• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Is americanpilgrims.org still functioning?

Sabre36

Time of past OR future Camino
April 27, 2024
This may seem petty since the actual donation cost was minimal, but in February 2024, I sent some money to American Pilgrims (americanpilgrims.org) for two credentials in advance of an April 2024 pilgrimage. Except for the confirmation that the funds were received, I neither received the credentials nor heard back from them (despite pinging them in April).

Is this organization still functioning?

Perhaps this post will help others that attempt to get credentials in advance of their trip.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Yes, it's still functioning. I am a chapter coordinator in Oregon. I am also still waiting for my credential that I ordered in March.

You should have received this email when your order was received:

We process credential requests on a weekly basis, as they are received. If you have not received your credential(s) two weeks before your departure date, please email
credentials@americanpilgrims.org.

I recommend that you send them an email right away.

They posted this message 12 days ago in their Facebook group:

American Pilgrims on the Camino

We understand there have been delays in processing and mailing out credentials to those who requested them. Apologies for the inconvenience. We're on it though, and we're working hard to get everything back on track ASAP. We know many of you are gearing up for your Camino travels this spring, so we're really sorry for any hold-ups. Hang tight, we hope to get this process back on tract very soon.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Yes, it's still functioning. I am a chapter coordinator in Oregon. I am also still waiting for my credential that I ordered in March.

You should have received this email when your order was received:

We process credential requests on a weekly basis, as they are received. If you have not received your credential(s) two weeks before your departure date, please email credentials@americanpilgrims.org.

I recommend that you send them an email right away.
This may seem petty since the actual donation cost was minimal, but in February 2024, I sent some money to American Pilgrims (americanpilgrims.org) for two credentials in advance of an April 2024 pilgrimage. Except for the confirmation that the funds were received, I neither received the credentials nor heard back from them (despite pinging them in April).

Perhaps this post will help others that attempt to get credentials in advance of their trip.
Appreciate the replies and good to know that they are still around. I did contact them a week ago. So, just maybe...

As a chapter coordinator, I just received this morning an email, the text of which follows:

Hello, Chapters!

As we have had many inquiries about the status of credentials, I wanted to make sure that everyone has the information on this issue.

A few weeks ago, the Coaches let me know that there were a flurry of comments on the American Pilgrims on the Camino Facebook group from folks who had requested credentials from American Pilgrims but who had not received them yet.

First, here are a couple of points that are noted when requesting a credential:

• Request your credential at least six weeks before you depart from home and allow three weeks to receive your document.
  • Credentials are available at almost all starting points on the various Caminos if your departure date is within three weeks.
  • Please request a credential only if you are walking or biking within the next 6-12 months.

We discovered some issues that caused the delay, going back to early February requests. We believe the issue should be resolved, and our volunteer who responds to the emails sent to credentials@americanpilgrims.org has been responding to the emails.

Please know that credentials are been sent out, but if the requestor's departure date is too close for the credential to be received in time, our volunteer does provide backup plans of where to get one, such as the Porto Cathedral, St Jean Pied de Port Pilgrim Office ,and other information that may help. Our volunteer responds to email communication if the requestor reaches out. Some envelopes go astray in the mail, and some people may not write in to ask about it. I did ask about those who did not get credentials, and the volunteer let me know that an offer was extended to return a donation if a donation was given.

An acknowledgement of this issue was posted on the American Pilgrims on the Camino Facebook group on April 7 (posted by an admin under "American Pilgrims on the Camino"), and this issue has been discussed on the Chapter Coordinators Facebook group, too. I know not everyone is on Facebook, and it can be easy to miss those posts, so I thought it best to just email you all.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I got one from them--it took a little over a mo th (long enough that I'd forgotten that I ordered it).
Something I constantly remind our members and non members that total over 30,000 is that we are an all volunteer organization. I marvel at this when I consider all that we do for no cost to members or non members. Here in the capital area with over 1000 on our email list our hikes and practice Caminos are at no cost as is our annual shell ceremony where we provide free shells bought from Ivar by our national leadership. There is no commercial sponsonship. We rely on membership dues and donations to fund costs but especially to provide grants to albergues that need improvement. And we annually provide many hospitaleros whom we train. Our relationship with local Spanish amigos associations has blossomed as a result.

We are at capitalarea@americanpilgrims.org or on Facebook. We do many historical hikes as well. Our next one is Harper's Ferry. If you come to Washington, you are most welcome to join our happy group of peregrinos.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back