Where past pilgrims share, and future pilgrims learn

A donation to the forum removes advertising!
  1. New here?
    We have accumulated over 10 years of Camino Questions and Answers.
    Please Sign Up and plan your camino with us. Buen Camino! Ivar
  2. Are you a lurker?
    Interested in getting a daily email with the latest forum post? Get it here.

laundry

Discussion in 'Equipment Questions' started by szyszka, Jul 25, 2010.

1. szyszka

szyszka New Member

helo! I've got a question about doing laundry. Did you carried any washing powder from home? Or there was some powder "for general use" in albergues? Or maybe you used something else for doing laundry?
    :)

A Donation to the forum removes advertising.
  2. annakappa

annakappa Member Donating Member

Camino(s) past & future:
    Part frances jun 07/rest frances may- jun 2008/Frances sept-oct 2009/ Sanabres Oct 2010/Frances sept-oct 2011/Aragones Sept-Oct 2012. Hospitalero Sept 2010, Amiga in Pilgrim's Office Oct 2013.
    I usually take a cut off piece from a bar of laundry soap. This always seems to get lost at one point (forgotten at the wash sink). I then buy soap powder, measure an approx amount for what I will need for the rest of the journey and leave the rest in the albergue for others to use. Anne
  3. skilsaw

skilsaw Member

I bring an 8 oz bottle of a liquid soap called "Camp Suds" from home.
    And I use it for washing everything... hair, body, clothes...
    I use it sparingly and it lasts the whole trip.

This soap is environmentally friendly and has no fragrance.
    I purchase it from MEC in Canada, or an outdoor store.
  4. Anniesantiago

Anniesantiago Well-Known Member Donating Member

Camino(s) past & future:
    Walked 2009, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014
    When you first arrive in SJPP (or wherever), go to any little market or hardware store and pick up a bar of Fels Naptha. It is laundry soap in a bar and is especially made for handwashing.

http://doitbest.com/Laundry+soap+and+sp ... 632902.dib

It is very inexpensive ($1.25 in the US) and lightweight (every OUNCE counts!). You can cut it into many slices and share the cost with fellow pilgrims. Don't carry the whole thing, too heavy. It's about twice the size of a bar of bath soap. I cut a one-inch slice and that took me half way through the Camino.

To wash with it, you get your clothes wet, then rub it all over the clothes. Handwash as usual, then rinse. It rinses much better than powder detergent and the clothes really come clean.

You aren't going to find an automatic washer very often, and when you do they are expensive, so if you're on a budget, buy the Fels Naptha and you'll be set!
  5. Pacharan

Pacharan New Member

I washed clothes with the same unperfumed bath soap I used in the shower. Used albergue machines when available too. Usually these are operated by the hospitaleros who charge 3 euros or so for wash and a similar amount for drying, so you don't need your own machine soap powder.
  6. SisterPearl

SisterPearl New Member

I carried two Sea Hag Soaps Camp Bars, and they lasted me easily for the 5 weeks. They were great for washing body, hair and clothes, AND they have natural moisturizer. Everything is environmentally-friendly, too :) Colleen (the 'Sea Hag' herself) is an avid hiker, and gives all kinds of lovely support and guidance on all questions and stories related to hiking.

Find the Camp Bars here: http://www.seahagsoaps.com/soaps/indivi ... l#campbars

An once, in Mansilla de las Mulas, I sprang for laundry service. Yup, I paid the 9 euro at the hostel, and they washed AND dried my clothes for me. It was midway through, and the only time my clothes saw the inside of a washer in those 5 weeks.

I have to say, though, the camp bars did a thourough enough job, that I didn't really mind only putting my clothes through a washer once!
  7. Larazet

Larazet Member Donating Member

Camino(s) past & future:
    Camino Frances "2013" had to stop half way due to tendonitis ... Continuing May 2014..
    Am I right in thinking that Savon de Marseille can be used for body and clothes? It is perfume free and can be cut into small portions.
  8. fortview

fortview Member

Camino(s) past & future:
    Camino frances Sept/oct 2012 , Salvador, Primitivo 2013
    It's really useful to know what everyone used ! Will definitely try a soap bar next time. I read somewhere that Lush, which we can get in the UK , do a shampoo bar that can be used for everything.
    With these bars, do people find that they dry out ok and don't turn into a soggy mess ?
    I used shower gel, it worked fine , and saved weight, but I'm loving the sound of soap bars :D
  9. lindseh

lindseh New Member

Camino(s) past & future:
    Camino Frances, April/May 2011; May/June 2013
    I love the Lush shampoo bars! I use them for shampoo (at home, too!), shower soap, and laundry soap. You only need a bit to get a lot of lather. Some of the bars have a lot of "gunk" in them, like little flowers or seaweed... for the Camino I prefer to take the "less frills" bars. Try "NEW!", "Karma Komba", "Ultimate Shine" or "Jumping Juniper". The first two have quite strong smells (both of which I like, and they're not overpowering once you use it) and the others don't really smell - up to you. If you have normal hair you can use any of these, despite what type of hair they each claim to target.

As for upkeep, last time I brought the shampoo tin (which is the same shape and juuust big enough to hold a bar), and a small length of paper towel. After I used it, I let it dry out on the paper towel on my bunk, and once dry I'd put it in its tin. If you put it in wet, it's way too hard to get out because the tin's too small and it sticks to the bottom!

This time I'm using this:

http://www.lush.ca/Body-butter-tin/2202 ... rt=3&q=tin

It's meant for a different product, but way easier than the shampoo bar tin because there's room to pry it out if you have to put it in there when wet! I'll probably still line it with a small square of paper towel so I don't waste product by having it get stuck to the bottom.

This is more info than you need but I just really love Lush so I had to share! :p It's my most luxurious AND most practical item! What can beat that...

Ultreia,
    Lindsey
  10. fortview

fortview Member

Camino(s) past & future:
    Camino frances Sept/oct 2012 , Salvador, Primitivo 2013
    Thanks so much for the info Lindsey :D
    Really useful, especially to know how you got on with it !
    It's on my shopping list for the next camino ,
    Helen
  11. Diegomartine

Diegomartine New Member

Camino(s) past & future:
    May 1st. (2013)
  12. Al the optimist

Al the optimist Active Member Donating Member

Thanks for the tip about Lush. We have a shop in nearby Birmingham, so will go and get a bar and tin. It will also give me an excuse to browse in the local hiker store! :D (As if I need one when in pre Camino counting down mode).
    allan
  13. Susannafromsweden

Susannafromsweden Moderator Staff Member Donating Member

Camino(s) past & future:
    Via de la Plata 2010, Camino de Madrid, Salvador, Primitivo 2013, Olvidado, Invierno 2014
    Thank you. This seems to be exactly what I'm looking for.
    An ordinary soap just doesn't do the job properly.
Tags: laundry