to read this and any advice you have to share.

:) Dani

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Booking.com does not have access to all available beds/rooms, so don't worry that they show no availability. The municipal hostel in SJPdP does not accept reservations at all, and there is another in town that only accepts them a day ahead. You can find these accommodations in Gronze.com.

Hi and welcome here on this forum!

This website gives you decent information. Also for those places not on a bookingsite.

All the best!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hello all, I have been reading some threads here and there as I (kind of) prepare for my first Camino, the French Way.

I am a reasonably fit 29 year old woman who walks most days. However, I have been travelling through Europe for the last month having a rather indulgent time and I would say my body is not really how I expected her to be before starting the Camino! Haha!

I have had some anxiety about this...and today after a big journal session, I decided its all perfect! It's the medicine I need!

But one thing I have come across a lot in the threads is about accomodation and booking in advance.

I don't have a desire to do this. I'd like to have my phone off as much as possible and walk the walk old school.

But tonight as I was reading through the threads about accomodation booking out, I thought I best check in SJPP if there would be some accomodation available for the next 2 nights. Bookings.com says there is nothing left.

I'm wondering if this is really the case? Or would there be places who are not advertising that I could walk into?

I'm curious if there are people who have recently walked the Camino the French way and did so without pre-booking accomodation. Do you think it will be okay over August and September?

Thank you for taking ( the time to read this and any advice you have to share.

Download the Wise Pilgrim app for Camino Frances. (there are others too, but that app is the best IMHO). If you want to reserve a bed, do it directly. No booking site has ALL beds available to them.

Welcome to the Forum and Buen Camino: Have no fear: It is MUCH easier than you think.

Welcome to the forum!

Certain cities along the Camino have many visitors during the summer - especially on weekends - so reservable rooms may be few in number. That could apply to St Jean Pied de Port. Others have given you some good information above to help with that.

The system of albergues tends not to be very busy along the route in August until you reach Sarria. (That information seems to be easily missed amidst all the posts about unavailability mainly of private rooms at certain choke points.) By Sarria, you will be quite familiar with how things work and can decide what approach will work best for you. Staying "off stage" may be all you need to do.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
The system of albergues tends not to be very busy along the route in August until you reach Sarria. (That information seems to be easily missed amidst all the posts about unavailability mainly of private rooms at certain choke points.)
Are you sure? I don't mean that in a derogatory way, just that I was planning a camino for May-July next year, but other factors have me needing to consider an August start instead. My only objection to walking then was that albergues would be full of Europeans who have holidays at that time. I would be delighted to be told I have that wrong!

Are you sure?
Pretty sure. @trecile has posted a number of times with statistics, so perhaps she'll answer here soon. It is worth looking at this thread, as a starting point. The "crowds" and generalizations about them can be very misleading. From what I've heard, an August start on the eastern end of the Camino Frances would be good, from the perspective of pilgrim numbers. Heat is another issue entirely.

On the Norte, the situation could be different as it is more of a holiday destination.

Are you sure? I don't mean that in a derogatory way, just that I was planning a camino for May-July next year, but other factors have me needing to consider an August start instead. My only objection to walking then was that albergues would be full of Europeans who have holidays at that time. I would be delighted to be told I have that wrong!
I did some PQD calculations on this recently, and presented the results of the simple analysis here. While it only deals with departures from SJPP and Sarria, it is clear that for most of the CF, the peak of departures from SJPP is in May, which should mean that up to Sarria, there should be accommodation available, even if finding it is still a problem. After Sarria, August appears to be the busiest departure month.

*PQD - pretty quick and dirty

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Booking.com predominantly shows private rooms in private establishments. So if one asks for twin beds in one room, it may show no availability. But there may be two beds available in a room for eight persons. Private, single room accommodations will likely be difficult to find if there is already no availability on booking. However, common room accommodations should be easier to find. Hopefully you can arrive early enough in the day to get settled somewhere.

Pretty sure. @trecile has posted a number of times with statistics, so perhaps she'll answer here soon. It is worth looking at this thread, as a starting point. The "crowds" and generalizations about them can be very misleading. From what I've heard, an August start on the eastern end of the Camino Frances would be good, from the perspective of pilgrim numbers. Heat is another issue entirely.

On the Norte, the situation could be different as it is more of a holiday destination.
Thank you. Heat was originally an objection, but then I decided I actually don't mind walking when it's hot and it does not get hot on the Frances in the same way it does further south. I would not start the Via de la Plata in August! The advantage of heat is that clothes dry quickly.

Thank you for taking the time to read this and any advice you have to share.

Hi Dani, you will be fine... lots of great advice coming in above... Buen Camino

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi Dani
Good question. Many newbies will be similarly ‘put off’ by what they think is non availability of accommodation on booking . Com etc sites. Most of the those on ‘spain holiday dates’ will more than likely be ahead of you (if you are starting in SJPdP) .. The other sites listed above are very helpful and Gronze.com is a great standby -it lists places enroute that many pilgrims use and gives indicative pricing for same. (Not exact all the time but is kept updated ). It also shows whether accom is dorm type or private etc. Drill down into each and get direct contact information where possible, and try to deal directly with the accommodation. Using ‘WhatsApp’ for contact is a good app for doing this in spain.

Buen camino.

I walked the CF in 2019 and the CP just 4 weeks ago (18. - 28.07.) and on both walks I just did book ahead one single accomodation, just to be sure, that I will stay in this special Albergue.

Especially on the CF there is no need to book ahead, if you are open to any type of Albergue.
2019 I was turned away on two occasions and I walked literally to the next door to get a bed for the night.
It's part of the "adventure" not to know, where you will rest on the evening.

HTH
Roland

Hi Dani,

Most of the best advice has already been given. I will just tack on two bits about Gronze.com, recommended several times above.
1. Don't be put off by the fact that it is exclusively in Spanish. The Spanish tends to be simple and repetitive so if you have any interest in Spanish you will soon figure out what everything means. If you don't, you can use your Chrome browser to translate for you automatically. (Safari may do so, too. I don't have an iPhone to check.)

2. Pages for stages automatically open on the "Albergues" tab. But do check out the "Al Loro" tab for each stage to for handy tips.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi, can I get second hand poles from Casa Ivar? Happy to make donation. Walking from Santiago to Muxia, then the Primitivo. Will return them when done.....thanks
New user here. Hello to you all. New to the forum but not to the Camino. I was told about this Forum whilst I walking the lovely scenic 'Camino Norte'. I'm planning walking another in June.
Hi, A couple years ago I flew into Geneva and took a train to Laussane to begin my Francigena. Next year I would like to fly into Geneva and walk the south side - France into Aigle, Switzerland...
I am 29 doing the Frances by myself starting in SJPdP next week. I didn’t realize this was a busiest time to do the Frances so I am really nervous about the bed race. I don’t mind socializing or...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back