Is the Napoleon route typically open beginning of April?

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.

dougfitz

Veteran Member
Mar 12, 2011
Time of past OR future Camino
Past: a few
Last: Sanabres
Next: St Olav's Way
Planning on starting on April 4th 2024.
Is the Napoleon route typically open?
Thank you.
It might be, but there would be no guarantees it will be. The Pilgrim Office in SJPP can provide advice on the evening before about the conditions on the Route Napoleon.

Have you thought through your options should it be closed? Can you wait a day or two, or do you want to walk that day? If the latter, Route Valcarlos will be open.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

dougfitz

Veteran Member
Mar 12, 2011
Past: a few
Last: Sanabres
Next: St Olav's Way
I can possibly wait a day or two to see if conditions improve.
Your call on the day. I have friends who did this because they were determined to walk the Route Napoleon. Both times I have walked the CF there were issues with Route Napoleon, and I walked the Route Valcarlos.

Reactions: simply B and mspath
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.

Bradypus

Migratory hermit
Jan 18, 2015
Too many and too often!
This year the opening of the route was delayed to 4 April because of snow. It could easily have been longer. Weather is not predictable at this distance. If you have a particular date in mind then you will have to be prepared to be flexible about when you start and the Valcarlos option.

naplesdon

Veteran Member
Jul 14, 2012
Vanderbilt Beach and Estoril
Multiple Caminos 2010 to 2019
Several years ago, there were 3 major snowstorms in May. The Napoleon was closed to foot traffic most of the month and the Valcarlos paved road was closed for many days. No one can predict anything from reading the history of the weather in this region. With Global Warming who knows, it might be a sunshiny day in April, otherwise if a major storm has developed in North America about the same time and is headed across the Atlantic, take care.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Pepper_E

Feb 3, 2019
Charlottesville, Va USA
2019 CF - Fin/Muxia
2021 CP
2022 CF & Invierno
Planning on starting on April 4th 2024.
Is the Napoleon route typically open?
Thank you.
I walked the Napoleon Route last year on April 15 - no problems and beautiful. Both the week before and the week after the route was closed due to snow/weather. Throughout April it’s just a roll of the dice. I’ve been lucky, two April starts and beautiful weather each time.

Trekker One

Oct 28, 2022
Canada
C.F.2014,15,16,19&23, Portuguese'17, Primitivo'18
It has been said that there are 'no guarantees in life' or that 'man plans, god laughs.' Both certainly apply to whether the Napoleon route from St. Jean will be open on a particular day, especially in early April.
It was closed on April 8th in 2016 for my wife and I. Even on the alternate Valcarlos route we ran into heavy snow as we approached Roncesvalles.
Not a big deal since we live in northern Alberta and live with snow six months of the year.
If it turns out the Napoleon route isn't open on your first day, don't get too worked up about it. The alternate route was beautiful and ultimately it is only one day out of many.
Don't think you have been 'short changed' because the weather gods have other plans for you!

Last edited:
A selection of Camino Jewellery

Most read last week in this forum

Hi Forum! Just to reassure those starting now and the next week, but I was in Roncesvalles last night and, though full and busy, I talked to the hospitalero who told me, there were still 27 empty...
Walking the Camino Frances, since the 16th there has been a lot of mud on the trail but doable until today on the way to Pamplona! It got very difficult with the mud on the pass high up beside...
I started out from Saint-Jean-Pied-de-Port on 1 May. It turned out to be an unforgetable day. Above 1,000 m or so it snowed, catching many people unprepared. Later that day "many" walkers were...
Hi everyone -- After walking the Frances from SJpdP last October, I'm planning to revisit the bit between Logrono and Burgos this July, following different stages. It's the section where I had...
I'm flying from the USA to start my Camino this week. I will check my backpack, and to protect it, I will ship it in a plastic storage bin like this one: Rather than shipping the storage bin to...
Just after 9am this morning I turned the last corner of the Camino Frances and stood in front of the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela!! It's been 33 days since I left Saint Jean Pied de Port...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides