• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Hybrid Route

OPN1101

Time of past OR future Camino
Summer, 2024 - Frances
As more people discover the Camino, the usual routes will become more crowded. Wanting a more spiritual/meditative pilgrimage, I have charted a more "rustic"/rural (anti-social?) route, but would appreciate feedback. It goes from Bayonne to Irun on the Via de Bayona, switches to the Norte from Irun to Bilbao, then to the Olvidado from Bilbao to Ponferrada, over to the Invierno from Ponferrada to Santiago, and the Camino Fisterra from Santiago to Fisterra

Maps (for stages, not actual routes)
Bayonne to Bilboa
Bilboa to Guardo
Guardo to Labaniego
Labaniego to Rodiero
Rodiero to Fisterra

Last edited:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
A selection of Camino Jewellery
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
This is more along the lines of what I want...more anti-social, if that sounds appropriate. But I look at it as having more of an opportunity to allow oneself to get into a zen/reflective mode while walking. The camino to me looks too 'social'....too 'camino familia' with pilgrims who are overly reliant on the support of others to complete the journey as opposed to allowing themselves to find inner support.

Looks amazing. How has it worked out accommodation wise on the crossovers? Or will you take a tent?
All the crossovers should be seamless. I'm hoping to do this late this year, so I should have some real-life data afterwards. The nice thing is that there isn't a time that you aren't one of the pre-existing Camino routes. Admittedly, the route from Bayonne to Irun and on the Camino Olvidado are lesser used and, therefore, less options for alburges. The "Buen Camino" app has accommodations listed for each place. I just wish the app let me "plan your own Camino" using the database they have.

This is more along the lines of what I want...more anti-social, if that sounds appropriate. But I look at it as having more of an opportunity to allow oneself to get into a zen/reflective mode while walking. The camino to me looks too 'social'....too 'camino familia' with pilgrims who are overly reliant on the support of others to complete the journey as opposed to allowing themselves to find inner support.
Seems to me that it can be a bit of both. Neither strick isolationism or pure socialization are good for me, so my ideal Camino will probably afford me both. I just want to avoid the more tourism-minded pilgrims. Would be quite open to have a few other like-minded companions doing this Camino with me...just not always with me. 🤔😅

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
The camino to me looks too 'social'....too 'camino familia' with pilgrims who are overly reliant on the support of others to complete the journey as opposed to allowing themselves to find inner support.
Indeed, there is much made of finding and walking with a Camino family, and there is that social aspect on the Camino Frances in particular for those that do want to engage in that way. But that is a personal choice, and certainly not how everyone walks. I find it a little easier to walk independently on some of the other routes, so the OP's approach is an interesting proposal.

That said, there is nothing stopping anyone walking the busier routes like the CF or CP from walking in quiet contemplation. Whether one also wants to be anti-social, well that's another matter.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back