leon airport-on the camino?

rambo

Mar 2, 2011
I am picking up a travel mate at the leon airport which i see is 4 miles outside of leon. Does anyone know if the airport is on the frances trail or do I have to return to Leon to carry on with my trip?
If it's on the trail is there a good place to stay by the airport?

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
D

Deleted member 3000

It is just off the Camino. Three times I have landed at Leon, walked up the hill, stopped at an ATM, and walked on to the next town (two choices). You can stay in the Hostal Central, or one of the best albergues on the pilgrimage just behind the Central. The Central was about 25 Euro for a decent single.

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
A selection of Camino Jewellery
D

Deleted member 3000

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source= ... 27595&z=15

Villadangos del Paramo or Vilar de Mazarife are generally the next stop after Leon.

The airport is after Leon. There is a city bus approximately every hour from the airport to Plaza de Santo Domingo. You could take the bus into Leon, see the sights, take the bus back to La Virgen del Camino, and start walking or stop at the albergue in La Virgen.

annakappa

RIP 2024
Jan 6, 2009
Costa Rica
Time of past OR future Camino
Part frances jun 07/rest frances may- jun 2008/Frances sept-oct 2009/ Sanabres Oct 2010/Frances sept-oct 2011/Aragones Sept-Oct 2012. Hospitalero Sept 2010, Amiga in Pilgrim's Office Oct 2013. Part Primitivo Oct 2013. Portugues from Porto June 2015.
One of my favourite albergues is in Valverde de la Virgen "La Casa del Camino" rund by a delightful couple Zacharias and Pilar. You could actually walk from the airport, turn right when you reach the main road and in about 40 minutes you arrive. It's the first building on the right hand side of the street as you enter the village. Anne

renegadepilgrim

Veteran Pilgrim and Traveler
Apr 13, 2007
Portland, OR, USA
renegadepilgrim.com
2010: Camino Frances, 2011: Santo Domingo de la Calzada (Hospitalera), 2012: Camino Portuguese from Porto, 2015: Camino Norte
I recommend staying in La Virgen del Camino, and by all means, make sure you go find the church! It is amazing and I am certain that many peregrinos walk right by it not knowing what a treat it is inside. It is the only post-Vatican II church I found along the Camino (I wasn't really looking that hard, so maybe there are more), but it includes the altar-piece from one of the original incarnations of the church so it has the old with the new and it is done quite well, I think. The municipal albergue is nice. Decent kitchen, close to grocery stores, etc.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

rambo

Mar 2, 2011
Thanks for your responses. I haven't been very clear.
My travelmate is coming in very late at nite so we would want to go from the airport to someplace close for the night. The next morning we would just carry on the camino ie. he would never see Leon.
So is there a place reasonably close to the airport? Is la virgen the closest place?
I see it's a 40 minute walk to la virgen, are there taxis at the airport?

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
D

Deleted member 3000

Is hostal central a hotel?
I have been told that the difference between hotel and hostal is the presence of a restaurant. Hostal Central has a bar with food.
Is it easy to find?
Bear left as you walk up the hill from the airport, and you cannot miss it.
When you say easy walking distance, how long is that?
See the map in the earlier post.
Is walking around late at nite safe?
Yes.

Thornley

Veteran Member
Aug 30, 2008
Melbourne/Australia
Frances x 2 , Norte x 2 , Le Puy x 3 , Portuguese x 2,
Mont St Michel , Primitivo .
I have a friend who is meeting his wife who commences in St. J P De P in Leon.
He is flying in from Oz and arrives at 10pm.
After a day they will continue together.

1 Could anyone help with how to get into Leon at this time of the evening. Are buses available or any idea on taxis costs.
2 Could anyone recommend accommodation , obviously the albergues would be unavailable.
Any decent pension would be wonderful , especially one still available for accepting this late at night
Maybe a hotel ?

Thanks everyone for any assistance.
D

Most read last week in this forum

Snoring (another post ...) After 4 days of seriously noisy snorers in albergues, I was getting increasingly drained during the day. At one point, I was thinking whether I can continue, whether I...
I wasn't sure I was going to post "live from the Camino" for this Camino. I'm happy to do so on my solo Caminos, but when I am walking with family, my focus is a little elsewhere and I am mindful...
Hi All! I will arrive SDC on 5/17 and need a bed for 5/17 & 18. I can't find anything ,( well, the Parador for 800eu). Any & all help is greatly appreciated. I've checked gronze and all apps...
Hello; I started my camino on May 15th, today husband and I walked from Roncesvalles to Zubiri. I did the Camino in 2019 and the path from alto erro to Zubiri has eroded and is more hazardous...
@Monasp has just posted two tables of statistics from the SJPDP pilgrim office on their Facebook account. Numbers of different nationalities recorded so far this year: the USA being the largest...
I've been reading about the different routes etc and I have seen that the longest route is over a month, but also that some people just walk for a weekend or a few days or a week. I want to do a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides