• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Letting go

Kialoa3

This morning, with life restoring pots of tea at hand, Robin and I talked in the shifting shadows before the fireplace, and yes the subject was the camino (as always these days), I reflected back to a previous conversation we had about letting go. In short the associated vision is a large old house with many rooms. These rooms represent the various places in our mind where we have placed our life's baggage. Perhaps we have done this to avoid an unpleasantness, delay a confrontation, because we lack the knowledge of what to do, because we fear the unknown, or maybe we are just procrastinators. Whatever the reason this is our house, the place where we dwell. These rooms contain all the constraints and limitations we have placed upon ourselves. These are the things that encumber life's essential freedom (to be). The realization that whatever is entombed in this labyrinth of passageways impedes our journey, limits our happiness and denies what is possible, should give us the courage to approach each door, confront its contents, reconcile or remove what is within, and then move on. Yes, I know it is a lot harder to actually do. As we approach D-Day (tomorrow is departure day for St. Jean) Robin and I have a shared commitment to use our time on the camino to throw open those doors (and a few windows too) and let the scouring winds of the Meseta help us clean house.

For neatniks, progress on house cleaning can be found at agoodwalkunspoiled.blogspot.com

Cheers,
John

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Yes - Buen Camino and thanks for your blog,

Andy

Thank you to all for your guidance and support over the many months Robin and I have been preparing for this journey. The forum members are an extraordinary group of folks who helped turn our dream into a reality. We attended our farewell mass at St. Mary Cathedral of the Immaculate Conception, in Portland, this morning. Robin has been choir member there for close to ten years. We gathered our prayers together with all those whose lives have been touched by the camino, and offered our thanks for the gift of this journey, and prayed for a safe passage both for us and for all those now walking the Way. God willing, it will be so.

As a parting thought (that in my mind seems relevant) I'll share what Robin reminds me of from time to time, "the cage of our lives does not have a lock." I'll leave it simply at that. Maybe that will be a discussion for another day.

Peace be with you,
John and Robin

I will be attending Mass at the Cathedral in Portland later tonight. I will be sure to pray for a safe journey for the two of you. Perhaps when you return, you can join the small group that is forming in Portland of Camino veterans and newbies alike? Safe travels and buen camino!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Renegadepilgrim,

Many thanks for your prayers and kind thoughts. Robin and I will be sure to check in with the Portland group once we return. Perhaps we shall see you at the cathedral. With Robin in the choir we are always at the 11:00. It sounds like you attend the 5:30.

Cheers and thanks again,
John

Yep, I like the music at the 5:30p Mass on Sundays....look forward to meeting you two when you get back to the PNW!!! Galicia reminds me of Oregon/Washington....so green and mountainous! Enjoy!

Heather

All the very best Robin and John. Have a buen camino. Carole

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Robin & John. I love your philosophy. I had never thought about the Camino in this way, but yes, our lives are like that. One of the most significant aspects that I find when walking the Camino is in fact, the leaving behind your "treasured"? belongings, the family worries, house, pets, etc. etc. You are really back to basic - and for me, that is the way it should be. To also approach this long Camino with a most definate spiritual approach, receiving a blessing, even before you leave home and security and to set out into the unknown can only strenghten your experience. God speed.Anne

Buen Camino, you two web-foots!

And since this thread contains some Portlanders, try attending the Contemplative Mass at St. Ignatius at 7:30 pm on Sunday. It's BEAUTIFUL!

@anniesantiago Thanks for the reminder about the contemplative mass at St. Ignatius. I had totally forgotten about that. I was thinking about how loud it is sometimes at Mass when I was at Cathedral the other night. Sometimes I just need some quiet and mass at St. Ignatius is a great place for it.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
We all undertake the camino for different reasons. For yours, and all others, I wish you a buen camino. I hope we can cross paths. I am en route now to boston, Logan. This time tomorrow I hope to be walking!
:)

Kialoa3 said:
This morning, with life restoring pots of tea at hand, Robin and I talked in the shifting shadows before the fireplace, and yes the subject was the camino (as always these days), I reflected back to a previous conversation we had about letting go. In short the associated vision is a large old house with many rooms. These rooms represent the various places in our mind where we have placed our life's baggage. Perhaps we have done this to avoid an unpleasantness, delay a confrontation, because we lack the knowledge of what to do, because we fear the unknown, or maybe we are just procrastinators. Whatever the reason this is our house, the place where we dwell. These rooms contain all the constraints and limitations we have placed upon ourselves. These are the things that encumber life's essential freedom (to be). The realization that whatever is entombed in this labyrinth of passageways impedes our journey, limits our happiness and denies what is possible, should give us the courage to approach each door, confront its contents, reconcile or remove what is within, and then move on. Yes, I know it is a lot harder to actually do. As we approach D-Day (tomorrow is departure day for St. Jean) Robin and I have a shared commitment to use our time on the camino to throw open those doors (and a few windows too) and let the scouring winds of the Meseta help us clean house.

For neatniks, progress on house cleaning can be found at agoodwalkunspoiled.blogspot.com

Cheers,
John

Most read last week in this forum

Snoring (another post ...) After 4 days of seriously noisy snorers in albergues, I was getting increasingly drained during the day. At one point, I was thinking whether I can continue, whether I...
Now it's done, and I'm showered, fed and generally numbed with alcohol, it was great. Fortunately, the weather was cool all day, the rain held off and the terrain was rolling countryside. But...
Hi All! I will arrive SDC on 5/17 and need a bed for 5/17 & 18. I can't find anything ,( well, the Parador for 800eu). Any & all help is greatly appreciated. I've checked gronze and all apps...
Hello; I started my camino on May 15th, today husband and I walked from Roncesvalles to Zubiri. I did the Camino in 2019 and the path from alto erro to Zubiri has eroded and is more hazardous...
We all know there are a lot of bikers on the shared Camino path. I was knocked over in the town of Villatuerta and had to return immediately to the US for treatment after destroying my Camino on...
We are in Santa Marina del rey staying at a hostel costing 59 euros after redirecting from our destination which was San Martin del Camino. We found the albergues were all booked or closed after...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back