• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Language Barrier for train tickets

gypsywind

Hello All. I am so excited, Just ordered my Backpack! I have my tickets to Paris, but I do not speak French and am having a difficult time figuring out trains to Bayonne. Any suggestions?

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Hi,
Not sure if its the same where you hail from but i purchased my tickets on line -i flew into Bordeaux last time - on the scnf site.
But if I was going to Madrid i would use a coach rather the the train as they are generally simpler to use, more frequent and cheaper - not speaking no more then a few words of Spanish i have had no problems in using them.

Happy wanderings

Aside from the English of the SNCF site, the train wickets at CdG airport and also at the main stations have English-speaking staff. French tourisme offices (and, surprisingly to me) the mairies or municipal offices are also very good in providing English-language services. As in Spain, older people do not have great other-language capacity, but younger people are often fairly capable and happy to assist (even in Paris!! which has the reputation of unfriendliness).

I found that a simple site to use for French train tickets is www.captaintrain.com.
It was recommended by someone else on the forum and worked very well for me. I was able to print the ticket from home. The ticket is also available to you on their app which is free at the app store.
I booked CDG (Paris Airport) to SJPdP without problems using a U.S. Credit Card.
All in English and very straight forward.
I have not heard of any complaints or problems with this site...other than the funky name.

The SNCF site is clunky and often not complete. The SNCF site does not accept foreign credit cards. Rail Europe (reconnected from SNCF site) does not offer a complete selection of available trains and/or class in many cases.
The bottom line is that using the SNCF site is very problematic for U.S. users.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I found that a simple site to use for French train tickets is www.captaintrain.com.
I booked CDG (Paris Airport) to SJPdP without problems using a U.S. Credit Card.
The SNCF site does not accept foreign credit cards.
How do you get around the issue of foreign credit cards NOT being accepted online? The same happens with buses in Spain with ALSA. But when online booking to ensure the seat you have no option but to use credit cards.

How do you get around the issue of foreign credit cards NOT being accepted online? The same happens with buses in Spain with ALSA. But when online booking to ensure the seat you have no option but to use credit cards.

The site I posted above, captaintrain.com, does accept U.S. and other credit cards.
That is the point of using it.

The site I posted above, captaintrain.com, does accept U.S. and other credit cards.
That is the point of using it.
Sorry if I confused you. It was more of a general question because I had a MAJOR problem recently at San Zoilo trying to pay online using Visa and MasterCard for bus travel. Which then created further confusion and unbelievable panic by reception staff that I couldn't pay their bill, all because of the refusal of my card to pay for the travel. Also, in 2011 for a previous Camino, for train travel on SNCF. So it was mainly a question about how do you book travel online, if overseas credit cards are refused. Sorry for any confusion.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Make sure your overseas credit card has a 4 digit pin, if not that is often the root of the problem. Buen Camino, SY

Make sure your overseas credit card has a 4 digit pin, if not that is often the root of the problem. Buen Camino, SY
Thanks SYates. I have a 4 digit PIN for use at ATMs and over the counter purchases, but the credit card security number on the back of the card is a 3 digit number. I was probably putting it in, so that'll be the problem. But online I thought that's the number that I give. Thanks once again.

Yes, the 3 digit number is the one you use for online purchases/bookings when asked for your credit card details online. Paying in a hotel, for example, you would use the 4 digit PIN code. Buen Camino, SY

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!

Most read last week in this forum

Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...
Within the past few hours there have been two stories on local news media reporting that the Guardia Civil have been successful in returning lost passports to pilgrims. One in Najera, the other in...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back