• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

I am a new pilgrim...

mommabear5

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino del Norte (May 2013)
who has never traveled alone and I am scared but excited about walking the camino del norte this spring 2013( mid May to June) or Sept-Oct 2013. I am 51 years old and am an avid hiker in the nw of the USA. I really do not have time constraints other than missing my family and wanting to get home. I had a few questions for those who have walked the northern coast.
1. where in Irun do I get my pilgrims passport?
2. Do I need to make overnight reservations for that first night?
3. I love sleeping in my Kammock (hammock) It's a lightweight backpackers hammock. Is this doable on the camino del norte? All I need are two trees or two posts. Would it be safe to sleep outside?
4. I plan to fly into Irun, then fly home from Santiago de Compostela. Is that how most pilgrims do it? Fly into the beginning town and fly home from the ending town?
5. Can I wait to purchase my ticket home until I am there and decide when to head home? Or does this become too big of a hassel.
6. Did many of you take conversational Spanish classes to prepare? If so, did you find it helpful

That's all for now.
Thank you,
April

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Welcome April. We have replied to some of your previous questions, in the Camino del Norte section, on those threads.
Buen Camino
TerryB and Tia Valeria

Ok. thank you, Teri & Tia. But I am new to forums. How do I find those threads?

I searched camino del norte, but did not find my post with my questions.

Will I need to search through that thread looking for topics similar to my questions? Or are my questions answered specifically?
Thank you for your help...
A

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hola April,
If you cannot remember which thread you have posted a question in then use the 'View your posts' link in the pale blue band near the top of each page. It will show you where you have asked questions etc and then you can go to the thread through your own post.
Once you have been on the forum a while you will find it easier to navigate.
Also when you first log back in check out 'New Posts' and your answers may show there.
Happy planning

My best guess on where to get a pilgrims passport in Irun would be from a local catholic church.
I haven't done this in Irun, but I know they were available from the Cathedral in Seville, and from the Catholic church right on the camino in Sarria. Irun should be the same.

You might enjoy checking out the American Society of Pilgrims... http://www.americanpilgrims.com/
They might have a local chapter for you to get in touch with.

Buen Camino,
David, Victoria, Canada.

Most read last week in this forum

On the Camino Del Norte. Surprised by the amount of pilgrims. Many mature pilgrims, like myself with a few Caminos under their belt, mostly appear to be staying in hotels. If staying in hotels be...
Hi I just joined and will be doing a solo walk from SJPP to Finisterre in May Jun 2025... long time to go yet but VV excited ... will be finalising dates and flights from Canberra as soon as...
For those of you who are using the ATM colour chart. One bank is suggested at less than 2 Euro when in fact was 4.50 Euro per withdrawal
Hello Pilgrims, I am Brendan an Australian Scot. I am new to the forum, but not new to the Camino. On Tuesday May 28 I will start on my seventh Camino the Norte from San Sebastián. I will try and...
I am looking for people who want to walk the camino del norte in may 2025 - starting from Irun, Bilbao or another place. Nice to hear from you.
Ciao everyone, just a quick introduction. I'll be starting my Camino from SJPP on June 6th 2024 I've always been curious and for now I'm taking it with a grain of salt and cautious optimism...but...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.