How many times have Veteran walkers walked the Camino?

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.

fraluchi

RIP 2019
Dec 24, 2007
Costa Rica
www.gumbolimbo.net
Time of past OR future Camino
One every year since 2007
yellowshoes55 said:
...how many times have some of the veterans walked the Camino de Santiago. Which time did you enjoy the most? Did you walk each time from SJPP to Santiago?
What was the weather like each time??
1. Amply justified 5 Compostelas :lol:
2. Best time autumn 2011 (particularly in the Rioja) :shock:
3. Never started in SJPP :oops: (but several times from Roncesvalles)
4. Weather conditions ranged between bloody hot, quite hot, mildly hot, nice, fresh, cold, bloody cold, clear skies, fog, drizzle, some rain, a lot of rain, floods. Missed snow and/or ice. 8)
Ultreya :!:

tyrrek

Veteran Member
Jun 17, 2011
Halifax, West Yorkshire, UK
SJPP-SdC (4-5/2011), Ferrol-SdC (9/2011), Pamplona-SdC (3-4/2012), Camino Finisterre (10/2012), Ourense-SdC (5/2014)
Hi!

Only one Camino Frances from SJPP and the other from Pamplona. One Camino Ingles and one Finisterre. Also spent a week each of the last 2 years on the Meseta clearing litter.

December on the Meseta is beautiful, crisp and sometimes misty. On the hills it would be more difficult.

Spring is lovely on the Frances, but you have to be prepared for anything and mornings or evenings can be chilly.

I've only walked in Galicia in autumn and on one occasion it was nice, on the other it was a 3 day monsoon! Be prepared!

Buen Camino!

p.s. The first one is the best. :D

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
D

Deleted member 12253

Walk camino Francis 5 times, started each in sjpdep and 32 days to Santiago , no problems, just walk shower, eat sleep, total bliss, walk camino finisterre and Musial 2 times and Musial to finisterre once. No rest days, walked in may/ June, no rain except bit of drizzle one day, September soaked one day Samos to sarria. Next Porto to Santiago April 2013 and Lourdes to Pamplona sept 2013.

nreyn12

Jan 17, 2009
Spain & San Francisco Bay Area
www.thecaminoexperience.com
Walked (2005) (2007) (2008) (2009) (2010) (2011) (2012) (2013) (2014) (2015); Guide 2013-2016
I have been to the Camino Frances eight times, starting in Saint Jean Pied de Port (4 times), Roncesvalles, Pamplona, Burgos, and Ponferrada. I walked every step of the way the time I started in Roncesvalles, and the other times have ranged from one to three weeks each.

My favorite walk was the time I started in Ponferrada. I was able to walk the entire way with the same group of people. (Because I walk only 20 kms each day, I usually lose my friends before too long.) I also walked to Finesterre on that trip, and that was fantastic.

mspath

Veteran Member
Nov 25, 2009
France
allmycaminos.blogspot.fr
Frances, autumn/winter; 2004, 2005-2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015
Eight times walking all the way from SJPdP via Valcarlos to Santiago. Seven times continued on to Finisterre. Always in autumn and winter. Weather conditions have included glorious sunshine, dense fog, torrential rain with thick mud, bitter cold and heavy snow. Like all my loves each CF has been special.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Nov 1, 2008
Portland, Oregon
www.caminosantiago2.blogspot.com
2006 to date: Over 21 Caminos. See signature line
Camino Frances - 4 times
Once in late Summer (HOT HOT HOT) from Astorga
Twice in Fall (NICE) from SJPP
Once in Spring (WET but BEAUTIFUL) from SJPP
I enjoyed the Spring walk the most

Via de la Plata - 1 time
Summer (HOT AND DANGEROUSLY DRY) from Seville.
I did not finish but moved up to the Frances after about 10 days.
I would like to attempt this route again some day.

Camino Aragones
Once in the Fall (HOT) from Jaca
Once in the Spring (BEAUTIFUL) from Jaca after walking from Lourdes
I enjoyed both and will do this route again this year, hopefully

Norte
Once in the Fall (WET) from Bilbao
I did not finish the route; ran out of time.
I'd like to do this route in the summer

Portuguese
Once in the late Summer (NICE) from Porto
I didn't like the highway walking
I might try this again some day

I have to say my favorite route of all was the route from Lourdes to Pamplona.
I think I enjoyed the Spring walking most, because of the wildflowers, even though there was more rain and it was colder.

I would like also to walk from Barcelona some day.

yellowshoes55

Dec 26, 2012
Camino Portuguese - Porto to Santiago, (2014)
Camino Frances - SJPP to Santiago (2015)
Thoroughly enjoying all your replies. Thanks. Was hoping Annie or Sillydoll would post their experiences.

I am from Australia and we are in our late 50's, early 60's. Hubby & I hope to walk from SJPP to Santiago in Spring either 2014 or 2015. None of my friends have heard of the Camino, let alone walked it.

I have read Annie's blog & am following her packing suggestions to a tee.

You are all to be in awe of. Thank you again for your inspiring replies.

newfydog

Veteran Member
Sep 10, 2009
Bend, Oregon, USA
Pamplona-Santiago, Le Puy- Santiago, Prague- LePuy, Menton- Toulouse, Menton- Rome, Canterbury- Lausanne, Chemin Stevenson, Voie de Vezelay
Just twice on the Frances, but we do a trail about every other year----I think the north half of the Fracigena this year will be pilgimage number 6 or 7.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
D

Deleted member 12253

Re: Lourdes to Pamplona

I am interested in walking lourdes to Pamplona or Lourdes to st. J pde p in mid June this year but finding a route map , information on albergues etc in English impossible, if anyone knows where I could get this information it would be appreciated, my French not good but can get by in spain

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
D

Deleted member 3000

information on albergues etc in English impossible
If you will go to the websites in French and use the Chrome browser, it will automatically translate the pages into English. Most of the pilgrims are French and German on these routes, so guidebooks in English do not exist to my knowledge. The best you will do is to translate internet pages and print them.

Most read last week in this forum

Hello everyone, I’m about to embark on my first Camino this month in a week or so. I had plans to go with a friend but it fell through so now I’m visiting a friend in France until I work up the...
Hello all fellow pilgrims! To celebrate my 70th birthday I'll be following the Frances path from St Jean Pied de Port to Santiago de Compostela. Really excited abut the journey for me starting...
Good evening all! We began our yearly route to Santiago, today! We 4 Peregrinos resumed our Camino at Rabanal del Camino and walked to Acebo. We encountered Snow, Hail Stones and rain. We loved...
June 22 -@Amachant (SJPP)
Hi I'm Keith 60 years young from Newcastle upon Tyne UK.arriving on the 1635 Edinburgh ryanair flight on 9th September 2024 anyone like to share my express bourricot
I loved my 2022 Camino Frances!! Leaving Los Angeles on May 26 for Lisbon. Will walk the Portuguese Costal route and the spiritual variant. Starts from Porto on June 4 and arrive in Santiago on...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides