• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Hostel availability

karlykarl

I'm presently walking the camino de Santiago , from Le Puy to st Jacques. I've found that a lot of the hostels en route are closed, especially at the weekends. The season seems to start on the 15th march, and before this date most places are closed or have limited availability. Weekends are the most difficult, and there's a lot of snow above 900 mtrs. I've had a few days where I've been up to my knees in snow. So please be aware of the situation. The weather below 900 mtrs, is amazing , the scenery beautiful, and it's nice and warm. As a matter of caution, only pack essential requirements, as your pack gets heavier as you go along. I started with a tent but after waking up in -4 and my tent covered in snow, I ditched it, and decided to rely on hostels. I've come across a few closed ones, and had to opt for the nearest hotel. The charges are sometimes quite high, especially if on a budget like me. Most hotels are a minimum of 50 euros, food if eating out costs around 12-20 euros. A lot of cafés offer a menu du jour , 3 courses including coffee for 12 euros. Food elsewhere is around 20 euros a meal. I was charged 33 euros at one gite, but it included breakfast, washing facilities, and an evening meal en famile. My best stop so far.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I'd add that making a reservation a day before you arrive is kind of mandatory in France. "Le randonnage" (trekking) is a very popular activity. And sometimes there are clubs of "randonneurs" who occupy almost all the places in a "gite" (albergue) or hostel.
Ah, walking in France in March...so beautiful, so lonely. Maybe next year...
Buen camino, karlykarl.

And may I suggest that when you pay for your gites in France, you ask for a receipt each time?
We were requested to pay twice at one place, and luckily, another pilgrim saw us pay the first time, and stood ground with us.
The hospitalera/owner had INSISTED that we had not paid.
From that point on, I asked for a receipt and danged if that didn't happen a second time -
If you don't want to carry the paper, you can take a photo of the receipt with camera or phone.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I'm presently walking the camino de Santiago , from Le Puy to st Jacques. I've found that a lot of the hostels en route are closed, especially at the weekends. The season seems to start on the 15th march, and before this date most places are closed or have limited availability. Weekends are the most difficult, and there's a lot of snow above 900 mtrs. I've had a few days where I've been up to my knees in snow. So please be aware of the situation. The weather below 900 mtrs, is amazing , the scenery beautiful, and it's nice and warm. As a matter of caution, only pack essential requirements, as your pack gets heavier as you go along. I started with a tent but after waking up in -4 and my tent covered in snow, I ditched it, and decided to rely on hostels. I've come across a few closed ones, and had to opt for the nearest hotel. The charges are sometimes quite high, especially if on a budget like me. Most hotels are a minimum of 50 euros, food if eating out costs around 12-20 euros. A lot of cafés offer a menu du jour , 3 courses including coffee for 12 euros. Food elsewhere is around 20 euros a meal. I was charged 33 euros at one gite, but it included breakfast, washing facilities, and an evening meal en famile. My best stop so far.
Hello Annie,

I m walking too. Where are you up to at present. I walked thru sauvage this afternoon. The weather wasn't too good.

Lots of places closed!

Most read last week in this forum

Hi. I walked from Le Puy to Conques last October. I'm planning to resume in a couple of weeks with the aim of getting to Roncesvalles (or as far as I can). My pilgrim credential is half full with...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back