• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Leaving Le Puy en Velay (starting from Paray le Monial on May 4th)

Luka

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Next: Camino Sanabrés (May 2024)
Wow... my manager just told me that my short sabbatical next year should be fine... This means that I can continue walking to Santiago the end of April 2015!!! At least 3 months, at least 1.700 km! Unbelievable...

Long story short: I started walking from Amsterdam to Santiago in 2010. First day walks, then weekends, then weeks, then several weeks. Until I ended up about 250 km north of Le Puy en Velay in France in 2012. My big wish was to walk all the way to Santiago from there at once. About 1.700 km.

I asked my - then - manager for an unpaid leave in 2012. He took half a year to consider it and then rejected it. Since then I have been awaiting the next 'right moment'. And now I found it: a new manager, in between assignments, enough money in my savings account... And just half an hour ago my manager said yes!!

A dream comes true... I am a bit swept off my feet now...

Last edited:
Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Congratulations!!!!!!!!!!! Enjoy.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Wow... my manager just told me that my short sabbatical next year should be fine... This means that I can continue walking to Santiago the end of April 2015!!! At least 3 months, at least 1.700 km! Unbelievable...

Long story short: I started walking from Amsterdam to Santiago in 2010. First day walks, then weekends, then weeks, then several weeks. Until I ended up about 100 km north of Le Puy en Velay in France in 2012. My big wish was to walk all the way to Santiago from there at once. About 1.700 km.

I asked my - then - manager for an unpaid leave in 2012. He took half a year to consider it and then rejected it. Since then I have been awaiting the next 'right moment'. And now I found it: a new manager, in between assignments, enough money in my savings account... And just half an hour ago my manager said yes!!

A dream comes true... I am a bit swept off my feet now...

Just woke up to this and it has made my morning. A wonderful blessing and opportunity. So absolutely thrilled for you!
Buen camino :)

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Great! Enjoy your planning of Camino! :)

Before my Camino in July 2014 I left my job, because it was first Camino and I didn't know how much time I will need for this journey. Now I know it, but for me it was the best decision which I would do again. Camino was the best experience of my life and one day I wanna walk from the Czech Republic and with peace in my soul I will leave my job again, because Camino = life!

BUEN CAMINO! ;)

Jan

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Very, very happy for you! Such a long walk is a great experience, if there is anything information wise I can help you with - just ask, SY

Wow... my manager just told me that my short sabbatical next year should be fine...

I have been awaiting the next 'right moment'. And now I found it: a new manager, in between assignments, enough money in my savings account... And just half an hour ago my manager said yes!!

What fantastic news! You must be thrilled!

I know a lot of people give up work before going on Camino, either quit their jobs or take early retirement or fully retire, and others are able to arrange a sabbatical. Sadly, for me, the latter seems unlikely - where I work, and the role I have, time off over and above holiday allowance (even unpaid time) doesn't seem a realistic proposition. So much so, in fact, that I daren't ask for fear of having my "commitment to the job" questioned, and the subsequent issues that that is likely to cause.

So I'll have to take the second option - perhaps wait until a time when I can give up work on my terms - before planning a long, continuous Camino.

One day, though (DV)! :)

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
@Julio Gone Camino I hope your time will come too! Sometimes the fear we fear most is fear itself.

You are right, of course!

Sometimes decsions have to be made that take us out of our comfort zone - they're often not easy, but need taking all the same. I think the time will come to do just that, but perhaps that time is not quite here - not especially from a fear-factor point of view, but simply because it just isn't quite the right moment.

Yet! :)

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
You are right, of course!

Sometimes decsions have to be made that take us out of our comfort zone - they're often not easy, but need taking all the same. I think the time will come to do just that, but perhaps that time is not quite here - not especially from a fear-factor point of view, but simply because it just isn't quite the right moment.

Yet! :)
I agree. As long as you keep faith that it is going to happen some day. Then you just have a very long time to look forward to it ;-)

Have a wonderful journey Luka with many blessings too. Buen Camino.:)

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
How WONDERFUL! Enjoy the planning and anticipation. Soon you will be there!

Geweldig nieuws! Your title of this thread is exactly what I hope to scream out loud in some weeks. I want to start the camino from my doorstep in Amsterdam straight to SdC for years and am now negociating with my manager fto do this next year...which means that I might completely quit my job. Sometimes the first step is a big step :cool:

While dreaming and reading about my trip I found your blogs, was very nice to read them.
Verheug ze & keep us informed. Hope you will blog again!

Ha Thomas, thanks! I hope to continue my blog when I am back on track.
Big things for you ahead as well! I didn't dare to quit my job. I hope things will work out for you as well, one way or the other!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
We are all very happy for you, Amiga!

The best part is that you will get to experience the LePuy to Santiago Camino as it should be. It is two separate experiences in one trip.

Walking through France to St. Jean is so very different than the Camino Frances in Spain. When you arrive in SJPdP after 30 odd days and seeing all those about to start ....the feeling of starting a Camino is again experienced.

Should be a little cooler (and wetter) than our Via de la Plata experiences.
I had 33 straight days of rain from LePuy, than none from St. Jean......but enjoyed them all.

:) Ah yes, the Via de la Plata...
33 days of rain, incredible... I expect (and hope) the weather to be a little bit better in May in southern France... que será, será...
It is actually 2 caminos and a small 3rd one! I want to start from Paray-le-Monial, which will most likely be about 240 km of solitude before I reach Le-Puy-en-Velay.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Only 40 days and I'll be catching a train to Paray-le-Monial!!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Buen camino, Luka,

I know this has been a long time coming for you! May it be a wonderful camino. I will be a bit behind you, I think, but who knows, maybe we will coincide if you decide to walk the Invierno. Keep in touch when you can, buen camino, Laurie

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!

Most read last week in this forum

Hello everyone, I’m about to embark on my first Camino this month in a week or so. I had plans to go with a friend but it fell through so now I’m visiting a friend in France until I work up the...
We all know there are a lot of bikers on the shared Camino path. I was knocked over in the town of Villatuerta and had to return immediately to the US for treatment after destroying my Camino on...
Hello all fellow pilgrims! To celebrate my 70th birthday I'll be following the Frances path from St Jean Pied de Port to Santiago de Compostela. Really excited abut the journey for me starting...
Good evening all! We began our yearly route to Santiago, today! We 4 Peregrinos resumed our Camino at Rabanal del Camino and walked to Acebo. We encountered Snow, Hail Stones and rain. We loved...
Hi Camino Family, I am travelling from Australia to start the Le Puy Camino May 27th 2024. If there is anyone else planning on walking around this time, it would be great to connect. I speak...
June 22 -@Amachant (SJPP)

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back