• ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Remove ads on the forum by becoming a donating member. More here.
  • 20% off everything Altus the next few days at the Camino Forum Store. More here. (Discount taken at check out)
  • Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Late May or September walk from Sarria to SdC. Preferences?

koby

Due to the SpanAir bankruptcy and cancellation of all flights, I am having to change my reservations and this gives me the opportunity to change my walk dates from Sarria to SdC (100kms) from late May to September (a change I have been contemplating). My luggage and accommodations will be pre-arranged out of necessity, and I will walk alone -- it could take up to 10 or 11 days.

Since the distance is short, your comments pro and con on time of year of arrival in SdC would be appreciated.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Koby,

I've arrived in early May and also in Late October. Both fairly bookend the "high" season on the Camino (Frances and Portuguese). I like that time of year because the earth is coming alive with Spring and, on the other end, the fantastic colors of Fall. The temperatures are comfortable, the albergues not packed (for the most part) and the populace happy to see you.

I added travel comments on the Spanair bankruptcy thread.

Saludos

Arn

koby said:
Due to the SpanAir bankruptcy and cancellation of all flights, I am having to change my reservations and this gives me the opportunity to change my walk dates from Sarria to SdC (100kms) from late May to September (a change I have been contemplating). My luggage and accommodations will be pre-arranged out of necessity, and I will walk alone -- it could take up to 10 or 11 days.

Since the distance is short, your comments pro and con on time of year of arrival in SdC would be appreciated.
Hi! I walked the Frances in spring, and the Ingles in autumn. I'd say spring! It's beautiful with all the wild flowers and green fields. If after the event, you think you made a mistake you can go back in autumn to do it again! Both seasons are times of change, and can help you reflect. You'll enjoy it in either.

Buen Camino!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I did it last September. It was beautiful and i 'll do it again this autumn. Weather was perfect. Buen Camino :D

Walked both Sarria to SdC late May and September.

May will probably be that bit drier if my experience is anything to go by - easier to get wet clothes dry, and September perhaps a little less crowded in the albergues.

But both turned out to be good months to walk.

May we ask why you are contemplating the change? That might help us to answer your question with a bit more certainty.

I am considering September rather than spring. I did it in May last time. I was concerned that there may be too many places closed early? Anyone know? Also, I didn't have an issue last time with the eonomy in Spain because it was still fairly good in 2008. Can anyone shed some light on the economy now on the Camino and whether or not places will be closed in Sept. or does it run strongly through October? thanks in advance.

...and ship it to Santiago for storage. You pick it up once in Santiago. Service offered by Casa Ivar (we use DHL for transportation).
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Sorry for the delay in answering why I was thinking of changing my walk from May to September. I have been a caregiver two days a week for the past year for my sister who is very ill. Because of her lack of mobility, her husband and I many times alone or together had to lift or move her. Because of the stress it was causing to my arthritic hands, feet and knees (both replaced) the family has hired full time care so I can now visit and assist without doing this.

I thought I would recover quickly but it is taking longer than I expected so I wondered if I should make this walk -- as short as it is -- in September. With SpanAir's collapse I could remake my reservation without cost, saving me about $150CD/113 euros, along with a savings of about $200CD in taxes and fees by going another route. Thus the question.

I have now rebooked the same May 28 date with return June 11, with 11 days to walk the 100kms. As mentioned, my luggage and accomodations have been arranged; I walk for exercise but am not an experienced long distance walker and I know I cannot carry a heavy backpack. However, I am in excellent health, this is a spiritual walk, and I want to do it alone. I will be 80 and with some effort I know I should do this sooner than later. I know others walk a longer route with greater disabilities and they are an inspiration. I have been to Santiago many years ago by car and it never occurred to me that someday I would return on foot.

Thanks for your interest. I now have Pacer Poles, and boots that I hope to talk about on this forum.

Remember if you can not carry your backpack, you can use the carriers, they do it for you . Cost 3 euros from one city to the next. I used one of then one time last year. Buen camino.

...and ship it to Santiago for storage. You pick it up once in Santiago. Service offered by Casa Ivar (we use DHL for transportation).
Koby,
You are the inspiration
Go safe and enjoy
David

koby said:
I will be 80 and with some effort I know I should do this sooner than later. I know others walk a longer route with greater disabilities and they are an inspiration.
You decided appropriately! It's amazing how many pilgrims walk to Santiago with all sorts of disabilities. They all carried their cross on this pilgrimage, for various personal reasons. They all made it. Bless you and.....ultreya :D

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Thank you everyone. I am now preparing to start walking on May 29. My boots are fitting well and the Pacer Poles are terrific and I am able to walk without pain in my hip and weight is lifted from knees and feet. I am happy. God bless you all.

Most read last week in this forum

A local Navarra website has reported the death of a 61 year old German peregrina this morning in Zuriain. The cause appears to have been cardiac arrest. The third death of a pilgrim in Navarra in...
We’re currently on the Frances. We’re walking from SJPDP. We’re looking at our projected dates for Sarria to Santiago. When we try to find lodging it all looks sold out on booking.com. What...
I just got an email that the train from Bayonne to St Jean tonight is canceled. Anyone else see this?
A few km before Portomaran, a huge swarm of wasps swooped down on a pilgrim. Thankfully, he wasn’t stung. He said it looked like a flock of sparrows that swooped down and he thought they were...
Here is a pic from 2016, I love the simplicity of the sketch map and directions "1 km climb up, 5km flat, 5km down". I wonder how the prices are now?
Reposted from Wise Pilgrim comments, was hiking with this pilgrim. Don’t follow app,go just a bit further past to well marked turn, not the one with spray painted arrow on stop sign:

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back