• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Just a liner or sleeping bag? (Possible weather change)

HBS60

Time of past OR future Camino
August 2024 (planned)
I’ve been planning to just bring a liner instead of a sleeping bag for my Camino Frances, which I’m starting in August 11, so I’ve been planning for very hot weather, (up to 40 degrees C by some accounts) rendering a sleeping bag unnecessary, or so I’ve heard…

…but then, It might take me well into September by the time I reach Galicia and SDC, so I think the weather might change and be cooler by then. I really don’t want to carry a sleeping bag (adds weight and bulk to my backpack), but I might need something more than a liner by the time I get to Galicia. I know I could buy one by the time I need it, but is buying something I might need only 1-2 weeks the best way?

I already have a sleeping bag suitable for mildly cold weather, but it’s very bulky. I’ve seen some compact ones but some of them seem extremely expensive (at least at REI, I was looking yesterday as I visited the store).

I’ve looked up weather forecasts, average temperatures, and it does seem the temperature drops sometime in September. I plan to arrive to SDC between September 11-22, with the latter I think I can expect a weather change, and the liner alone may not suffice.

Any insights/advice?
Thanks!

Guides that will let you complete the journey your way.
Bring the liner, then if you aren't able to get blankets in albergues or you decide that you need something warmer you can go to a Decathlon store for an inexpensive lightweight sleeping bag.

…but then, It might take me well into September by the time I reach Galicia and SDC, so I think the weather might change and be cooler by then.

Our first Frances was from Sep 9th to October 16th. We brought 40 degree sleeping bags and they were far too warm. A room full of sleeping pilgrims can create a lot of heat.

We've been using the Sea to Summit Reactor Extreme liner. It weights .36 kilogram, so much lighter than a sleeping bag AND it takes up very little space in the backpack.

It works for us

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Plan on the liner, but start looking at the weather forecast just a couple of weeks before starting. You’ll have enough clothing with you to get through the night if you need to.

I’d favour @trecile ‘s option of buying a Decathalon bag in Burgos or Leon if needed. You could probably get a Hello Kitty blanket from a china store even cheaper.

Thanks to all!
I’m glad to see on the Decathlon website their map, they have stores all over, so I’m sure I’ll be able to get something if needed. So, just liner it is, I already had one, so I’m good!

Let me make what might be an obvious observation, and that is that daytime maxima around 40 degC won't mean it doesn't get quite cold at night. A quick look at the extreme values for the climate data for Pamplona in August does show a highest daytime maximum of 40.6 degC. The lowest minimum is just 4.8 degC. For SDC in September the values are 39.0 degC and 3.0 degC. The average minimum for SDC in September is 11.9 degC, but remember that half of the time, the actual minimum will be below this.

Normally you would expect that a dormitory won't be exposed to these extreme temperatures, but that isn't certain either. I have been in dormitories where there have been an active group of fresh air fanatics who insisted on the windows being wide open despite the chilling effect this had.

I haven't walked a camino at this time of year, but walking in spring, I have always carried a sleeping bag.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Let me make what might be an obvious observation, and that is that daytime maxima around 40 degC won't mean it doesn't get quite cold at night.

I have used a lightweight sleeping bag in Andalucia in August and been cold.

Bring a sleeping bag. You only need a cheap, lightweight one. Not that much heavier than a liner and the albergues are often quite cold. Also you can bet there will not be a Decathlon close by if you need one.

I did a CF and a Le Puy camino both in August. I survived with a liner and no sleeping bag. I did have tights and fleece vest to wear to bed.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I’ve been planning to just bring a liner instead of a sleeping bag for my Camino Frances, which I’m starting in August 11, so I’ve been planning for very hot weather, (up to 40 degrees C by some accounts) rendering a sleeping bag unnecessary, or so I’ve heard…

…but then, It might take me well into September by the time I reach Galicia and SDC, so I think the weather might change and be cooler by then. I really don’t want to carry a sleeping bag (adds weight and bulk to my backpack), but I might need something more than a liner by the time I get to Galicia. I know I could buy one by the time I need it, but is buying something I might need only 1-2 weeks the best way?

I already have a sleeping bag suitable for mildly cold weather, but it’s very bulky. I’ve seen some compact ones but some of them seem extremely expensive (at least at REI, I was looking yesterday as I visited the store).

I’ve looked up weather forecasts, average temperatures, and it does seem the temperature drops sometime in September. I plan to arrive to SDC between September 11-22, with the latter I think I can expect a weather change, and the liner alone may not suffice.

Any insights/advice?
Thanks!
REI brand Helio is <$80. I took that with me for my Sept/Oct Camino from Leon > SDC. It is very compact and light weight. Use a compression sack to pack it down. It worked beautifully for me.

Most read last week in this forum

**Update** I reached out to the developer and a fix is in! unistalled the app again, and reinstalled the new updated version, and it works like a charm again! Hi! I am 15 days out from my...
So I have heard common wisdom is to bring a silk liner for your Camino (+/- a sleeping bag depending on your preference and season). Specifically regarding silk liners, all of the ones I've...
Greetings Fellow Pilgrims! I have more than a month to go until I leave on my first Camino, but couldn't resist getting my pack together already this weekend. My full backpack (Deuter 30 L) is...
I had bought the long Camino banner-style map in Santiago and finally got around to having it framed. The framers managed to tear my map and I'm in need of a replacement. Does anyone know where...
Hi Guys This is just for info really; but if mods want to they can delete! For this May's Camino i have gone back to my Talon 33 (so much less stuff this time; in fact everything is in the top...
Hi, I start my Camino from Oviedo on Sunday the 23rd of June. I was hoping to buy some hiking poles from the Decathlon store, but it doesn’t seem to open on a Sunday, nor do the other hiking...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.