• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

July 4th start from SJPP..... Advice about the Meseta please !

Gillyweb

Time of past OR future Camino
Villafranca - Santiago (2013)
SJPP - Santiago (2014)
Portugues (2017)
Having done Villafranca to Santiago last year I'm hooked and have just booked my flight to Biarritz for 3rd July 2014. Sooo excited but suddenly so nervous too ; 120 miles was easy enough - 500 ?? Weird thing is - if all goes well I should arrive in Santiago on exactly the same day as last year. Co-incidence or what ??
Walking the Meseta stretch does worry me though. Any advice ??

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Walking the Meseta stretch does worry me though. Any advice ??

Gillyweb,

Be sure to read what others have written in earlier Forum threads regarding the mesesta re skipping it and weather conditions.

Every time that I have walked this immense wind-swept Castillian plateau which rises west of Burgos I have found it magical; especially impressive is the stretch between Hornillos del Camino and Itero de la Vega via Castrojeriz and the hefty climb up to the top of the Mostelares plateau. Cold in late autumn and often with thick clinging mud which drags your boots, frigid in winter with a wicked wind out of the west which hits straight at your chest it must be hot as hell in summer. Neither easy, nor impossible; all simply is.

Nevertheless there are breathtaking vistas, many albergues and some wonderful stops. Every pilgrim simply need to find his/her own pace. Travel light but carry enough water whatever the season. Just try it!.

Margaret Meredith

...towards Hornillos del Camino, November 9, 2013

Hi there - that photo looks wonderful. I don't want to skip it - I'd feel personally I cheated. I'm a little concerned about being alone in the wilderness but I guess it shouldn't be any lonelier than any other part....
Are there any stretches to be aware of as particularly difficult on accomodation, or anywhere to avoid ? or recommend ? And did you find the miles went more slowly without ever changing scenery.....
It seems such a contentious section that there must be a good reason.
Gill

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I have never understood the concern about the Meseta. It is my favorite part of the Camino Frances. There is really nothing to be concerned about...except the wind on some days....and that is really not a big deal either.
There are almost always other Pilgrims in sight because of the visibility for long distances.
The scenery does change. There are some long stretches of wheat/grain fields but not "forever". It is very peaceful and is broken up often by wonderful small villages.
I can't think of anything to avoid. The accommodation is no different than anywhere else along the way.
July will probably be crowded...but it will be on the entire Camino, not just the Meseta.
Enjoy.

I found the Meseta one of the most challenging and enjoyable parts of my Camino. In April, as spring emerged, the sense of space and freedom after years of offices and computer screens was profound. I spent much of those days battling a cold head-wind and using my umbrella to fend off icy rain. Sometimes asking Santo Domingo to grant me a wall or a haystack to shelter behind, a gift sometimes granted. Never the less I would and will walk it again, and grasp that opportunity to walk and think, or even not to think, without navigational challenges, and to come at the end of each day to comfort and shelter. At times there was a sublime stillness in walking the meseta; and then a bird would flicker in a bush, a hare skip, lark song crash into my consciousness.

After the hill-top towns of Rioja and Navarra it is strange to encounter the little towns nestling in the valleys out of the wind such that you can be almost upon them before you see more than a church tower or a cemetery on the hill. There are rock piles on the Meseta - strange patterns in the landscape - old. The farmers work round them. I ponder still - do they mark an earlier pilgrimage? Was this landscape sacred? To whom?

Walk the Meseta? Always.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I found the Meseta one of the most challenging and enjoyable parts of my Camino. In April, as spring emerged, the sense of space and freedom after years of offices and computer screens was profound. I spent much of those days battling a cold head-wind and using my umbrella to fend off icy rain. Sometimes asking Santo Domingo to grant me a wall or a haystack to shelter behind, a gift sometimes granted. Never the less I would and will walk it again, and grasp that opportunity to walk and think, or even not to think, without navigational challenges, and to come at the end of each day to comfort and shelter. At times there was a sublime stillness in walking the meseta; and then a bird would flicker in a bush, a hare skip, lark song crash into my consciousness.

After the hill-top towns of Rioja and Navarra it is strange to encounter the little towns nestling in the valleys out of the wind such that you can be almost upon them before you see more than a church tower or a cemetery on the hill. There are rock piles on the Meseta - strange patterns in the landscape - old. The farmers work round them. I ponder still - do they mark an earlier pilgrimage? Was this landscape sacred? To whom?

Walk the Meseta? Always.

That's exactly what I want to hear..... It just seems odd that it is such a topic. I'll just enjoy ..... I walked in July and August last year so I know the crowding issues but it was never a problem (apart from leaving Sarria on a Saturday morning which, after 4 days of quiet, I hated - that really was overcrowding )
I'll just trust all will be well then, and stop stressing. Maybe just buy a hat .... and still carry my camelbak which I was considering leaving behind !!
Tincatinker - you make it sound so incredibly beautiful and moving. I'm sure that whatever I find there it will be as edifying and wonderful as every other moment.
Gill

Gillyweb,
Are you trying to make it by St. James Day on July 24th? I am doing my Camino by foot starting when you are starting. I will walk for about 3 weeks. However, I need a partner to travel with. Are you interested in having a walking pilgrim buddy?

And did you find the miles went more slowly without ever changing scenery.....
It seems such a contentious section that there must be a good reason.
Gill

When people ask me what's that thing about Camino that drags me there I always think about Meseta. And throw them simple explanation. For example - I can not forget a stretch between Villamayor de Monjardin and Los Arcos although it is not the Meseta, but that valley is the simplest way to describe what I feel there. When you drive your car along 4km stretch of barley field it's like a second for brains. And after that there is 4km stretch of olive trees. Again - like a moment and our brain couldn't stop when there comes another 4 km stretch of vineyards. Whereas while walking through barley fields after 15 minutes brains are simply fed up with the same scenery (let's say average walking speed is 4km/h) and decided to take a rest. A rest for conscious, but not for unconscious, they are working on some "hidden material" which had to be dealed with. And when approaching olive trees for next 15 minutes brains are awake again and ........... so it goes on and on on the Meseta. Pure ZEN for me. Just walking, nothing really hard to do like concentrating, everything just happens out of itself. Pure beauty :)

Ultreia!

PS (English is not my native language and sometimes it's very hard for me to explain so complicated (yet simple) things like this. I tried my best :))

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
PS (English is not my native language and sometimes it's very hard for me to explain so complicated (yet simple) things like this. I tried my best :))

You did well. You have put into words what many of us experience.

No need to stress yourself with the "Meseta." I was 58 years old when I did Camino de Santiago Frances in May 2013 within 35 days.

I did it solo with no form of communication. I suffer from asthma and hyper-active bladder. that was why the "Meseta" was also a concern for me.

I decided I will deal with it and face my fears. I think I did better in the "Meseta" than the Pyrenees.

Just enjoy it while you can and don't stress yourself.

I am currently planning my second Camino for May 2015 (before I turn 61 years old). This time I will enjoy every bit of it.

Gillyweb,
Are you trying to make it by St. James Day on July 24th? I am doing my Camino by foot starting when you are starting. I will walk for about 3 weeks. However, I need a partner to travel with. Are you interested in having a walking pilgrim buddy?
Hi there .... I'm afraid work commitments have got in the way and I had to rebook my flights to start on the 7th and NOW sadly it looks like it will be the 17th. I can't let it be any later than that or it will start to affect work when I get home. I do hope you find a walking buddy and have the most amazing Camino.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
When people ask me what's that thing about Camino that drags me there I always think about Meseta. And throw them simple explanation. For example - I can not forget a stretch between Villamayor de Monjardin and Los Arcos although it is not the Meseta, but that valley is the simplest way to describe what I feel there. When you drive your car along 4km stretch of barley field it's like a second for brains. And after that there is 4km stretch of olive trees. Again - like a moment and our brain couldn't stop when there comes another 4 km stretch of vineyards. Whereas while walking through barley fields after 15 minutes brains are simply fed up with the same scenery (let's say average walking speed is 4km/h) and decided to take a rest. A rest for conscious, but not for unconscious, they are working on some "hidden material" which had to be dealed with. And when approaching olive trees for next 15 minutes brains are awake again and ........... so it goes on and on on the Meseta. Pure ZEN for me. Just walking, nothing really hard to do like concentrating, everything just happens out of itself. Pure beauty :)

Ultreia!

That was beautifully put - thank you . I do remember many moments like that last year on my much shorter walk from Villafranca del Bierzo, and actually Kinkyone you said on here after my posts that I sounded hooked - and I was. So I will trust what you say and look forward to the Meseta as the time I lay down some burdens and relax my stressed and tired mind.

Last edited:
That was beautifully put - thank you . I do remember many moments like that last year on my much shorter walk from Villafranca del Bierzo, and actually kinkyone you said on here after my posts that I sounded hooked - and I was. So I will trust what you say and look forward to the Meseta as the time I lay down some burdens and relax my stressed and tired mind.
:):):)

I'll get to Santiago around 25th July (maybe a day or two later) and you'll be walking CF in July also as I can see, so perhaps we can stay in touch and see if we can do some live conversation while there ;)

Ultreia!

Gillyweb,

I will be in sjpp on July 7th as well, although I may not start until 8th and have reservations at orisson, so as to start easy at the directions of all those who know....May see you and gillyweb

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I agree with some of the other pilgrims, the meseta has been my favorite part so far! An easy walk, good for the soul body and spirit. You will be just fine! Buen camino :)

Peace and cheers!

Most read last week in this forum

Hello everyone, I’m about to embark on my first Camino this month in a week or so. I had plans to go with a friend but it fell through so now I’m visiting a friend in France until I work up the...
Apologies if this topic has been covered before. I’m interested in the earliest/recommended date someone can reserve the following services: 1) flights 2) inter-city buses 3) train (e.g...
I have a bad knee and have to be very careful about walking both up and down hills, mostly down, would the Central route be much different than the Litoral route? Where is the last place to change...
If you are planning to start a Camino in October 2024, you are invited to add a post to this thread – scroll down to the last post, and create a new post giving your expected start date, start...
Hi, this is Nils from Tenerife. I'm excited to start my very first camino - let's see what it will bring! 😍 For me, this journey is very much like an inwardly guided shamanic ceremony, following...
Hello all fellow pilgrims! To celebrate my 70th birthday I'll be following the Frances path from St Jean Pied de Port to Santiago de Compostela. Really excited abut the journey for me starting...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back