• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Lighter windbreaker type coat vs. warmer goretex type coat

Wandershot

CarolG
Time of past OR future Camino
2014, 2019, 2022, 2023
I'll be starting the Camino in mid-August and I'm having coat angst. For the temperature, I think that my windbreaker would be better. It's a Columbia "omni-shield" which means water resistant but it's not a rain coat. Or I could take my heavier shell which is "omni-tech", meaning water proof but it's also designed for much cooler weather. (Where do they come up with these names?). Just to complicate matters, after the Camino, I'll be meeting a friend in Ireland where the heavier coat would be welcome. But I could have her bring it for me.

My gut is to take the lighter coat. And then just buy a cheap rain poncho along the way if I feel that I need to. But I would appreciate your opinion.

Thanks in advance for your advice....and see you in August.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Wandershot,

Welcome to the Forum!

Organizing your kit can be problematic! Many pilgrims consider lightweight layers the way to dress, especially for hiking during the cooler months. Read what others and I have recently written regarding water proof jackets in this recent thread. Personally I would take a light weight water repellant shell and a poncho.

Buen Camino,

Margaret Meredith

Wandershot,
"My gut is to take the lighter coat. And then just buy a cheap rain poncho along the way..." - suggest going with what your gut is telling you, especially when it is supported by the wisdom of an experienced peregrina like mspath.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I opt for the light water repellent jacket (4 oz. Houdini) coupled with a GoLite ChromeDome umbrella (doubles nicely for sun protection).

The Houdini, coupled with a roll-sleeve Columbia backpacking shirt, was all I needed temperature-wise down roughly 35-40F (others might not handle cold as well and might want a thin fleece). The key thing is that, once you've stopped the wind from stripping your heat away, even minimal insulation with minimal movement is sufficient to stay safely (and even comfortably) warm.

I opt for the light water repellent jacket (4 oz. Houdini) coupled with a GoLite ChromeDome umbrella (doubles nicely for sun protection).

+1 on the Houdini. One of my favorite pieces of gear when backpacking.

+1 on the Houdini. One of my favorite pieces of gear when backpacking.
Thanks for the advice. I'll go with the lighter coat and do the poncho thing if need be. I just got my plane ticket, have pre-packed my bag (twice) and am working on getting my practice walks up to a respectable mileage. See you on the camino in Aug!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I found that I used walking sticks so ended up leaving my brella at an alberguie. Poncho was the way to go for me. Needed do keep my pack dry.

I am walking the Camino in Sept./Oct the year and researched the same thing and this is the combination that I came up with that I think will be effective. I sprung for a lightweight waterproof climbing shell that is waterproof, wind resistant, light weight and the important thing is its breathable. The bad thing is the retail price of these coats is around $400 (I bought mine on ebay for $100) Its a Mountain Hardware "DryQ" . then for warmth I have a down puffy coat that is almost weightless and rolls up into a small ball when not in use. I have a waterproof cover for my pack also. I started out with a poncho but its heavy and you sweat like a pig when you wear it so I opted to leave it home...

I hate ponchos with a passion.

I like a lightweight Goretex jacket then take whatever layering is appropriate.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I hate ponchos with a passion.

I like a lightweight Goretex jacket then take whatever layering is appropriate.

Me too. I used one in the army, and swore never again.
But if need out weighs passion, I'll buy a cheap one on the way.

I'm also having angst about my jacket. I'm from Fla. do not relish cold. I have a trusty Columbia jacket, two piece with removable fleece liner and rain proof outer. I've used in for years on cold weather trips, including several trips to Spain and on the Camino in Galicia in Sept. 2012.
Now I've become weight obsessed and am worried about taking this jacket because it weighs 4 lbs. total.
I'm leaning toward the fleece lining and a light windbreaker/rain jacket to half that weight.

Don Ebbs, my wife and I are leaving the Roncesvalles area on Sept. 23. Hope we meet up somewhere along the Way.

I'll be starting the Camino in mid-August and I'm having coat angst. For the temperature, I think that my windbreaker would be better. It's a Columbia "omni-shield" which means water resistant but it's not a rain coat. Or I could take my heavier shell which is "omni-tech", meaning water proof but it's also designed for much cooler weather. (Where do they come up with these names?). Just to complicate matters, after the Camino, I'll be meeting a friend in Ireland where the heavier coat would be welcome. But I could have her bring it for me.

My gut is to take the lighter coat. And then just buy a cheap rain poncho along the way if I feel that I need to. But I would appreciate your opinion.

Hi! Last year I did de French Way from SJPP to Finisterre, from mid Augst to mid September, I took a The North Face waterproof set of jacket and pants, extremely light, made of a material which allows ventilation and I bought it a little loose in order to wear it on top of everything even my pants. It worked wonderful, as protection from the rain and as windbreaker in the chilly mornings when I started walking with 6 or 7°C. If you have any more questions don't doubt in asking, I'll be more than pleased to help you. Regards and Buen Camino!

Me too. I used one in the army, and swore never again.
But if need out weighs passion, I'll buy a cheap one on the way.

I'm also having angst about my jacket. I'm from Fla. do not relish cold. I have a trusty Columbia jacket, two piece with removable fleece liner and rain proof outer. I've used in for years on cold weather trips, including several trips to Spain and on the Camino in Galicia in Sept. 2012.
Now I've become weight obsessed and am worried about taking this jacket because it weighs 4 lbs. total.
I'm leaning toward the fleece lining and a light windbreaker/rain jacket to half that weight.

Don Ebbs, my wife and I are leaving the Roncesvalles area on Sept. 23. Hope we meet up somewhere along the Way.
One of the best pieces of advice I can give you is, don't rely on what you have, buy stuff exclusively for this trip. It is worth it and you won't regret it.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

I walked a lot of the way with a guy from southern California. He was suffering in the mountains! I'm from Scotland and thought the weather was very mild for the time of year :)

I've got a Columbia two piece as well. It was brilliant but like you said, heavy.

I walked a lot of the way with a guy from southern California. He was suffering in the mountains! I'm from Scotland and thought the weather was very mild for the time of year :)

I've got a Columbia two piece as well. It was brilliant but like you said, heavy.
Stuart, you've hit on the other part of my problem. I'm staying in Europe after completing the Camino in late October, and will visit Northern Scotland near the end of November. I suspect I'll be grateful for my jacket and boots at that time. ;)
I have lots of gear that I've used and am used to, so I just have to mix and match for best results. Fortunately, I have family in Santander, Spain, and I'll likely mail some extras to them for my post-Camino.
Yes, living in southern climes has its challenges. This morning's low temperature was 24 C. :eek:

I recommend a waterproof (not just water repellant) outer shell. It does not need to have any insulating properties. Your mid layer fleece or down jacket will take care of that. But you NEED some sort of serious water protection as you may spend days in the rain. You can take the windbreaker AND the poncho but that is just unnecessary weight.

Seriously, if you don't own the right gear, and you can afford it, I would recommend getting the right gear. It sounds like you have 1) a non-waterproof windbreaker and 2) a heavier waterproof and warm coat. Neither fit the bill if you ask me, but if you bring a poncho and use it in conjunction with the lightweight windbreaker, you'll be fine. (Though more weight.)

I've walked the Camino with only a T-sheet, a lightweight fleece and a poncho. I even used the poncho as a windbreaker AND wrapped my fleece sleeping bag liner around my body for added insulation when it got windy and cold. Crazy. Really crazy. :)

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Is cost a concern here? The solution you are suggesting is cheap but likely to be uncomfortable, especially if you wait on the Camino to purchase your poncho (waterproof layer). When the rain clouds start rolling in, there is not likely to be a cheap poncho available (or maybe you'll get lucky). Your challenge will be to get your waterproof gear on before you're soaked, not finding a store. You need a good, waterproof, lightweight outer layer, either a waterproof, breathable hardshell jacket or an equivalent poncho. Or, as mentioned previously, you could use an umbrella and hope it's not too windy. Nothing is going to keep you completely dry, but an extremely lightweight windproof jacket on its own is going to be miserable in any kind of rain. Good quality, lightweight, breathable hardshell jackets have reputable brands (last season's models) on sale for roughly $100 and at times for considerably less. You might also want to consider what is likely to happen to a cheap poncho in rainy, windy conditions, which describes seven or eight of my days on the Camino. Or you could roll the dice and get lucky.

There is some good advice in the post above by tploomis. I didn't see the part where the OP was thinking of buying a poncho on the Camino. No, forget that idea. Bring your own if you are planning on using a poncho since you may need it right away. Another option would be to buy a lightweight hardshell waterproof and breathable jacket and trousers. I would recommend the trousers as well. I have a lightweight pair weighing 250g, Berghaus is the brand and they are Gore Tex. Very nice to have when it's pouring.

Ponchos, in relatively low-wind conditions, can be quite good and tend to vent more than jackets, reducing moisture build up inside. In high winds they may whip around a lot and not do such a great job at keeping you dry.

If you opt for the jacket and trousers, you'll also need either a rain cover for your pack or a waterproof liner (bag) to keep all your stuff dry when you're walking through torrential rains. With a poncho you shouldn't need one.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone. You have won me over to the "no poncho" club. Went to REI yesterday and got a goretex/breathable light jacket.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Most read last week in this forum

I’m leaving soon for CP and again attempted to use what’s app without success. I was trying to call a hotel in Spain, it just rings but nothing else. A few years ago I tried using in within Spain...
I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
So I have heard common wisdom is to bring a silk liner for your Camino (+/- a sleeping bag depending on your preference and season). Specifically regarding silk liners, all of the ones I've...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.