• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

it's getting nearer

Chip59

Time of past OR future Camino
leon to santiago - august/september (2010)
burgos to leon - june (2012)
sjpdp to burgos - july (2014)
can't wait for july. itchy itchy feet. just done my first practise pack - 2.6kg without 1.5l water (1.5kg) and 1kg porridge in ziplock food bags and bits and bobs.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Wow chip, wish I could get down to that sort of weight. I'll be lucky to get away with less than 8-9 kg.Please post your packing list and I may just copy it.

Regards
George

on my previous two caminos i have ended up at 6.5kg all in though i was aiming for 6kg following the 10 per cent guidance. i will unpack it all tomorrow and itemise it for you. i really should make a packing list so thanks for reminding me.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Wow chip, wish I could get down to that sort of weight. I'll be lucky to get away with less than 8-9 kg.Please post your packing list and I may just copy it.

Regards
George

Ok george I have a spare set of clothes, a poncho, a hoodie, hat, headnet, silk sleeping bag liner and silk pillow case, sol emergency blanket, mock crocs for the shower and maybe a little walking in urban areas, buff (graduated to merino wool this year), foil car windscreen sheet ( this comes on all my travels), gaiters (may not bring these), toiletries, sundries, first aid. The rucksack is mom classic 32 which I took last time tho wd like to get it all in smaller bag. Hope this helps. Still not decided on footwear. Been practising with kigos (minimalist) which are super grippy.

I am going to do my Camino with my 19 y-o son in Oct 2014, I am very anxious as well. Started practice but unloaded - I will do it soon with my backpack on.

All the best for you .... Buen Camino

How wonderful to do the camino with a loved one. I had so much nervous energy the day I started my first camino I cd have powered the national grid. I even walked past the baggage carousel and out into the main airport without collecting my rucksack. Had to go back in past no entry signs to get it. It's natural but the Spanish people are wonderful. So helpful and all yr pilgrim family will look after u. I have never known such camaraderie and kindness. Once u get the first day under yr belt you will be fine. Burn camino : ).

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
That went before I cd correct it. Meant buen camino of course. Don't u love spell checks.

Ok george I have a spare set of clothes, a poncho, a hoodie, hat, headnet, silk sleeping bag liner and silk pillow case, sol emergency blanket, mock crocs for the shower and maybe a little walking in urban areas, buff (graduated to merino wool this year), foil car windscreen sheet ( this comes on all my travels), gaiters (may not bring these), toiletries, sundries, first aid. The rucksack is mom classic 32 which I took last time tho wd like to get it all in smaller bag. Hope this helps. Still not decided on footwear. Been practising with kigos (minimalist) which are super grippy.

All this at 2.6 kgs is amazing. You could even ditch some of that as in July I doubt you will need gaitors or an emergency blanket unless you get lost in fog and possible cold weather on the fells at Cebreiro.

Thinking about it I don't think I took the gaiters last time. I made some makeshift ones from bin liners and gaffer tape before I left. Kept out the rain and wind and were much lighter so thanks for reminding me the sol blanket is very light and a just in case item. Buen camino.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Chip you are really brave having such a minamalist gear list, wish I could do that, I'm off to Alicante on Tuesday to walk the Sureste/Levante. Think I'm going to grasp the nettle unpack and look again, you see I like to have three sets of clothes, one on, one dry to put on and another that may be wet, but so much depends on the weather, last year in May on the Norte the weather was very wet and keeping just one set of gear dry to put on at night became a bit of an issue. Still I'm going to have another look.
Regards
George
Ps just decided to be brave the "para agua" isnt going

It's not bravery george. When I went on my first camino I read u shdnt carry more than 10 per cent of yr body weight which for me is 6kg but only mAnaged 6.5kg so far. I read a lot about how to lighten the pack. I did a practise walk with 7 kg once and it was too much for me so loads more research. Plenty of vids on YouTube about ultralight backpacking but be warned it can become addictive. It does depend as u say on weather and also available accommodation. Quick dry fabrics are yr best friend. The worst problem I had was in Galicia one time when I was wearing heavy leather boots (never again) and they got soaked but thank God it was the only night there was a hand drier in the loo so I put them under there for a bit which helped. Enjoy yr trip next week. Wd love to hear about the route etc

Chip59,
When are you planning on going in July? I am going on my first Camino then and I am looking for a walking pilgrim partner.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi Regina

Sorry for late reply. I fly to Biarritz on July 11 and will start walking the following day. I am walking as far as Burgos but it wd be great to have someone to walk with if our dates coincide. By then you'll be well used to the routine. When ru going. Buen camino

@Chip59 ,

No worries, thanks for the response. I hope we do walk into each other; hopefully I will be starting on or before the 11th of July. If my dates change I will let you know. Best of camino to you

And to you. Enjoy.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi chip
did you need a bug net on your other camino's, I wasn't thinking of taking mine to save weight

Hi tictoc

I took a headnet both times but only used it once while walking. Tbh I used it more for sleeping but not always. They are very light and compact and u cd use it as a stuff sack if u found u didn't need it.

Buen camino

Most read last week in this forum

Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...
From a friend on the ground in Pamplona https://www.noticiasdenavarra.com/fotos/general/sociedad/2024/04/23/nieve-primaveral-presente-navarra-8152386.html

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back