Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Leave No Trace Outdoor Ethics for Camino de Santiago

arturo garcia

Pilgrim/Hospitalero/Mountain guide/Photographer
Aug 1, 2014
Hospital de Orbigo
Time of past OR future Camino
French way (Dic. 2012), Portuguese way (Dic.2013) and now living on the Camino.
Between 2004 and 2005 I attended two wonderful courses with National Outdoor Leadership School (NOLS) in Wyoming and California. Part of that training was the Leave No Trace Outdoor Ethics master course, which we apply for many years leading expeditions in the Amazon. This time I would like to share the Leave No Trace Ethics for pilgrims doing the "Camino de Santiago". Because I´m a pilgrim too and we manage a private albergue in the camino.

check the info at: https://lnt.org/research-resources/leave-no-trace-outdoor-ethics-for-camino-de-santiago/

Last edited:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

dougfitz

Veteran Member
Mar 12, 2011
Past: a few
Last: Sanabres
Next: St Olav's Way
Between 2004 and 2005 I attended two wonderful courses with National Outdoor Leadership School (NOLS) in Wyoming and California. Part of that training was the Leave No Trace Outdoor Ethics master course, which we apply for many years leading expeditions in the Amazon. This time I would like to share the Leave No Trace Ethics for pilgrims doing the "Camino de Santiago". Because I´m a pilgrim too and we manage a private albergue in the camino.

check the info at: https://lnt.org/research-resources/leave-no-trace-outdoor-ethics-for-camino-de-santiago/
This document was aired in an earlier post, here, in early 2022. I didn't think then that it was a reasonable guide to the ethical application of the LNT principles to the Camino or any other pilgrimage, and while it might have become one if the LNT organisation were not so hidebound and inflexible, clearly that situation hasn't changed.

I don't intend to repeat my criticism of the document here. Those who are interested can read my comments in the thread I have linked above.

F

Former member 104756

Thank you for this, Arturo. You live on the Camino - it has been your home for many years I understand - so you see first hand, and would understand better than most, some of the negative impacts of our combined presence along these wonderful paths.

I appreciated reading the recommendations. I hadn't seen the earlier thread so it was first time reading this document. I don't know anything about LNT but the document contained some worthwhile reminders and information on things I hadn't thought about. Some may disagree with particular principles or recommendations or take issue with the organisation under whose banner the doc was published, but people are not obliged to adhere to any of this - they can judge what - if anything - is appropriate and relevant for them. But I think this is a positive contribution to the forum that many people will appreciate. This was the case for the majority of commenters when the document was posted by @Faith Walker in the earlier thread from 2022. Muchas gracias.

Last edited by a moderator:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

arturo garcia

Pilgrim/Hospitalero/Mountain guide/Photographer
Aug 1, 2014
Hospital de Orbigo
French way (Dic. 2012), Portuguese way (Dic.2013) and now living on the Camino.
Thank you for this, Arturo. You live on the Camino - it has been your home for many years I understand - so you see first hand, and would understand better than most, some of the negative impacts of our combined presence along these wonderful paths.

I appreciated reading the recommendations. I hadn't seen the earlier thread so it was first time reading this document. I don't know anything about LNT but the document contained some worthwhile reminders and information on things I hadn't thought about. Some may disagree with particular principles or recommendations or take issue with the organisation under whose banner the doc was published, but people are not obliged to adhere to any of this - they can judge what is appropriate and relevant for them. But I think this is a positive contribution to the forum that many people will appreciate. This was the case for the majority of commenters when the document was posted by @Faith Walker in the earlier thread from 2022. Muchas gracias.
Take what you need , leave what you don´t from this recommendations. But the camino or the wilderness will always be thankful with you. Buen camino

davebugg

A Pilgrimage is time I spend praying with my feet
Feb 9, 2021
East Wenatchee, Washington State, America
2017, 2018, 2019, 2025
Take what you need , leave what you don´t from this recommendations. But the camino or the wilderness will always be thankful with you. Buen camino
Those who come from nations where there has been strong anti-littering and Leave No Trace outdoor programs for decades are not the target, though. It seems this is more of an issue for pilgrims where such strong messaging in nations, and even legal and ethical enforcement, has been missing.

That is not to say that pilgrims who come from countries that lack such programs always litter, or that those from nations which have strong LNT and anti-littering messaging never do. It means that broad brush assumptions of a need for LNT education for pilgrims is a bit misplaced. My guess is that this is more of an issue with individual scofflaws who are lazy and self-centered, rather than the pilgrim population in general.

Heck, we do not even know how much of this issue is caused by locals within an area vs pilgrims passing through.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Rick Davidson

Feb 5, 2019
Honolulu
Francis, April/May (2019), Via Francigina May 2023

All sounds pretty reasonable to me. I would support more strict waste management such as packing out all feces. It is very doable. My other pet peeve is putting packs on beds and lying down on beds is dirty hiking clothes. We can do better.

Most read last week in this forum

I have noticed a few threads about cards and with drawing money. For me as a UK citizen with the top 3 overseas cards, Chase, Clarirty and Barclay card, the main issue is where to find low fee ATM...
I found this interesting, and thought others might too...
Hi I am curious to know what snake this is, just after Astorga before Murias de Rechivaldo ... lovely little thing!
Got a notification from my Phone that we started our first Camino 8 years ago today... We accidently left our phone charger and Kindle charger at Orrison along with our euro plug adapter and...
After walking in rainy and chilly Galicia for about a week I ended up in a warm hotel room, feverish and with a cold. And I asked myself: why am I doing this? It felt like truancy, but I decided...
We are leaving Sahagún and can’t find any coffee for breakfast. Any advice or has someone seen any on the way. Saludos Nando

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides